Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm tired of lurking and I decided to introduce myself.

My name is David and I turned 16 a couple months ago. Ever since I was young I've been infatuated with the W140. I grew up in a big city with tons of W140's during the time when the W140 was new and the King of the Road and absolutely fell in love with the car, and the W140 looked so nice in Gone in 60 Seconds that seems to be the part I remember most about that movie. The W140 that got torched and the other that got it's suspension ripped off. I still love the W140 and think it's still King of the Road and hope to get one as my first car, in my opinion the W220 and W221 just aren't as nice looking as the W140. I've read posts where you guys say that people still think this car is new. Truly a tribute to the engineering and style that went into this car.

I hope to get a S500 Coupe or a S420 Sedan Black on Tan maybe in a year or two. I'm expecting 2-3 grand in repairs a year because that is what I've read on here. Is that reasonable? I've always wondered what breaks down on these cars that makes the repairs so much?

I noticed a really nice W140 Coupe selling at a used car dealership really close to me. What do you think? 60K miles and currently 9K (reserve not met) on eBay. It looks pretty well taken care of and the back seats look like they've never been used. The bumpers do look like they have a huge panel gap between them and I don't really like the rims. Will having less mileage necessarily make the car more reliable? And if I do eventually buy a W140, should I buy it locally so I can have a mechanic check it?

Photo Gallery

Again I'd like to say hi, and I hope you guys welcome me even though I don't have a W140 yet. I've seen pictures of the some of the member's W140's on here and without trying to sound like a suck up, I have to say they look nice and very well taken care of. I've always wondered is it easy parallel parking these giant machines?

·
Registered
1992 V12
107 Posts
Well let me be the first to welcome you. That is a nice S500 in thoes photos. Who ever gets that 1 will have a nice ride.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,694 Posts
David,

Welcome aboard, These cars will make a great first car, but how I would skirt the high maintenance prices. Is I do the maintenance my self. I do not know what state you live, but I would get a 96 and above-for reliability. Look on craigslist.org and look in other cities. People may start dumping these cars because of high fuel costs-here in the West Coast I'm seeing this. By Memorial Day the gas prices may be high, and you may find one of these w140s selling for about 4k.
Martin

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Hey guys, I'm tired of lurking and I decided to introduce myself.

My name is David and I turned 16 a couple months ago. Ever since I was young I've been infatuated with the W140. I grew up in a big city with tons of W140's during the time when the W140 was new and the King of the Road and absolutely fell in love with the car, and the W140 looked so nice in Gone in 60 Seconds that seems to be the part I remember most about that movie. The W140 that got torched and the other that got it's suspension ripped off. I still love the W140 and think it's still King of the Road and hope to get one as my first car, in my opinion the W220 and W221 just aren't as nice looking as the W140. I've read posts where you guys say that people still think this car is new. Truly a tribute to the engineering and style that went into this car.

I hope to get a S500 Coupe or a S420 Sedan Black on Tan maybe in a year or two. I'm expecting 2-3 grand in repairs a year because that is what I've read on here. Is that reasonable? I've always wondered what breaks down on these cars that makes the repairs so much?

I noticed a really nice W140 Coupe selling at a used car dealership really close to me. What do you think? 60K miles and currently 9K (reserve not met) on eBay. It looks pretty well taken care of and the back seats look like they've never been used. The bumpers do look like they have a huge panel gap between them and I don't really like the rims. Will having less mileage necessarily make the car more reliable? And if I do eventually buy a W140, should I buy it locally so I can have a mechanic check it?

Photo Gallery

Again I'd like to say hi, and I hope you guys welcome me even though I don't have a W140 yet. I've seen pictures of the some of the member's W140's on here and without trying to sound like a suck up, I have to say they look nice and very well taken care of. I've always wondered is it easy parallel parking these giant machines?
Welcome. And good luck car hunting.

What breaks? Keep reading the forum. Hard to say what is reasonable to expect for maintenance and repair costs. Plan for a lot and hope it's a little.

For the car pictured, I don't like bling wheels on a car when I don't know the owner or the car. $1000 spent on wheels probably means $1000 less spent on needed maintenance and repairs. Have you checked the cost of 20 inch tires lately?

The savvy car buyer always has a car inspected by a professional who knows that model of car well before buying. It can cost $200-400 but it may save you from much more in repairs, or the report can give you negotiating leverage with the seller. Low miles doesn't always mean more reliable. At the age these cars are reaching, age related wear is a factor in addition to wear from mileage.

Brett

·
Registered
676 Posts
don't do it... i remember my first car was a 1998 honda civic hatch stick 36 mpg with an intake and exhaust with no power steering making 100 horses... when i was 15... and then i got a 300E which gives me 18 mpg all around and now when i have a little more money i acquired the S500 2004... and i am also in love with the W140 body style and i will be the first one to tell you that these cars get expensive fast... i fill up my S500 every 6-7 days and the 300E every 3-4 weeks and i sold the civic... even though these cars look and sound boss, with gas prices and parts costs these days i easily put in 400+ dollars worth of gas a month! thats ridiculous!... it all depends on what you have in your pocket and can you afford to maintain these machines... if so, then go for it! and if you can't... walk away and get a corolla! its a tough passion but its worth putting money into these things over a girlfriend ;).... hope this helps and welcome! these are great guys with great advice. I hope they help you as much as they have helped me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
don't do it... i remember my first car was a 1998 honda civic hatch stick 36 mpg with an intake and exhaust with no power steering making 100 horses... when i was 15... and then i got a 300E which gives me 18 mpg all around and now when i have a little more money i acquired the S500 2004... and i am also in love with the W140 body style and i will be the first one to tell you that these cars get expensive fast... i fill up my S500 every 6-7 days and the 300E every 3-4 weeks and i sold the civic... even though these cars look and sound boss, with gas prices and parts costs these days i easily put in 400+ dollars worth of gas a month! thats ridiculous!... it all depends on what you have in your pocket and can you afford to maintain these machines... if so, then go for it! and if you can't... walk away and get a corolla! its a tough passion but its worth putting money into these things over a girlfriend ;).... hope this helps and welcome! these are great guys with great advice. I hope they help you as much as they have helped me.
I don't think gas will be too much of a problem with me. I'm not the most outgoing person, and I think I'll probably do only 40 miles of driving a week, because the main stores and my school are pretty close to me.

A thing I like about the W140 is the safety. From a couple pictures and stories I've heard here, this car is like a tank. I really do worry about driving around in a puny car like a Corolla. And LOL :D I have no trouble with girls, and certainly don't need a Mercedes to help.

Thanks for your advice, Omar.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome. And good luck car hunting.

What breaks? Keep reading the forum. Hard to say what is reasonable to expect for maintenance and repair costs. Plan for a lot and hope it's a little.

For the car pictured, I don't like bling wheels on a car when I don't know the owner or the car. $1000 spent on wheels probably means $1000 less spent on needed maintenance and repairs. Have you checked the cost of 20 inch tires lately?

The savvy car buyer always has a car inspected by a professional who knows that model of car well before buying. It can cost $200-400 but it may save you from much more in repairs, or the report can give you negotiating leverage with the seller. Low miles doesn't always mean more reliable. At the age these cars are reaching, age related wear is a factor in addition to wear from mileage.

Brett
Thank you Brett for your advice! I'll keep it in mind when or if I go W140 shopping!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
David,

Welcome aboard, These cars will make a great first car, but how I would skirt the high maintenance prices. Is I do the maintenance my self. I do not know what state you live, but I would get a 96 and above-for reliability. Look on craigslist.org and look in other cities. People may start dumping these cars because of high fuel costs-here in the West Coast I'm seeing this. By Memorial Day the gas prices may be high, and you may find one of these w140s selling for about 4k.
Martin
Thanks. I'm thinking about doing the repairs myself or with the help of my friends. One has a W126 that he maintains himself and I have another friend that works on engines, who has access to parts. So I guess I can use my connections.

I live on the East Coast. I would like to buy the car locally so I can have it checked out by a trusted technician.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts