1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Newby - E320 questions - help.

Hello,

We have just bought a 1994 E320. I had four questions.

1. How do you turn on the lights that are directly on each side of the grill?

A. I think you pull the light switch while the lights are on?

2. What does the button in the middle of the dash with the rectangle on its side with 2 lines through it do? Its the top button of 3. bottom is recirculating air. middle is Eco air con.

3. The rear head rests seem to be locked in the up position, or is there a trick to getting them to move up and down?

4. Is climate control only active when the control is set to the dot at about 7o'clock?

Thanks to all who help, sorry if these are common questions, I did read 4 pages but nothing seemed to be pointing at the answers.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
you answered question 1...#2 is the rear window defroster. #3 push the headrest button-has a chair with an arrow pointing at the headrest. #4...iono, shouldn't it be active all the time?

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
I use the defrost (far left ) as a quick heater in the morning as its warm in a block or less . The Zero to the right is off everything .The circle of arrows is air recirculation, it shuts off after 30 minutes .

Other odd things about the car

1 You will get rear pillar light if the tailgate is unlatched while driving.
2 With wipers on the rear wiper starts if you shift to reverse
3 Try your alarm , by leaving the driver window down , lock the car from outside wait a 15 sec. . Reach in an unlatch the door. Movement of doors -hood- tailgate -switches - stepping on pedals .will set it off.
4 The split rear bench seat, both rear doors need to be open for the locking mechanism to release.
5 Do not interchange front and rear headrests.

See if you have heated seats or telescoping steering column (switch on lower left column ) ?

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,511 Posts
Uboater, unless I missed something the original poster didn't state that he's talking about a wagon. While I agree with your statements 1, 2, 3, and 5 I don't agree with #4. On my 88 wagon opening one rear door allows the seat on that side to fold down; the rear door on the other side doesn't need to be open.

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Button still a mystery.

Hello,

The car is a sedan - but thanks for the wagon tips - it does have telescope steering, isn't it funny what you find when you don't get an owners manual?

The button is not the rear demister - that button is in the upper left of the dash controls, right next to the rear headrest button - which I think must be broken because they just stay up when you press it. Rear demister is the best I've ever used only a couple of mins and clear.

Are there any photos of E320 centre dashs with labels on the net anyone can direct me to. That would be very helpful as I guess it depends on the options the car has as to what buttons it has.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Wokawok said:
Hello,

The car is a sedan - but thanks for the wagon tips - it does have telescope steering, isn't it funny what you find when you don't get an owners manual?

The button is not the rear demister - that button is in the upper left of the dash controls, right next to the rear headrest button - which I think must be broken because they just stay up when you press it. Rear demister is the best I've ever used only a couple of mins and clear.

Are there any photos of E320 centre dashs with labels on the net anyone can direct me to. That would be very helpful as I guess it depends on the options the car has as to what buttons it has.

Thanks
is this what you wanted?

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picture with labels.

Please have a look at the picture and see if you can "Name that button?"

1. Demister.
2. Rear headrest...broken, because they just stay up.

What about the other two?

Attachments

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
#1 is rear window defrost (via heated wires)

"What is" is instant maximum defrost--Euro requirement to identify how to easily achieve maximum windscreen defrost.

What you surmise is "climate control on" appears to be "vent" setting, i.e. interior airflow via movement of car only. Keep turning to activate the fan.

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help.

I have checked alot of dashes on '94 E320s and they all seem to be the same as the one battlecat714 posted.

Is mine the correct dash for a 1994 E320?

Car was a Japanese import.

·
Registered
'92 W124 230E (Manual) '81 W123 230E (Auto) both manufactured in South Africa
147 Posts
The button with the two crosses through it is the dehumidifier. I scanned this from my 1992 230E Owner Manual:

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
Wokawok said:
2. Rear headrest...broken, because they just stay up.
Try holding it for two or more seconds, with mine sometimes it take's time to kick in.

·
Registered
'92 W124 230E (Manual) '81 W123 230E (Auto) both manufactured in South Africa
147 Posts
Hey good advice, mine also needs to be held for a bit before they pop down

·
Registered
'94 E320 (154k) '99 (120k) CLK320(sold) '04 Mazda 6s (sold) '86 Merkur XR4TI (sold)
73 Posts
Is it possible that the button with the two lines is some sort of traction control button? I've had other cars with a similar button and that was what it was for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts