Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK280 (soon!)
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm seriously contemplating purchasing a new SLK280, to replace my Lexus IS300. I've got a few questions, if anyone can help

1. What's the Mercedes ownership experience like?
2. Is Parktronic really worth the 590 quid option price?
3. What's Airscarf like? Worth having?
4. Is there any option to use a bluetooth phone with the inbuilt car kit? (like the BMW option). If not, is the Mercedes phone option worth the huge cost, and switching phone handsets to an older model phone?
5. How about the remote roof option? worthwhile? (I've never had a convertible before)
6. is the rain sensor any good?
7. Is the factory collection trip worthwhile?
8. My last two "Lexuses" have had their excellent sat-nav system. What's COMAND like? Is it better than the BMW system?
9. Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks for any, and all, assistance...

Best
Alistair

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
alistairg,

It is in your best interest to include your location in your profile because some of your questions depend on where you live. Since you used the term quid, I assume you are in G.B.

1. So far, the Mercedes experience has been very nice for me.
2. Parktronic isn't available in the U.S. so I don't have any comment except that if it had been available I probably would have ordered it.
3. Air scarf is fantastic. It allows you to drive comfortably in cool weather with the top down.
4. I'm not Blue Tooth savy.
5. The remote roof option is a nice gimick for showing off the roof to friends but beyond that it's so so.
6. I really like the rain sensor. For me it's a must.
7. Members that have reported on the factory pick up seem to really like it.
8. I don't have Comand so no comment.
9. The SLK 350 is a fantastic car. I assume the 280 will be also.

·
Registered
SLK350
34 Posts
1. This is my thirteenth consecutive Mercedes and my second SLK. Overall the ownership experience, for me, has been good although some of the press comments you will have read about dealers and service are true.

2. I've got Parktronic (a first for me) on the basis that it'll pay for itself in paint jobs. The sensors are not too obvious. So far, so good.

3. The Airscarf, IMHO, is not just a gimmick and does afford more opportunities for the roof down. I use it frequently and I would have ordered it without the heated seats but, unfortunately, that wasn't possible.

4. No idea about blue tooth but other contributors will certainly know.

5. As has been widely reported on this forum the remote roof operation is, for many, ineffective with a very short range. I hardly ever use mine.

6. The rain sensor works well.

7.Didn't collect mine from Bremen although I will next time around. Most reports are favourable.

8. COMAND, for me at least, works well although a software update is probably due.

9. The 350 is a great car, if a little overpriced. I guess that the 280 will also be a fine car.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
here's my take...

1. Ownership experience is great - dealer experience in the UK seems to vary widely! MB UK dealers could learn a thing or too from Lexus dealers.

2. try the parktronic - i'm not convinced its that much use - quite annoying in the demo car i tried

3. Yes, get airscarf - its part of the cars Uniqueness

4. No bluetooth i'm afraid - if you do alot of miles and need to talk whilst on the move, get a phone kit - if not, get phone pre-wiring in case you later change your mind (you then only need to buy the appropriate cradle)

5. remote roof option is rubbish

6. rain sensor is great

7. Factory collection is brilliant

8. Comand is great, but cannot compare it to anything else as i have no experience with other systems

·
Registered
R171
215 Posts
Hello

1. What's the Mercedes ownership experience like?
......After several very impressive Hondas, my experience of 100K plus SLK motoring, I am delighted with both the old and current models. Dealers arn't as good as say, Hondas, but servicing and parts are a lot cheaper and less service less frequent with MB. The cars are very robust and durable over high mileages, and people admire MB cars. They are a lot more friendly to MB cars and let you out at road junctions [sometimg that doesn't seem to happen when I drive a friend's BMW quite frequently. No regrets for moving from Honda even though they have fabulously lively and reliable cars though trim isnt as durable as MB.
2. Is Parktronic really worth the 590 quid option price? ........I rejected it because the car is quite compact, and from a personal point of view, I find those sensors look like 'painted-over corn plasters' [sorry to colleagues who chose them] and spoil the clean details of the car in my opinion.
3. What's Airscarf like? Worth having? ....definitely. It makes winter motoring a joy and certainly not a gimmick. wait and see who copies it soon?
4. Is there any option to use a bluetooth phone with the inbuilt car kit? (like the BMW option). If not, is the Mercedes phone option worth the huge cost, and switching phone handsets to an older model phone? ....I opted for the pre-wiring and then all I had to do was buy a cradle from the dealers, buy a phone that was compatable [certain Siemens and Nokias are suitable] and simple plug it in. It was very easy and required no setting up at all
5. How about the remote roof option? worthwhile? (I've never had a convertible before).....not worth it cos the range is so poor but that said it doesnt cost a lot if you want to show to friends.
6. is the rain sensor any good? ....I believe so, but did not choose it myself. Along with my parktronic sensor obsession I hate to hear dry wipers groaning over a damp screen!
7. Is the factory collection trip worthwhile? ....absolutely. Have a look at my posting from last July/August
8. My last two "Lexuses" have had their excellent sat-nav system. What's COMAND like? Is it better than the BMW system? Did not choose it so cannot comment
9. Any other words of wisdom?

Do you homework! Have a good look through older postings here. Lots of colleagues are posting tales of regret and are trying to change and retrofit lots of options. That said, I am delighted with my second SLK and find it a better designed car, even if the styling is 'busier' than the old one

Thanks for any, and all, assistance...

Best
Alistair[/QUOTE by Owen]

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
I have parktronic on my ML, but it is a big vehicle with bigger blind spots, and comes in very handy every time I park. Can't see that it would be as useful on such a small and low to the ground car as the SLK.

In UK I would think the airscarf would be a must.

Rain sensor is good, but sometimes overly sensitive to even a bit of moisture.

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Not sure when the 280 will be available int he UK has the dealer given you a date?

My opinions for you:

1. Can only answer this when the car turns up in a couple of weeks.

2. I went for this as the excess is quite high on the car and will almost pay for itself if it prevents a claim.

3. Test drove a car in mid February - the airscarf really made a difference, it is also what makes the car unique ( for now anyway ). Bear in mind you will need to also buy the leather and heated seats to get airscarf in the UK.

4. Thought this was too expensive - I rarely us a phone anyway so used the money to get the HK system instead.

5. Did not get this. Great for showing your mates, but when I asked about this a few weeks ago - some of the replies thought it not woth while. See here:
http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1204897&posts=17&fid=27

6. Ordered it - will wait to see.

7. Can not comment.

8. Ordered this as I could write lots of MP3s to DVD to play - if you do this you do not need the CD changer. Also the ipod will connect to COMAND.

9. Test drive as many as you can - try the sports suspension as you may find it too hard.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
The 280 should give you far more power than the 200, good performance, and better insurance and mpg than the 350 so looks like a good choice when it comes out. I am getting 20-24 mpg on my 350.

1. My dealer was pants, the car itself is great and I am enjoying it more as time goes by. Top down, foot down, absolute joy. The cameras cant spoil such fun, but are a bit of a dampener. I think I am going to get banned because I am enjoying pushing it...and passed the boys in blue doing 90 in a 50 zone yesterday, they didnt follow, but a letter in the post might. Car is solid so far, highly recommend sports suspension.
2. Thought about it, decided not. I think most of the damage to bumpers will come from others, my parking is generally pretty good.
3. Definitely. I actually thought it would be stronger than it is, and at 70mph plus I can hardly feel it. Still, at 5c - 10c, in my experience up to 70 or 80mph roof down I am snug as a bug in a rug, and turning the heating down. Thats with heated seats air scarf and standard aircon.
4. Dunno
5. I like it. arrive get out of the car, close the roof. Without it, arrive sit in the car dropping the roof for 22 secs. It's £90.
6. Wish I had gone for this, when it rains and I am adjusting from fast to slow to fast to off...I remember I left this £90 option out. Stupid.
7. See my posting as well as others. No extra cost, no damage to your car on pickup, car nearly run in when you get back, and you get to see where its from. I have remembered that a few times and feel closer to the car as a result. I know where it comes from, and that isnt my dealer. I saw it being born (sorry for being so lyrical but you get the idea)
8. COMAND is absolutely excellent. Not perfect, it makes some directions in my area that are wrong, some that are not the easiest, and doesnt know some roads exist. On the other hand I can forget about maps, I can see restaurants, petrol stations, hotels, tourist sights on the map on my trip. The map is like they have in airplanes, and also says how far we have to go. I am going to the Loire soon, before I leave I can look up restaurants near my destination, tourist sights etc etc. Loads to play with, Mp3's on DVD mean the CD changer is pointless because you can write one DVD disk that contains 800 songs (I have only written CDs with 130 tracks on each, but DVDs are possible) and if you get somewhere early watch a DVD, time flies. Same applies to a traffic jam, it makes them a completely different experience. I find I wish the traffic would stop so I can watch the DVD.
9. Consider the alternatives, there are similar cars to choose from, many are a lot cheaper. I like the open air which narrows it down to the Z4, Boxster, 350Z, TT, Elise. Its a nice dilemma to have, I would check each one out with a test drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts