Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190E 2.0 Auto (1992)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 190E 2.0. It's been working fine, except recently when driving as normal, I felt the pressure go away on the accelerator/gas pedal. It felt as if a spring had gone, or a connection had broken.

The car still drives, but now it surges with even slight foot pressure. I am used to controlling the gear up change by lifting off slightly, and it's usually very smooth - now it is hard and jerky :(

I went to the MB dealer and was shown the parts diagram around the throttle cable end and lever under the air filter. I've replaced the spring which is visible just under the air filter (hook at each end), but no great difference.

The pedal spring under the dash in the cabin footwell looks ok.

The dealer also identified another spring in the engine bay related to the throttle mechanism, but I can't see how it fits in. This spring is 8.5cm long, a hook at one end (near the spring coils) and a loop at the other.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yeah this is a tough one, you can't see it because the connection point is underneath the intake headers.

Take a look at the throttle lever were the other spring is. Follow the lever back and to the left ( left means facing the car) and follow it down you will see a section or hole to hook one side.

Then look underneath the intake headers you'll see a metal arm hovering in the middle of the space there slightly to the back. Its connected somewhere to the side. Anyway at the tip of that arm is a hole and that is where the other end of the spring connects to.

So one end to the back of the lever and the second to the arm.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
PS. I drove my car for almost a year before I figured this out LOL :D I thought that there was only one spring and something else was wrong.

I have a Euro 230E

·
Registered
190E 2.0 Auto (1992)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yal said:
Yeah this is a tough one, you can't see it because the connection point is underneath the intake headers.

Take a look at the throttle lever were the other spring is. Follow the lever back and to the left ( left means facing the car) and follow it down you will see a section or hole to hook one side.

Then look underneath the intake headers you'll see a metal arm hovering in the middle of the space there slightly to the back. Its connected somewhere to the side. Anyway at the tip of that arm is a hole and that is where the other end of the spring connects to.

So one end to the back of the lever and the second to the arm.

Success at last! I've been spending some time trying to see where this other spring fits, but it's very awkward. A couple of days ago I tried again and could see it at last. To fit it from above was pretty tough - you seem to need 9 inch long fingers with 5 joints in them.

I got the car onto a ramp, took of the plastic cover plate under the engine, and it was much simpler to sort things out.

Car is back to normal now. :)

Thanks again for the tip.

·
Registered
190E 2.0 Auto (1992)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maximus121412 said:
My sping is broken as well -do you have the part number please.
Hi,

The part number is either 102 993 23 10 or 102 993 09 10.

(I ordered another spring at the same time - the one you can see clearly under the air filter housing).

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
190auto said:
Success at last! I've been spending some time trying to see where this other spring fits, but it's very awkward. A couple of days ago I tried again and could see it at last. To fit it from above was pretty tough - you seem to need 9 inch long fingers with 5 joints in them.

I got the car onto a ramp, took of the plastic cover plate under the engine, and it was much simpler to sort things out.

Car is back to normal now. :)

Thanks again for the tip.
No problem. Whats really annoying is that very few books talk about or show pictures of that second spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts