Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have just brought a 2001 110 CDi, The temp gauge says it 120 degrees all the time, its been sat on my drive for 2days and still 120, the fan doesn't come on nor is the engine hot, I ran it for around 20mins and popped the expansion cap off with no trouble. I'm new to MB vehicle's and have already sorted a few niggly problems from browsing through this forum. Would like to get this sorted then it's off for a re-spray.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks John

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Different!

most temp gauge problems are the gauge runs at 65c and the temp should be 85c.

2 likely causes, 1 is "easy" the other a real problem.

firstly check the sender, only real way is to replace it
(£10 to £20 depending on source.... mb is best but phone around)

the other cause is likely to be the unit in the instrument panel is faulty...... strip the unit out (2 screws in top and careful leverage) check and clean all connectors...... if its still up the creek, look for a new one (SORRY)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you malcolm, I took the instrument panel out today, think its up the creek as I played with the wires and now its always 50 degrees although at least now it does go up as normal when the engine is running, it will do for now so ill know if its over heating.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
if it keeps working and rising as the engine warms but shows low (normal is 85c) the only thing is to replace thermostat and sender.

neither are cheap and the only real problem is an inefficient heater.... as I said its a VERY common problem........ 50% change them 50% don't

1 - 4 of 4 Posts