Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl 1991 - audi tt rs
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, im not new to mb but am new to the sl r129, and i love it ;-)

ive ironed out most of her little issues but have a strange one thats boggling me and ive trawled the net for info with no luck.

basically when i put the fuse C inplace, the car makes a clicking sound app every 4 secpnds from around drivers kickwell somewhere.

if i lock the car with remote, it stops doing it, but when unlocked, ignition on or off, keeps doing it.

for time being ive disconnected fuse again. i did notice this fuse runs stereo and door lights, i do have aftermarket stereo.

any advise GREATLY appriciated. thanks

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
Remove the kick panels trace the noise.
Most likely a module, wiring, connector.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the kick panels trace the noise.
Most likely a module, wiring, connector.

Regards,
aam.
Ok will give that a shot, i did read that in some cases it was the old amplifier, could this be the case with 91 model and it should be my drivers side floor? Seems possible as its the stereo fuse that triggers it yet
My stereo works fine. (aftermarket)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only downside to that theory is that the noise stops when you remote lock the car :-/

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,186 Posts
Whatever the theory is, you'll have to remove that panel to find the source of noise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm not looking forward to that, what may be related too is i just noticed the door lights stay on dim whilst driving, but i did read these cars have soft lights, can anyone clarify this? Thanks again

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
It seems you have a bad connection somewhere. Door light do not stay on while driving, unless they are open.

That whole tickling thing is some relay, speaker, or short circuit somewhere not wired correctly. At least it seems to me like it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, thanks for the info, il give it shot tomorrow and see what i can find, im guessing the dim door lights are down to the fact ive pulled the fuse for them, but then cant see where its getting power from. strange one, possibly bad earth somewhere, though i didnt think they suffered from earth issues.

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
I had this exact problem, for me it was caused by a faulty amplifier, the clicking noise comes from both a relay and the amp underneath the rear seat.

The relay will be numbered 0015427819

And the amplifier will carry this number if your car is pre 1996, 1298200489.

You dont need to replace the relay, just the amplifier. You can use either a 1298200489 or a 1298200689 if you have the Becker system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had this exact problem, for me it was caused by a faulty amplifier, the clicking noise comes from both a relay and the amp underneath the rear seat.

The relay will be numbered 0015427819

And the amplifier will carry this number if your car is pre 1996, 1298200489.

You dont need to replace the relay, just the amplifier. You can use either a 1298200489 or a 1298200689 if you have the Becker system.
hi thanks for input, the only thing is i have rear seats, so no under seat areas, or do i? im not using the built in amps, my stereo is aftermarket with its own amps, but im guessing the old one is prob still connected possibly, mines a 1991. should i pull rear seat out and take a look anyway?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,136 Posts
Check your wiring connections in the door. I once had a door body repair done on my previous Chrysler and the 'mechanic' had the speaker wires connected to the light and the light wires to the speaker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check your wiring connections in the door. I once had a door body repair done on my previous Chrysler and the 'mechanic' had the speaker wires connected to the light and the light wires to the speaker.
christ! :mad: i did have a poke in there and all seemed ok

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
There are underseat areas!

There should be two little red tabs on the seat, push down on the tabs and give a firm tug up on the seat and it should literally popout, once its out lift up the carpet and there will be a large soft top computer, a rollbar computer with all sorts of warning stickers on it, and then there should be a black block with one simple harness plugging into it.

Mine said 1914 MB Sound-System on it, and had one bolt holding it down. If you can get the clicking noise, put your hand on the amp case and you will be able to feel it clicking inside.

Even if youve put in a amplifier, chances are the installers looked past this, and the capacitors probably have dried out now and any applied voltage will cause this. If you dont need the factory amp, unplug it and the clicking should stop just like that:D

I hope this is your solution, this drove me near INSANITY when I tore apart the car trying to figure it out.. Once my radio died on me I knew what it was

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are underseat areas!

There should be two little red tabs on the seat, push down on the tabs and give a firm tug up on the seat and it should literally popout, once its out lift up the carpet and there will be a large soft top computer, a rollbar computer with all sorts of warning stickers on it, and then there should be a black block with one simple harness plugging into it.

Mine said 1914 MB Sound-System on it, and had one bolt holding it down. If you can get the clicking noise, put your hand on the amp case and you will be able to feel it clicking inside.

Even if youve put in a amplifier, chances are the installers looked past this, and the capacitors probably have dried out now and any applied voltage will cause this. If you dont need the factory amp, unplug it and the clicking should stop just like that:D

I hope this is your solution, this drove me near INSANITY when I tore apart the car trying to figure it out.. Once my radio died on me I knew what it was
hi there, still no luck, you were right there is a becker box under rear seat, this was plugged in but not making any noise so i unlpugged and plugged back in, on closer inspection it sounds like the noise is coming from transmission tunnel, under arm rest, again stops when you remote lock the car, keeps doing it when unlocked. for now ive just pulled the fuse again, stumped:-/

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
.....on closer inspection it sounds like the noise is coming from transmission tunnel, under arm rest, again stops when you remote lock the car, keeps doing it when unlocked.
It almost sounds like a vacuum problem to me, that is the only thing that runs under the armrest.
Since you said that the sound is coming from under the armrest i suggest that you try this:

Try locking and unlocking the doors from the inside (without the remote) with you sitting in the car and see if the armrest cover or the back panels are locking and unlocking.
Many clicking sound problems with these cars has to do with bad vacuum lines.
I know this is a slightly different angle to your problem but at least it will eliminate some of them.

Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It almost sounds like a vacuum problem to me, that is the only thing that runs under the armrest.
Since you said that the sound is coming from under the armrest i suggest that you try this:

Try locking and unlocking the doors from the inside (without the remote) with you sitting in the car and see if the armrest cover or the back panels are locking and unlocking.
Many clicking sound problems with these cars has to do with bad vacuum lines.
I know this is a slightly different angle to your problem but at least it will eliminate some of them.

Good luck:thumbsup:
yes i thought of that, did the ear test for wooshing, but everything locks and unlocks as it should. thats the strange thing, everything works as its supposed too. the only real clues i have is its the door light/stereo fuse and from middle of floor somewhere. hope i dont have to take the seats and carpet out.....

other stange thing is no one anywhere else has had this issue, not that i can find on the net anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know it is a long shot but have you tried this:
Is your car stereo working with the ignition key out?
I too have an aftermarket stereo and had some problems with it. But not with the lights, that is new to me.
I rewired the ignition plus from the stereo to the cigarette lighter so it only works from the second position on and since then many problems like buzzing sounds and alarms went away.
Don’t ask me how this works because i simply do not know, i was just happy that it did but my first goal was to rewire the stereo so it would shut off when i pull the key out.
But with it many unwanted sounds disappeared.
Hope it helps....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know it is a long shot but have you tried this:
Is your car stereo working with the ignition key out?
I too have an aftermarket stereo and had some problems with it. But not with the lights, that is new to me.
I rewired the ignition plus from the stereo to the cigarette lighter so it only works from the second position on and since then many problems like buzzing sounds and alarms went away.
Don’t ask me how this works because i simply do not know, i was just happy that it did but my first goal was to rewire the stereo so it would shut off when i pull the key out.
But with it many unwanted sounds disappeared.
Hope it helps....
its had a pro install so id assume it has its own new loom, as when i pull the door light/stereo fuse the stereo still works fine.and if i disconnect the becker amp the stereo still works fine. on mine it will come on with position 2, but wont go off unless you remove key. speaking of alarm mine does randomly trigger itself occasionaly, but 99% works ok although the siren is silent, thats something else i havnt got round to yet :confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
It looks like the stereo was not rewired because there is a “timer” as i call it.
It will probably shut off after 20 mins or so to preserve your battery, unless you pull the key before that.

I don’t know if you have a original factory alarm or aftermarket but the factory alarm can be programmed.
It should be explained in your manual, if you do not have the manual it is available in the sticky’s.
I have my alarm set on silent, programmed by the remote.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok yes factory alarm. il take a look, i have manual but its for later sl. thanks for the tips,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts