Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined today to get hopefully objective feedback about a car local to me just put up for sale.

Above vehicle medium blue with saddle interior (in case color matters). Unrestored survivor runs OK. no sheetmetal rust but a few dings and scratches, faded paint. A few tears in the seats. Dash pad is good. Engine compartment looks its age and the battery tray is well-rusted. Original radio isn't installed but comes with car.

Has the factory steel wheels with blue wheelcovers, not the aluminum sport wheels Both tops in good shape. Comes with stand for storing hard top. Glass in good shape. Tires need to be replaced

Two main issues are that the AC only blows warm air and the flat, console section rear of the shifter (plastic ? rubber ?) is significantly scarred/cracked/peeling.(the area rearward of the hard plastic around the shifter)

My questions:
1. Worst case scenario how much to have NYC area shop fix the AC ? Could it cost more than $2000 to fix if the most expensive possible fix is needed ?
2. How/how much cost to replacing console ?
3. Estimated value of running 'driver quality' car as described above ?

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,333 Posts
Joined today to get hopefully objective feedback about a car local to me just put up for sale.

Above vehicle medium blue with saddle interior (in case color matters). Unrestored survivor runs OK. no sheetmetal rust but a few dings and scratches, faded paint. A few tears in the seats. Dash pad is good. Engine compartment looks its age and the battery tray is well-rusted. Original radio isn't installed but comes with car.

Has the factory steel wheels with blue wheelcovers, not the aluminum sport wheels Both tops in good shape. Comes with stand for storing hard top. Glass in good shape. Tires need to be replaced

Two main issues are that the AC only blows warm air and the flat, console section rear of the shifter (plastic ? rubber ?) is significantly scarred/cracked/peeling.(the area rearward of the hard plastic around the shifter)

My questions:
1. Worst case scenario how much to have NYC area shop fix the AC ? Could it cost more than $2000 to fix if the most expensive possible fix is needed ?
2. How/how much cost to replacing console ?
3. Estimated value of running 'driver quality' car as described above ?
I have same car and A/C doesn't work either. I drive my car top down unless I get caught in rain. Hardtop seldom goes on but may be useful if you live somewhere where the car will need to be locked. I long ago decided that for the way I use my SL, it does not need A/C (and our climate is not too much different from yours)

New consoles of the type the 72 has are no longer available. Later types are and can be adapted but are quite pricey! Best bet is to try and find one off a parts car. They are in demand, so you have to be quick when they come up for sale. I was lucky to get one for under $100 shipped to me. Replacement is not too difficult but could get a bit expensive if you had a shop do it. You will probably have to get some vinyl dye to match your interior (Available from World Upholstery).

BTW: That tray back of the shifter originally had a piece of carpet in it. maybe you could get away with putting in a new piece.

A 72 in not so good shape might be worth, say $4-5k after blemishes are fixed? As it is, it is not worth too much, depending on mileage etc. Fonzi is here, has similar car and lives in your area - he may know better.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,556 Posts
I like a nice interior and paint, which is why I went for my black car with a red interior. I think it looks great. I have learned a lot since I bought mine. I don't know what to say.

Ahh just buy it. Who needs AC or a nice interior?

You are handy right? And will be willing to do most of the work on your car yourself, right? If so, just buy it as cheap as possible and check into the asylum.

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes, but they are fun to work on.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
That has to be the butt ugliest SL I've ever seen. That is a little too much even for a patriotic hillbilly like myself. just saying. I'm not too sure a nibble would be coming even @ half price.

JK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts