Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.... I was all ready to buy a Land rover LR3. Then I saw a G500 sitting on a used car lot.

:p I am drooling over a 2002 G500 with 86,000 miles, V-8 gas engine, dealer asking $32,000

I live in the country and really do need a reliable off-road vehicle, especially one that will get me through our winter snows. I use a wheelchair so the G500 appeals to me with the rear door. (I cannot open the standard SUV hatches that all open back and up.)

Before I buy the G500, what should I be aware of? What should I ask my mechanic to check?

Owner's experience? Is the G500 going to run forever and reliably as long as I take good care of it? (I don't own a cell phone, and I really do not want to break down five miles up a logging road: no way I could get back down in my wheelchair..) Am I going to spend $5k a year in maintenance?

Future Conversion? I am giving up a Honda Civic Hybrid that consistently delivers 45 mpg (and gets stuck in snow and mud and cannot go up the hill to our property.) My tree hugging little heart dispairs of the anticipated 13 mpg on the G500 (or is it less that that, even?)

In your crystal ball, will there be an opportunity do convert the engine to something greener in a few years? I'll be saving money over the LR3 so I would be willing to invest $5,000 or so in a clean burning diesel or biodiesel engine or convert to LPG or hydrogen or whatever the "next" thing is in two or three years.

Or - is the G500 going to be an Earth warming polar bear killing 13 mpg social outcast as long as I own it?:crybaby2:

Feedback, comments, suggestions, are all welcome.:thumbsup:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
See this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/1318578-price-check-aisle-g.html

I would continue to look for an '04 or later G500s...it should cost in the same price range as LR3.

Maintenance will be costly because it's a Mercedes, not Chevy. It should run for a long long time.

Conversion is NOT an option unless you plan on spending tons of money! You will be stuck with the current 12 city mpg engine.

Personally, in YOUR case, i would look at a 4runner/Lexus GX470 or Toyota Fj Cruiser (if room is not needed). A used 4runner/GX or FJ should be a good choice too due to their stellar reliability.

BTW, the LR3 is definitely NOT a vehicle for you because it sucks in reliability and durability.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In a word, DON'T!!

If you're wheel chair limited, you won't be able to close the rear door easily; and you'll probably pay hell trying to get up in the driver's seat.

13-14 mpg on Premium gasoline is about what you can expect. The 2002's were often electronic glitch nightmares. Get an ML.

·
Registered
'72 350sl & g500
597 Posts
It will be an Earth warming polar bear killing 13 mpg social outcast. 2002s are known for electrical problems, ask for detailed history of the truck. They (g-class in general) are very reliable, however no car is fool proof, if you live in a rural area you might want to invest in a cell phone.... I think its pretty safe to say any G will be more reliable than a land rover. good luck

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
4x4abc said:
ask that same question on the other forum to get more knowledgeable advice
http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/G_links.html
Harald, are you implying something here??:D I am dying to hear what these "knowledgeable" people are gonna say....

P.S: Is "that" forum low on members again?? Are you in charge of running the advertisement campaign??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts