Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got a 2005 mercedes ML350 special edition and i already have a few question about it..
The car seems to make a lot of fan noise..I opened the hood and I could hear the noise was because of the fan and belts running..is that normal? Its loud enough that i can hear it while i drive at slow speeds

Second..The car's brake pad lights are on and compared to my other cars the brakes are kind of slower to hit..is it time to change the brake pads already? How much does it usually cost and which are good ones to get? And even if i drive right now with the sign blinking every time i break..is that a problem??

I'm new so I have alot of question and this is my first mercedes so kind of confused about some stuff..Any help is appreciate..:)

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Without hearing it, it may be hard to say for sure but I do hear my fans running.

As for the brake pads, if the light is on, the pads have worn down to the sensor, so it seems reasonable to assume you need new brakes. Being that you just got the truck I'd do it sooner rather than later. You don't know how long they've been like this.

There is a lot of travel in the pedal on all MLs, it's better (in my opinion) for modulating your stops but if you really stomp on it you should be able to stop rather quickly.

I have used OE and a combo of Brembo and Ate rotors and pads. The OEM setup feels less grippy and does produce a lot of dust. There are other good options though.

Take a look at the new members guide in my signature for other good info on your new truck. Also make sure to get an owners manual if you don't have one. You can download them online from MB for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I checked under the hood...it looked to me that the sound was coming of the fan and the belt...so my question is that are those sounds really that loud that I can hear them in the car while its idle and i'm not driving?

And on the brake pads.. I got them checked and the rear ones are like new and the front ones have a good amount of life left according to my friend that checked it (he's a mechanic so i think he know what he was talking about lol).. but my problem now is that when I drive and hit the brakes the 'brake indicator' blinks on and off...what does that mean? I checked the brake fluid and that was fine too..I mean the brakes works but idk why the light turns on then?? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
You must check the Brake Pad wear sensor on the left front and rear wheels. Check for proper connection at the pad and the plug. If everything looks good then disconnect one sensor at a time and test drive. When the blinking stops, you have found the faulty sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok and about the noise?? Is that normal? does the fan make that much noise that I can hear it when the car is sitting idle?

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes Benz ML350 inspiration edition
30 Posts
fans

The fans on my ml make very loud noises too and has done it since i bought it so i assume thats the way it is suppose to be. I also own a mercedes slk and they have a very loud fan noise too... i think it is just a mercedes thing

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
All you gotta do is read everything here. You already bought it, now your stuck with the book that is this forum ;)

I guess maybe there all diff, my ML has been extremely quiet over it's life. Comparing it to my Volvo experience. Although, especially when I do not run it, I have a valve tap on start-up. Sometimes a engine tick. It's all documented in this hood. Good rotors and fresh pads and these trucks have serious stopping power. You can easily put all un-belted passengers through the wind shield if need be :)

(I should add, I never use AC. I even skip the heat in winter, minus defrosting. I've always been weird) That will change compartment noise drastically. Also come to think of it I used to run that C70 so hot haha, it's intercooler would run for 15 minutes after I left the car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha ok. And another question.. Is there a way to get an aux cable in this thing? In my other cars I just stream thru my phone with the use of a Bluetooth device... Is there away to get it in this? The cd player being in the back is a pain. I just feel weird that it's in the back.. All my previous cars they were right there in the dash any solutions for this guys?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts