Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Midnight Blue 1990 560SEL in great shape. There are a few minor scratches where the keys hit the door (and where the Mobil station attendent dragged the spare across the hood - ugh!) and numerous swirl marks, oh, yeh, and a couple of water spots (?). So, I start by washing the car with (what/whose?) car wash, then I use Scratch-X on those scuffs, and (what/whose?) on the swirls? If that's the extent of my damage, is clay necessary --- is it always recommended? Then I polish it? or is that what the clay does? Then when it looks like glass, I wax it. All the products are probably Meguiars (although their website is too extensive for me as a novice to figure out). Oh, I forgot --- I go out and buy a Porter-Cable 7424 Buffer for the claying, polishing, waxing. How'm I doing so far? [:D]

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
In in less than 24 hrs I'm flying to FL to pick up my first Mercedes which is a 99CLK320. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come.

RE: Otpimum spray on car wax. Has anyone used it on their rims.

Thx! David

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
ScratchX is a good spot hand applied polish but it takes a lot of elbow grease and multiple applications to work it's magic. First wash the car really good and then clay the car. Use a more aggresive product to polish like Meguiars #80 a little more aggresive than ScratchX or #83 a little more aggresive than #80. You can hand apply but it will take you all day to do the proper job. Pickup a Porter Cable 7336 buffer for under $100 at Lowes, it's really easy to use and some buffing pads from the same place that sells the #80/#83 (any auto paint supply store will have this stuff). Once you get all the imperfections you can get out of the paint, apply a nice wax to protect the shine. I've found that Meg's NXT Tech Wax provides a deep shine and is the easiest product to apply, put it on the entire car as thinly as possible, let it dry for 15 min and then remove. It's best to use the buffer even for wax, applies a nice even thin coat but use a finishing pad. It dries clear so you don't have to worry do much about getting it on emblems and doesn't dust much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts