Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just picked up a 84 380sl. its in good condition overall. now im completely clueless when it comes to these cars. the car does have a one or two issues. it does idle high only when its not in gear, im either thinking its a vacuum leak but what else should i look for? the thing that scares me is the mileage, it has 230k miles on it. how do these cars hold up with mileage that high? it is not a DD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i did receive some maintenance documents, i havent had a chance to check through all of them yet. i thought i saw somewhere that 84 was the first year that they changed to double chains to avoid the single chain expanding and causing timing to jump, was that correct? it is a v8

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

MB did return to using a double row chain set in '84 for the M116 engine. But that does not alleviate the age and wear failures inherent in operating a twenty eight year old car. One of the more important of those maintenance issues is the timing chain and related components.

Also use rowdie's link to make yourself aware of the driveline flex disc issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts