Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, can someone help please. I have a 2006 C230 with a COMAND system installed. I currently have the 4.1 software version installed which is for 2005/2006 I think (part no: A169 827 2059) however I wanted to update to the 2007/2008 software (version 9.1 A169 827 5659). I went to a COMAND retailer and bought the package which was sealed and proper and loaded the DVD into the DVD player. It asked if I wanted to update the software and I said yes. It the put a screen saying Updating and an hour-glass spinning and then said Update Error 2 and failed. I then got stuck because I couldn't turn the COMAND system off even when I removed the key from the car. Eventually I had to reinstall the old version and it then turned off.

So can someone tell me how I can upgrade my software please?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
What is the point of upgrading the software? Are you going to a new nav DVD which won't read with the old software? Is your car still under warranty? I bought a new (2008) nav map for my '04 S430. The software couldn't read the new map. I took it to the dealer (my car is still under warranty) and he wanted to charge me $114. to install the new software. I raised a stink and said if the car was still under warranty, MB should upgrade the software as a warranty issue since they WANT you to buy new maps. I was getting nowhere until the service manager came by and told the service writer to write a repair order simply saying "Owner says map will not read." The original service ticket said "Owner wants COMAND software upgraded." With the new service ticket, it was upgraded under warranty and my new map reads perfectly well. If your car is under warranty, that's what I would do. BTW, I bought the map from Navtec, the company that produces the maps for MB. It came in a MB case and had a MB part number, but it cost less than $200 instead of the $380 or so the dealer quoted. I don't know if they paid attention to the fact that I had not bought the map from them, since it was an OE part, but that's irrelevant to the story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My issue with the software is that the maps on the current version are out of date so I need to upgrade. I may take it to a dealer and see what happens. My cars a 2006 C class so should still be under warranty. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
If it's just the maps out of date, a new DVD is all you need. The maps aren't part of the software and they aren't loaded in the nav; they are on the DVD that the nav reads. My problem was the 2004 map I replaced was an analog DVD, so the nav couldn't read the 2008 digital map. I had to upgrade my nav reader for the new map. If your car has a digital map already in it, you should just plug and play the more recent map without any software changes.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
If it's just the maps out of date, a new DVD is all you need. The maps aren't part of the software and they aren't loaded in the nav; they are on the DVD that the nav reads. My problem was the 2004 map I replaced was an analog DVD, so the nav couldn't read the 2008 digital map. I had to upgrade my nav reader for the new map. If your car has a digital map already in it, you should just plug and play the more recent map without any software changes.
I've never heard about "analog navigation DVDs". But on several car models you need an SW update to the navigation unit if you have skipped a few MAP updates in a row (the sort of assume you buy almost every update, the navigation SW update has been included on one of the previous MAP disks but has been dropped from the more recent one that does not load any more).

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Diesel. I'm recollecting what I thought I heard the guy from NavTec tell me about why the DVD they sent wouldn't read. At any rate, the dealer knew what the problem was and fixed it under warranty. It sounds like aabedi has skipped a year so that may be his problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts