Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago I took my 1987 560SL for a drive and it seemed absolutely perfect. At the end of the drive I put the car into the garage with 3/4 of the tank full, fully intending to add fuel stabilizer, since I knew I wouldn't drive her again for a couple of months. I even removed the battery, so that it wouldn't run down.

A couple of days ago, I tested the battery (which was fine), reconnected and tried to start her up. Unfortunately she wouldn't start. Assuming it was due to my forgetting to add stabil, I added a full can of SeaFoam and 5 gallons of new gas. Leaving it overnight, I tried again this morning but still no luck. It tries to turn over but just wont.

Turning to the forum, I started looking through some past posts (wont start seems to be a very popular one), looking up information on the EGv107 to research some of the items that were way over my head. I'm just not sure where to start before going down the path of replacing the fuel pump relay and even possibly checking the fuel strainer, which I'm hoping doesn't require the draining and removal of the gas tank...

I saw a few posts from a 300SL owner where someone mentioned pushing on the air sensor plate. Is this something that I can do on my 560? Other posts talked about already doing some initial steps like pouring fuel into the throttle body or checking for spark by removing one of the plugs, reconnecting/grounding and having someone turn the crankshaft. Someone also mentioned doing the Ears test for the fuel pumps but I'm not sure what I'm listening for. On the 560, is it one continuous noise on the rear passenger side for both pumps or two? Is there a particular sound?

Thanks for any help/ideas in advance,
Neen

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,724 Posts
Do not try that on the spark plug in a 560SL. You can fry the ignition unit. Tries to turn over or tries to start? You should hear the pumps run briefly every time the ignition is first turn to on. Listen for a buzz. Try starter fluid or gas down it's throat. Don't pour in any more snake oil.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not try that on the spark plug in a 560SL. You can fry the ignition unit. Tries to turn over or tries to start? You should hear the pumps run briefly every time the ignition is first turn to on. Listen for a buzz. Try starter fluid or gas down it's throat. Don't pour in any more snake oil.
Wow, thanks Rowdie. I'm now really glad I asked.

Sorry, I mean start. I hear everything cranking and turning over.

When you say down its throat, do you mean remove just the top of the air cleaner or do I have to remove the entire air cleaner and pour into the (I think it's called) the air flow meter?

I'll try listening for the buzz next.

No more snake-oil. Promise. (y) :)

Thanks,
Neen

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,724 Posts
You can just remove the cover. Open the air flow plate and pour maybe 1/4 cup. If it starts for a few seconds then you have a fuel problem. If you don;t hear the pumps buzz it is maybe the FP relay. I haven't checked to see if there is a fuse in that circuit. To check for spark get a cheap timing light with inductive pickup from harbor Freight. That is the safest way I know of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts