Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to you all.

I live in the UK and have been looking at buying a SLK. After searching the net I found this site and see that there are a number of members here within the UK.

I currently drive a Subaru Impreza WR1 ( Limited Edition )it is my fourth subaru in the last 6 years. The WR1 is a fantastic car, quick and handles really well. However I am now looking at have a better cabin to be in with performance.

I have test driven the M3 CSL, but feel this is too track focused, a standard M3, and a 350 SLK. I was looking at the 55 AMG, my local dealer in Wolverhampton has advised if I order December will be the delivery date.

Have have looked at serveral posts re after care from dealers and issues with members cars. It is a large investment for me and I do not want to spend circa 50k plus pounds and then be unhappy.

The main issues is that other than pictures I am unable to see the AMG and therefore test drive one. Can anyone give me some ideas of actual performance, has any one owed a similar car to mine ? if so can you give me your opinions please about the differences.

Also has any one had / thought about having a re-map ?

I appreciate buying a car is very much personal opinion, but now better place to get some thoughts than from the guys who currently drive the marque.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
There is only one real problem with the SLK55, the fact that it's only available as an automatic that does a pathetic impersonation of a manual/smg via unresponsive shift buttons.

If having an automatic car doesn't bother you, there is no problem. The SLK55 is by far the finest blend of luxury, performance, style, and dare I say, practicality that you can find from any roadster to date. It does everything well and is one of the most versatile and driveable roadsters money can buy. And it's a load of fun too, not to mention has the potential to make an unsuspecting passenger sh!t in their pants when you hit the go pedal.

If you can really get past the fact that you can only have one in an automatic, rest assured it is one of the finest automatics ever put in a road car. Just don't try to use the manual mode and expect any satisfaction from pretending to shift manually.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
masmole - 4/11/2005 5:49 PM

There is only one real problem with the SLK55, the fact that it's only available as an automatic that does a pathetic impersonation of a manual/smg via unresponsive shift buttons.

If having an automatic car doesn't bother you, there is no problem. The SLK55 is by far the finest blend of luxury, performance, style, and dare I say, practicality that you can find from any roadster to date. It does everything well and is one of the most versatile and driveable roadsters money can buy. And it's a load of fun too, not to mention has the potential to make an unsuspecting passenger sh!t in their pants when you hit the go pedal.

If you can really get past the fact that you can only have one in an automatic, rest assured it is one of the finest automatics ever put in a road car. Just don't try to use the manual mode and expect any satisfaction from pretending to shift manually.
I don't have the 55 but I do have the automatic and I am disappointed in how slow the gears change. Granted, I am still in the "C" mode because I am still in the break in period (800 miles)but when I go to accelerate like entering a freeway its like I have to floor the pedal and it takes forever to get up to speed. It is my first automatic and I do miss the control of changing gears.

Sorry, Millie, I digress. Welcome to the forum! OK where are all of you Brits..Wooly...IANX...???? Millie needs advice here![:D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
malibuite,
I think that once you get through the break-in period, you will no longer be disappointed. "S" mode shifts much quicker than "C" not to mention always starts in first gear instead of second to make it all the more fun to the butt-dyno as well as the ears. Take a look at this video clip I took accelerating from 0-75 mph. This is the SLK's 7G auto in "S" mode with the pedal floored. Shifts pretty quickly if you ask me. http://homepage.mac.com/lvelano/iMovieTheater21.html

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Maybe you'll find a UK 55 owner who can take you for a spin?

The SLK is a very different car to a Scoobie or M3. You gain some, you lose some.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
I went for a 350 because of the manual box (plus the 55 had not been released yet). Unless you are on a track, the 350 is quick enough - if you look at the performance figures of the 55 to the 350 they are not that different (I wouldn't have thought 10 grand different!). The 350 with MT has plenty of mid range grunt, and for our back country roads it is fine for me. (When I wanna scare myself, I take the Ducati out[:0][:0])

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

I have only ever driven a 'normal auto', this was my mothers Volvo v70, did not expect too much by way of performance anyway[:)]

This is indeed one of my concerns, I am so used to driving manual cars, and when having fun I just feel more in control etc.

The small video clip does seem to indicate that the 55 can indeed accelerate quite quickly.

I had test driven the 997 cs, which I could have as manual, but it does take me to close to the edge on finance etc than i would prefer.

I will have to have a good think about what to do, Subaru have taken one of the chief designers from Alfa and the new corporate nose is just not to my taste, this is another reson why I was considering the cahnge.

Once again thanks for youe replys.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
As an owner of a new 350 SLK, go for the 350, the 0.5 seconds you gain does not justify the extra cost! Plus, remember that when you service the car, the cost of the "special" AMG parts will become an issue.... Well, it would for poor ol' me[B)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts