Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I recently bought myself a 1991 500SL and have been lurking on here for a few weeks reading up on all the hands-on stuff that I'll have to learn to do myself if I want to avoid being bankrupted at a dealership for repairs.

Recently, my car has been manifesting a number of little electrical gremlins; I checked the fuse box in the main engine bay, and found much to my dismay that several fuses were indeed blown, and that (more importantly) it's fuse card was missing. I've already checked the owner's manual scoured both these forums and the net as best I could in search of an image of a pre-1996 (when the fuse box changed) fuse card, to no avail.

Would any kind soul with a digital camera and a 500SL be willing to help me out by posting a legible picture of the fuse card? Any other advice on resolving this issue would be much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
Hey all, I recently bought myself a 1991 500SL and have been lurking on here for a few weeks reading up on all the hands-on stuff that I'll have to learn to do myself if I want to avoid being bankrupted at a dealership for repairs.

Recently, my car has been manifesting a number of little electrical gremlins; I checked the fuse box in the main engine bay, and found much to my dismay that several fuses were indeed blown, and that (more importantly) it's fuse card was missing. I've already checked the owner's manual scoured both these forums and the net as best I could in search of an image of a pre-1996 (when the fuse box changed) fuse card, to no avail.

Would any kind soul with a digital camera and a 500SL be willing to help me out by posting a legible picture of the fuse card? Any other advice on resolving this issue would be much appreciated, thanks!
Try searching in this forum, "fuse box" .. or something like that, you might find what you need?

I believe, if you go to a member's website he has an owners manual you can PDF download........ Brian Clifton . com

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts

thealmightyzee hello and welcome in our big and international friendly family:). Please update your profile with your car, year and location to help us help you in the best and quickest possible way. For us it’s extremely important you do this.

As for your problem, in a few hours fellow members more knowledgeable than me will chime in with a pic or schematics of the fuses.

Hope it helps for now.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thealmightyzee hello and welcome in our big and international friendly family:). Please update your profile with your car, year and location to help us help you in the best and quickest possible way. For us it’s extremely important you do this.

As for your problem, in a few hours fellow members more knowledgeable than me will chime in with a pic or schematics of the fuses.

Hope it helps for now.

Cheers.
Thank you, I've done so.

Unfortunately, the owner's manual doesn't have a fuse schematic in it, and all the fuse-related searches I could think of here and on Google (R129 fuse box, R129 fuse diagram, R129 fuse schematic etc.) turned up a pic of my trunk fuse card, but none of the one in the engine bay for a pre-1996 R129.

·
Registered
500 sl nautical blue 1991 110 000km
117 Posts
Hi!Do you read French?
I can send you the list of all fuses with their number and location ...but unfortunately ...it's in french
Keep me advised if interested

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,111 Posts
Can just run it through a French-English translator.

·
Registered
117 Posts
affectation fusibles boites principale : Main Fuse Box

1 fusible 8 A (blanc) feu de position/ feu ar droite, vibreur avertisseur d'éclairage, éclairage : plaque d'immat, combiné d'instruments, élément de commande (systeme lave glaces)

2 fusible 8 A (blanc) phare antibrouillard et feu arriere anti brouillard

3 fusible 8 A (blanc) feu de position/ feu ar de gauche

4 fusible 16 A (rouge) appareil de commande/détecteur de proximité réglage de siege (réglage colonne de direction et du rétroviseur)

5 fusible 8 A (blanc) feu de stop, combiné d'instruments, lampe pour éclairage intérieur avant. Appareil pour le controle de défaillance de lampes, (tempomat, appareil de controle pour remorque)

6 fusible 8 A (blanc) relais équipements de sécurité, coté gauche, feu de recul, avertisseur à plusieurs tons, commande de capote, (diagnostique, indicateur de température exyérieure)

7 fusible 8 A (blanc) boitier électronique chauffage/climatisation, vannes d'eau de chauffage, pompe à eau, (relais ventilateur supplémentaire borne 86)

8 fusible 8 A (blanc) relais équipement de sécurité, coté droit , rétroviseurs extérieurs, chauffage de lave-glace, boitier électronique arceau de sécurité, (télécommande à infra rouge)

9 fusible 8 A (blanc) diagnostique borne 6 signal de détresse, clignotant, montre electronique, lampe pour éclairage intérieur avant, lampes pour éclairage du plancher (radio électronique, éclairage miroir pare-soleil, calculateur d'itinéraire)

10 fusible 8 A (blanc) exploitation de la chaleur résiduelle du moteur

11 fusible 16 A (rouge) essuie-glace/lave-glace, relais temporisé, avertisseur lumineux (relais lave-phares bornes 66)

12 fusible 8 A (blanc) allume cigare, éclairage de boite à gants, relais circuit version confort borne 86, éclairage de vide -poche

13 fusible 8 A (blanc) éclairage code gauche

14 fusible 8 A (blanc) éclairage code droit

15 fusible 8 A (blanc) éclairage route gauche

16 fusible 8 A (blanc) éclairage route droit, témoin feu de route

A fusible 8 A (blanc) radio électronique (calculateur d'itinéraire)

B fusible 8 A (blanc) Embrayage magnetique pompe à air, (embrayage magnetique compresseur frigogene, électrovanne AG-kickdown)

C fusible 8 A (blanc) (éclairage sorties, systeme accoustique, lecteur de disques compacts)

D fusible 16 A (rouge) (chauffage de siege gauche et droit)

E fusible 25 A (bleu) réglage de siege du conducteur/du passager

F fusible 25 A (bleu) réglage du siege du conducteur/du passager

G fusible 8 A (blanc) (chauffage additionnel)

H fusible 16 A (rouge) (chauffage additionnel)

boite a fusible complémentaire compartiment moteur :Under Windscreen

1 fusible 30 A moteur de soufflante

2 fusible 30 A ventilateur additionnel (deux)

3 fusible 30 A lunette arriere chauffante

Boite a fusible dans le coffre a bagages : In the trunk

1 fusible 16 A (rouge) leve-glace gauche

2 fusible 16 A (rouge) leve-glace droit

3 fusible 16 A (rouge) appareil de commande et electrovannes pour la commande de capote

4 fusible 8 A (blanc) appareil de commande et aimant pour l'arceau de sécurité, bloccage electrique de ceinture

5 fusible 16 A (rouge) alarme anti vol, téléphone

6 fusible 8 A (blanc) éclairage coffre à bagages, appareil de commande verrouillage centralisé, antenne automatique, appareil de commande pour la commande à disytance à infra-rouge)

7 fusible 30 A pompe hydraulique pour la commande de capote

·
Registered
1991 500SL V8 NEOKEN modified T/B. 2000 F350 4x4 V10. 1995 SL500
201 Posts
Fuse#1, 8amp parking/tail light right,warning buzzer, Illumination: License plate,instrument cluster,Control elements,headlamp cleaning system.

Fuse#2 8amp fog lights

Fuse#3 8amp parking/tail light left.

Fuse#4 16amp proximity switch/control unit seat adjustment (mirror and jacket tube adjustment)

Fuse#5 8amp stop lamp,instrument cluster,front roof light,bulb control unit,cruise control,seatbelt warning.

Fuse#6 8amp relay left safety package,backup lamp,horn,power soft top control unit(fanfare horns,outside temperture gauge)

Fuse#7 8amp climate control system,heating water valves,water pump,relay auxiliary fan term.86

Fuse#8 8amp relay right safety package,outside mirrors,heater washer system,roll bar sensor(infrared remote control)

Fuse#9 8amp diagnostic term.6,hazard warning system,turn signal lamp,electric clock,front roof light,legroom lights (electronic radio,mirror light-sun visor)

Fuse#10 8amp residual engine heat storage system.

Fuse#11 16amp wipe/wash system,combonation relay,headlamp flasher,relay headlamp cleaning system term.86

Fuse#12 8amp cigar lighter ,glove compartment light,relay comort circurity term.86,storage compartment lamp

Fuse#13 8amp lowbeam left

Fuse#14 8amp low beam right

Fuse#15 high beam left

Fuse#16 high beam right,high beam indicator

A 8amp radio/electronic radio
B 8amp electromagnetic air pump clutch,electromagnetic A/C compressor clutch,kickdown solenoid valve/aut. transmission
C 8amp (door lights,sound system,CD palyer
D 16amp (seat heating)
E 25amp front seat adjustment
F 25amp front seat adjustment
G 8amp (auxiliary heater)
H 8amp (auxiliary heater)

You also have your window fuses in the truck on passnger side
noelbailli If you flip your card over its in english

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have tried ....unfortunately no!!!
One side french ..other side ...german .
I don't think it would have been better to post german card rather than french
Abore you have full purposes and explaination about fuses even colour ,but anyway ...there no definite colour codes accordind to the acceptable amps
Maybe it could be helpful if you translate also the two others locations in the car ..Everybody on this forum could have complete sight on his fuses
Thank you for the time you spent on that

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
I could take a picture, but I'm not sure if my '93 has the same configuration.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi !
I asked a friend of mine if his card is written in english .....

Here is the result ...
If you need a better pic resolution I can send to you.
this scan in direct email if you give me you email adress (PM)

Still need translation for the 2 other locations in the car
;);)

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, hot damn; this is exactly what I needed. A thousand thanks to you fine folks over here at Benzworld. I really appreciate all of the information; these foul Gremlins are not long for this world.

:bowdown:

·
Registered
1991 500SL V8 NEOKEN modified T/B. 2000 F350 4x4 V10. 1995 SL500
201 Posts
Truck fuses are:
#1 16amp window lift left
#2 16amp window lift right
#3 16amp power solf top control unit and solenoid valves
#4 8amp roll bar control unit and solenoid, electric seatbelt locking
#5 16amp ?
#6 30amp trunk light, central locking system control unit,(aut.antenna, infrared remote control unit
#7 30amp hydraulic unit power soft top

There are three strip fuses just about in the middle of engine bay at the rear under a plastic cover

1 - 13 of 13 Posts