Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'99 ML430 & '11 ML550
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and a new to me 1999 ML430. So far I'm really digging my truck. This particular ML430 has been meticulously maintained/serviced and only has 37k miles on it. The one thing I don't like about the vehicle is the gold badges. I ordered some chrome replacements that are on the way. I know how to remove the hood badge and the ML430 emblem but I'm not sure about the star on the trunk. Can anyone tell me if it simply can be pried of the trunk lid like the hood badge?

TIA,

Raniel

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
For the trunk star, get a paper towel to protect the paint and get a knife or something similar. Then work your way around the edges of the star and then go to the inside and it should come off. The problem i had installing the badge is for some reason it was not perfectly flush. :(

·
Registered
'99 ML430 & '11 ML550
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SJ,

Thanks for the tip. BTW, you've got a might nice ride. What part of Queens are you in? I actually grew up in Jamiaca, NY. I'm stuck in the midwest now though.

Raniel

·
Registered
90 300E
278 Posts
i was born in queens village right where the entrance to the cross island parkway on jamaica ave...how did you end up in the midwest?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
You're welcome my friend. I was born and raised on Onderdunk Ave. in brooklyn by the L train and a few blocks away from the park and the church that is there. now, since i was 5, i've been living in ridgewood queens a block away from the forest ave train station

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I believe the rear star badge is held on by three clips.

What part of the Midwest?

·
Registered
'99 ML430 & '11 ML550
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My fellow New Yorkers,

I lived on 86th Ave and Queens Blvd until 1977. My Dad moved us down to Ft. Myers, Florida. I got my BS in Accounting from USF in Tampa. I've worked in Ft. Myers, FL, Charlotte, NC and now Dayton, OH. I really liked Charlotte, NC. I do visit NYC now and then since my sister went to NYU and stayed in the City after she graduated.

BTW, I love my ML430.

Raniel

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
thats good to hear Raniel. i hope this site and the members can help you with you and your car. enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
I'd like to see what a '99 with only 37k miles looks like. That's incredibly low mileage. Who had it before you?

·
Registered
'99 ML430 & '11 ML550
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd like to see what a '99 with only 37k miles looks like. That's incredibly low mileage. Who had it before you?
There was an entreprenuer in the area that owned several businesses. He was from the baby boom generation who did time in the service. He had nothing but a HS Degree but plenty of street smarts. His thing was cars. He bought the ML430 among some other highend cars (a Rolls Royce Silver Spur was the most expensive one he owned). He died in 2001 and his 72 year old wife until recently could not bear to part with the ML430 as it was the last car in the collection.

The car was bought from the local MB dealership and was serviced by the same. I have all of the repair records. Additionally, they sent the ML to the shop for the most minor things. I wasn't looking to buy a MB but I saw the ad in the local paper and did some research that made me think I should pull the trigger on it. I paid a couple thousand over retail but the premium was worth it since the car basically looks brand new.

Raniel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts