Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Ok, my local shop recharged my AC with 134 and it is blowing cold air but only through the 2 outside vents. I feel a very tiny amount around the middle 2 vents and the sensor, but essentially no air is flowing out of them. What could be the culprit here and what can I check first? I sure hope this can be tackled without removal of the dash. Thanks.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
You have a vacuum leak in the line that opens the center vents. What I did since you have to remove the dash to replace that vacuum actuator was rig the flap opened. I removed the vents and rubber duct and then removed the glove box and I ziptied the flap open. I now have full force air and heat.

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
You have a vacuum leak in the line that opens the center vents. What I did since you have to remove the dash to replace that vacuum actuator was rig the flap opened. I removed the vents and rubber duct and then removed the glove box and I ziptied the flap open. I now have full force air and heat.

79Mercy,, Are you going to fix this right when you get your new DASH??:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
^^Yes, I plan to replace all the vacuum operated things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 79. Which vents and ducts did you remove before the glove box removal? How easy was it? Do you have defrost air coming out now at all or is this controlled by this same vacuum actuator?

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Remove the glove box:

pry out the light
pry the top portion off of the the clips
pry the bottom portion out
pull the box out from under the latch and thenfeed the light through the hole

Remove the rubber duct by pulling it off the vents

Hold the back part of the vent and turn it until and then pull it out. You can leave the ring in the dash if you want.

There is a 1inch piece of linkage coming up off the flap and then the actuator linkage going to the small inch piece with a screw. When they are connected it forms a 90 degree angle.

What I did was take one ziptie and put it around the 1inch linkage under the screw and then took another ziptie and fed it through the first one and then ziptied it to the bracket that the actuator is mounted to.

Hope that made some sense. Good luck

·
Registered
84 300D Turbo
56 Posts
The other possibility is that the nut and bolt that attaches from the vacuum accuator to the vent door mechanism has fallen off ... most likely to vibration. I bought an 84 300DT with 53,000 miles a few years ago and that was the problem. There's a guy that sells videos on how to repair various 123 problems on Ebay. I bought the one that shows how to remove the dash and then repaired. He suggested that when you replace the nut and bolt to use using a nut that has plastic threads to better withstand the diesel vibrations.

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
Any vacumn pods or controls on the Non ACC system?

I have the Ac with three big dials and a temperature wheel and two sliders to control vents.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,901 Posts
Could someone please post a pic of the vacuum actuator or maybe an ebay link to it? Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts