Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hello. Just did the deal yesterday on a 66k mile 1991 300SL, red with beige interior. One very good repaint about 11 years ago that is holding up beatifully, NO rust. Car has some issues that both an indy repair shop and I will be working through over the next couple of weeks but overall an excellent buy and great car.

Hard top and black soft top, chrome (I'd have preferred no chrome) 17" AMG five spoke wheels. Basically bone stock other than the wheels. ASR but no posi.

I bought the car to drive for about a year at which time my oldest son will start driving and he'll get this one. I just sold a 540 RWHP S55 so I'll be looking to go back to an E63 or SL63 / 65 once he starts driving. I figured the underpowered and very reliable straight six was a better choice for a first driver than the V8.

The PO had the car in a local indy shop (very good MB shop, do all my MB work) for replacement of all the top cylinders. I saw it there and asked about it and sure enough the widower owner with three other newer cars was looking to sell. I negotiated a fair deal based on the top work being done and everything else functioning and sound based on a test drive and routine PPI.

As it turns out I identified that to be perfect in addition to the top cylinders the cars needs:
1. AC evaporator (oil stains on bottom of drain tubes and won't hold a charge)
2. Rear diff. carrier leaking seals and lots of whine
3. Leaking rear main seal
4. Tires that looked brand new but are 8 years old!
5. Shot upper strut bushings
6. Non functioning ABS wheel sensors (which is why the top won't operate in additon to the leaky cylinder.

Based on all of the above I re-negotiated (yes I know what a job the AC evaporator is!) and bought the car for a price that if I have the indy do all the work (and buy new tires) puts me right back where I negotiated to begin with so I think I did very well. The only danger is that once we replace the ABS sensors on Monday I still have a different ABS issue.

My intent is to have the indy replace the rear main seal, install the ABS sensors and reset everything so the top works;) : then I'll bring the car home and tackle the rest.

It is cold enough now that I'll most likely just have them evacuate the AC and tackle that 20+ hour job over the winter doldrums. The strut bushings are of course simple and I'm evaluating trying new bearings and seals on the existing carrier or just swapping for a low mile replacement from a local dismantler. New tires ASAP of course.

Basically most of the problems are what you'd expect if a car sits (<10k miles over the last 11 years!). Dry leaking seals, leaking AC and dry rotted bushings everywhere. I'll bring it back to life and drive it like I stole it!

Sorry for the overly long post, guess I should of just said hello!:)

·
Administrator
8,714 Posts
Hello and welcome to our friendly forum :thumbsup:

It looks as if you have some work to do on the car ;)

You'll find all of the information here somewhere, it's just a question of finding it. (I always find the the google search option better than the board software)

With your leaking cylinders, contact Klaus at TopHydraulics he is our resident expert on soft top hydraulics.

Hope to see more of you in the future.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No need for Klaus, the PO just had them done, that's why it was at the indy shop to begin with. I bought the car with the rebuilt cylinders installed and everything tested so that's one repair I don't have to make!:) Not sure who he used to rebuild all the cylinders but they are warranted for 5 yrs by someone the indy shop knows and trusts (maybe Klaus?) The shop was able to operate the top and leak check everything after the replacement BUT as soon as you drive the car 10 ft the ABS lights up and of course the RST module locks out.:mad: Hence the next step is the ABS sensors replacement. I took the risk that that's all that's wrong with ther ABS but we'll see!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome :thumbsup: I would put the strut mounts high on the list too, its not a long list though sound a good buy
Couldn't agree more. Actually the strut bushings and new tires are the highest on the list before driving it. I just think of that as regualr maintenance versus all the rest of the list. Plus I have no interest in testing 8 yr old tires. Unlike a lot of the population these days I am old enough to have experienced what it is like to have a tire blow out! About 90 mph at age 16 when the air shocks on my 1969 Chevelle failed dropping the fenders on the rear tires and shredding them both! Not exactly a real tire failure but enough of a preview of what a blowout is like!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sounds like you know what you're doing, so it will be a fun project for you and your son!
(lucky kid, even if it is only a 300!)

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Zachmac hello and welcome in our big friendly and international family :D. Thanks for completing your profile with your car year and location as it helps us incredibly helping you in the best and quickest possible way :D.

Seems you really had a good deal and a good car overall and since you know what you re doing you'll have a lot of "fun" fixing it :).

Please remember to add pics of your car in our pics sticky to show us your new baby :).

As for your future car, well I tested an SL 63 on a track in the UK 2 years ago and wasn't very happy with it since the engine is a bit too tame at lower revs in my opinion so my suggestion is to take whatever you consider with that 6.2L AMG n/a engine :).

Good luck for your car :D.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts