Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 190e 2.3 from my dad as a first car it kinda fuel pump died on move from Illinois to Texas. not very mechanical as i was at a boarding school for most education years, but i want to fix it up as i love the car.. so after 3 years of storage i got my own place and towed it to my garage... with the help of the factory engine and chassis/body manuals dad gave me with car i replaced fuel pump, checked injectors, new plugs, and new gas...

car starts up, but when i put it into reverse and hold break it shudders until i start moving. when i stop in reverse no shudder, but when i shift to drive it shudders until i start moving again... since i don't know what to do my manuals are pretty useless at this point in time, but when i finally got the car to start i figured out why dad likes to tinker with cars, it makes you feel go to accomplish something like that... any way anyone got any suggestions, ideas what i need to do because i need some help dad has no idea, says Merc's are to complicated for him :confused:, and i stuck and cant find any answers searching the web or threads.. any help is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
1) What year & current mileage?

2) When was the last time the trans filter and fluid was replaced?

3) Has anyone checked the transmission vacuum valve/modulator?

4) What's the condition of the "flex discs" at either end of the driveshaft?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MTI,
Going to sound like an idiot with this reply, but am pretty new to this
1.)1985 / 110982(best guess as it broke on the drive to texas and is on list to fix)
2.)have no idea, which means i need to do this i will search for instructions (
3.)no, where is it located and what am i looking for, please
4.)i know what they are and where they are but what am i looking for on them

thanks for the reply MTI

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
1.)1985 / 110982(best guess as it broke on the drive to texas and is on list to fix)
Always good to know the year and miles on the car. A lot of problems are "chronological" in nature.

2.)have no idea, which means i need to do this i will search for instructions (
The MB service manual for the transmission is a separate item, as is the climate control and electrical troubleshooting guide. For your year car, the UK Haynes manual would be handy to have.

If you don't know when or where it was changed, draining the trans and torque converter and replacing the trans filter is a good idea. Instead of just undoing the drain bolt on the pan, carefully remove the transmission pan and check for metallic shavings or chunks in the fluid. Those could be signs of some "steel" transmission pieces that have worn.

Take care when handling and reinstalling the pan . . . it's one of the easiest pieces to bend, warp or over tighten . . . resulting in fluid leakage until you get a new pan.

3.)no, where is it located and what am i looking for, please
The vac modulator is on the driver's side of the transmission. It's the device that tells the trans when to shift and relies on engine vacuum to make that determination. Leakage or just plain wear can cause erratic shifts, bad idle and the like.

4.)i know what they are and where they are but what am i looking for on them
You want to inspect them for wear, fraying and play. While your under there, check for play at the middle joint and bearing of the driveshaft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new problem:

today when i start the car up (checking for white exuast smoke).. it idles at about 700rpm but when i give gas it drops to 500 and if i dont stop it dies out... when i do stop it shoots back up to around 1300rpms then drops to 700rpm.. any idea? new problem or symptom of current?

thanks MTI i will get myself one of the Haynes manuals...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts