Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru WRX STi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off I don't have an SLK, but that is the point. I am considering selling my '04 WRX STi and getting an '01-'03 SLK. My question is, what other than power, are the differences between the 230 kompressor and the 320? Are there any major mechenical defects I should keep and eye out for? or any pointers on what to look for with these cars. I am trying to get away from the whole Fast and Furious look, but still want somthing sporty. Any input should help, Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
190E 2.3 & SLK230K
403 Posts
holy crap...lol...you're going from a STi to a R170...[:0]

hmm...i highly recommend you search for a SLK32 AMG (354 hp, 0-60 mph in 4.8 sec) 'cause you're not gonna like driving a much slower car...

SLK230K vs. SLK320

main difference is the power...

230 has 190 hp and 320 has 215 hp...

doesn't seem much of a difference but the 320 is a lot quicker and the power delivery is a lot smoother than the 230K...

get a SLK32!

·
Registered
Subaru WRX STi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the whole point in looking at the SLK is the fact that it is slower I'm getting in WAY to much trouble with the STi and have decided that I might not be mature enough to own a street legal rally car. Pluss I'm looking for something that is classier and still fun to drive. Also I've never had a convertalbe and love them. Thanks for the tip though I'll start focusing on the 32.

Chris

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Well there are slight styling differences between the 230 and 320. Bumpers look a bit classier on the 320 and more aggressive on the 32, all with respect to the 230. Exhaust note on the 320 is awesome, power is plentiful, and I've never heard of engine problems on a 320. The 230s seem to have lots of little problems associated with the supercharger. On the interior, most 230s have carbon fiber while 320s have wood trim. 320s have many features standard such as seat heaters...at least on the 03 model year. But if you've got the money, a used 32 can be had for 34-45K, while a used 320 can be had for around 30K...this is assuming late model years around 02 or 03.

The STi is a great car, too bad you've decided to give it up, but you picked a good car to switch to. Good luck.

P.S. Get a magma red one...they're the best[;)]

·
Registered
Subaru WRX STi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks guys for all the input it's exactly what I was looking for. So what I have gathered so far is the 320 is better and has fewer problems with the drive train, which is a big issue with me. I would like to know the 320 inside out before I decide to give up the 'ol STi, so if anyone has any links to statistics (acceleration, weight, handling, stopping) please post them up. Thankyou again for the input.

Chris

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
My advice is to drive a SLK32 before you make the final decision for a 320. I still smile on my commute to/from work driving the 32, even though I don't use the performance. [:D] If you search this board there are some good references and information the SLK. Some writers have had issues with the steering and auto transmission as the only option on the SLK32. Try these links:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=3103

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2002_Mercedes-Benz_SLK&ReviewID=1131

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=106&page_number=1

Good luck on your hunt and decision.
Billy Ray

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
get a 320... they seem to have less problems (engine wise) everything else is just the same... exhaust sounds a lot better too! if you have a lil more money to spend.. go for the 32.. just my opinion

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Here is a good pdf file that I stumbled across while doing the research before I bought my 32. I think it is a summary sheet mostly for educating salesmen at this particular dealer, but I think it has the comparison info you are looking for. It is specific to the 2003 model but I think is also accurate for 2002 and 2004 with some minor exceptions. For what it is worth, I had decided on and was shopping for a 320 due to many of the reasons listed above (more power, better exhaust note, wood trim, styling, etc) but after I drove the 32 I decided it had everything the 320 had plus a ton more power. It was more expensive but remember you can't take it with you.

http://www.beckimports.net/PDF Files/7_SLK-Class_20031.pdf

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
Factoring insurance in? You seem like a younger guy, so the STi must be murder. Check the insurance of the 32 and 320. I drive an '02 230 and love it! Good luck with whatever you decide. BTW nice car, much faster than the 230!

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
Speaking of insurance, I don't understand why but insurance on my 03 SLK 32 was only $40.00 a year more than on my 99 F-150 and about $100.00 cheaper than my wife's 05 Dodge Magnum with a 3.5 V-6 all with the same deductables. I'm not complaining![:)]

·
Registered
Subaru WRX STi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks again you guys are great at providing help. I can tell there is a much higher maturity level here then on most forums. Yes I am only 20 so insurance on the STi is a bit high. I think from what I have found at what you guys have provided me with that I'm going to be looking for a deal on a 320. I would like the power of the 32 but then again that is part of my reason for changing cars (too much power, not enough self control) so the 320 will probably do fine. I had the chance to drive an 01 SLK 230 and it was very nice. I realy liked the ride not nearly as sport tuned as my STi much more relaxed! It seemed to run out of throtle quickly so I am hoping the V6 is a little better, but whatever the case I believe that the SLk is a great all around car. I have noticed people metioning engien problems could someone please elaborate in these. I have done some searching but don't realy know what I'm looking for. Thanks again for the help!!

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts