Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 108d vito and it does not select its gear very well without grinding!!!
The clutch is really early and does not slip at all..
Any suggestions how i can cure this problem??:confused:
Many thanks to all in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have the same car with same problem , changed the slave cylinder today , got a little better but still no good ,are considering changing clutch pump or the clutch itself , im gonna try breathing it again tomorrow ,...

·
Registered
108D Traveliner
55 Posts
Hi I have the same year and model vito. I also am having touble with 2nd and 4th gear selection. I have to forcefully hold the gear lever down into these gears, once in they hold there, but it feels as if they barely enter in. i've tried adjusting the shift cables but to no avail. tonight I found a thread here which looks as if it has the answer I'm looking for
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/v-class/1331173-gearbox-magic.html
I have just ordered one of these parts and fingers crossed it'll do the job.
This is what I ordered MERCEDES VITO GEAR SELECTION PROBLEMS??? on eBay, also, Mercedes-Benz, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 10-Nov-08 06:56:50 GMT)
Hope this will be of help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I have the same year and model vito. I also am having touble with 2nd and 4th gear selection. I have to forcefully hold the gear lever down into these gears, once in they hold there, but it feels as if they barely enter in. i've tried adjusting the shift cables but to no avail. tonight I found a thread here which looks as if it has the answer I'm looking for
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/v-class/1331173-gearbox-magic.html
I have just ordered one of these parts and fingers crossed it'll do the job.
This is what I ordered MERCEDES VITO GEAR SELECTION PROBLEMS??? on eBay, also, Mercedes-Benz, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 10-Nov-08 06:56:50 GMT)
Hope this will be of help.

Hi

had also the same problem didnt seem to go far enough into gear , and jumped out several times .

BUT NOW after adjusting cables and changed my crappy gear oil (manual) and the oil looked as you had diarea, my gears are very good ,it still crunch a little bit in 3rd when changing at high rev and rush myself but if take it easy its smooth.

My fixes are : Changed slave cylinder
Adjusted both cables
Changed gear oil (bought at the dealer MB mtl oil)

the last 2 helped the most.

Hope you sucseed with yours

·
Registered
Mercedes Vito 639 Dualiner
35 Posts
gear selection problems

hello Vanish,

The part that you ordered from ebay does work in most cases I would say 99% the problem is with a plastic part on the select tower as it is plastic it wears on one side making gear selection difficult to select on your down gears (reverse, second and fourth) when you remove the selector tower check that the rivets are secure and not loose and lubricate the joints with grease.

you should complete the job in around 20 to 30 minutes and all being well your gear selection should be alot more positive, regards.

·
Registered
Mercedes Vito 639 Dualiner
35 Posts
hello Vanish,

The part that you ordered from ebay does work in most cases I would say 99% the problem is with a plastic part on the select tower as it is plastic it wears on one side making gear selection difficult to select on your down gears (reverse, second and fourth) when you remove the selector tower check that the rivets are secure and not loose and lubricate the joints with grease.

you should complete the job in around 20 to 30 minutes and all being well your gear selection should be alot more positive, regards.
Forgot to mention this is a genuine MB part

·
Registered
108D Traveliner
55 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Still awaiting the delivery of my part and Ill post up the results.
hipringle, I'm supprised to say the least I never thought I'd hear anyone say that MB was cheaper than Ebay, must be some kinda confidence trap to lure people in. Arkwright used to employ such tactics in open all hour you know!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So could some of these methods help my vito from grinding into gear or is my problem more clutch??
Its worse when you change back down the box in all gears,it just crunches into the gear!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Still awaiting the delivery of my part and Ill post up the results.
hipringle, I'm supprised to say the least I never thought I'd hear anyone say that MB was cheaper than Ebay, must be some kinda confidence trap to lure people in. Arkwright used to employ such tactics in open all hour you know!
Lol, I was surprised too, came to a grand total of 71p inc vat. Must be the cheapest part mb do lol!

·
Registered
108D Traveliner
55 Posts
Just fitted the part mentioned above. It helps with 2nd and reverse although not 100% 4th can still be a little tricky but it has improved. An oil change is next on the agenda.

BLUESURF....... Correct me if I'm wrong but if you had a problem wth the clutch then you wouldn't have a problem selecting the gears themselves. If you had a clutch problem you would have more of a problem with drive i.e moving off from a stand still, as the clutch is the interface between the gearbox and drive at the wheels. looks like you have a similar problem to me or you may even have a synchro-mesh problem.

·
Registered
108D Traveliner
55 Posts
Just ordered an new gear selector cable (one with yellow end) This is after gear selection went almost impossible, 4th, 2nd and reverse unable to get in gear at all. the rest of the gears were very difficult too. popped both ends of the cables off and the one mentioned above was pretty much siezed solid. Replacement is £66 + VAT. Hopefully this will cure the problem once and for all. Still going to change the gear oil though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just recieved the tiny square thingy thing from ebay that wears on the linkage..
Piece of piss to fit!!
And changed the gearbox oil..EP90
The oil was mingin!!and imulsified..
Fingers crossed it will select alot better tomorrow..
Had too many beers tonight to test drive after all that................

·
Registered
108D Traveliner
55 Posts
just fitted the new selector cable part no 000 268 01 91. Wow what a difference. Also changed gear oil, feels like a new gear box now.
If anyone else has any problems with gear selection, I'd advise popping both ends of the cables off and seeing how free the inner cable is inside the outer cable. My old one was really stiff, stuck at a mid-way point and only had about 1 inch travel. The new one moves freely for about 4 inches.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts