Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1972 220D 2 days ago. 1st benz and 1st diesel. Couldn't pass up as rust free body with 86k from original owner. Brake lines shot from sitting but ran with alot of smoke.Picked up new fuel filters, oil filter, oil and glow plugs. Replaced glow plugs and now it won't start not even a hitch yet ran yesterday.I put all the wires back on in the order they came off. -Anybody know where the windshield washer pump is located, I was told it was under fuse box on subframe but no go. Thanks in advance and can't wait to get this thing on the road.
-joe-

·
Registered
28 Ford roadster P.U., 83 380 se, 73 350 slc, 86 190E 2.3 16V, Ford F-250, 81 Harley Low Rider, more
22 Posts
The "switch" should be on the floor where an old style dimmer switch would be. It is gravity feed from the bottle under the hood, the the bulb on the floor. Then when you press the bulb, it squirts fluid to the windshield. As for the not starting, you may have air in the lines. You will have to bleed each injector in order by cracking each line loose one at a time and spinning the motor over untill clean air free fuel comes out. once you have all four done she should fire. Also make sure you are giving the car a good 30 second preglow before you start it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh that something else - this pre glow thing -the light on the dash does'nt come on even before I switched the glow plugs, is this normal or can I replace this? Thanks for the info as I'm really liking this car
-joe-

·
Registered
28 Ford roadster P.U., 83 380 se, 73 350 slc, 86 190E 2.3 16V, Ford F-250, 81 Harley Low Rider, more
22 Posts
You may already know, but to activate the glow plugs, you have to pull the switch just shy of the start position and hold it. The glow element should begin to glow, then after twenty or thirty seconds you can fully pull the switch for a start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep figured out the pull switch - what I mean is the thing over the wheel supposed to light - And I just tried that hand pump near the fuel block and when I pumped there was fuel leaking out but still no start and no catching -wondering if I should have left old plugs alone
THANXX
-joe-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts