Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300TD Blue/Blue, 2009 E320 Bluetec Black/Black, 2010 ML350 Bluetec
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guys/gals, I'm new to this forum and new to MB.

I have always wanted a 300TDT. I love the looks of this body style.
So I test drove an 84 300TDT the other day. I have never driven one before. It had about 250,000 miles on the clock. It accelerated extremely slow. So slow that I was really afraid to get on the highway, so I stuck to the side streets. To compare, it accelerated slower than a fully loaded U-Haul truck.

Is this normal? Is this just the nature of the car?

I was not expecting this car to be a stoplight racer by any means. What should I expect as far a 0-60 times?

Are there any differences between the 1984 & 1985 model years? Someone told me that an 85 will shift a bit better (faster) than the 84 because of a transmission computer, is this true?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
The 1985 has some electronic components for the transmission, it will keep it in a gear for longer if you use the kickdown. All turbodiesels should be able to do the aforementioned 12-15 seconds for a 0-60 mph run, irregardless of the transmission.

Could be fuel starvation (filters clogged), gas linkage not working properly so that the full-load stop on the pump isn't reached, ALDA line clogged (so that the turbo boost doesn't reach the diesel pump and no extra fuel is injected), transmission worn out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. Good to hear that what I experienced was not the norm.

Are there any other major differences between 84 & 85 300TDT ?

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Perhaps a rear gear ratio change, certainly some under hood vacuum differences.

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,172 Posts

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
85 has slightly taller gearing in the differential, so it'll rev a little lower on the highway. To compensate, the 85 starts from first gear around town. 81-84 i believe all start from second.

i would say, as long as it wasn't spitting out whole bunches of smoke (black, gray, white ext) i would say it could probably be pepped up with a little bit of TLC. Cleaning out a few vac lines, swapping out filters, and tightening up the throttle linkages can make a world of a difference in a lot of cases, and if you're feeling mechanical, a valve adjustment might really help bring it back. especially because many owners never bother with them, since it takes about an hour if you know what your doing and others are afraid to do it.

Was the engine cold when you went to check it out? How it starts from being dead cold can give you a pretty good hint as to what you're dealing with.

Also being a wagon, you might want to check the rear end of it for little leaks. The wagon has a hydraulic rear suspension system so if a couple of things are shot back there, it could get moderately expensive.

·
Registered
85 300D, 84 300D, 05 Mustang GT Vert, 11 VW JSW TDI, 95 Del Sol, 88 IROC, 95 Villager, 04 Wrangler
602 Posts
None of mine have started from second. Add a valve adjustment to the list of possibilities.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
85 has slightly taller gearing in the differential, so it'll rev a little lower on the highway. To compensate, the 85 starts from first gear around town. 81-84 i believe all start from second.

i would say, as long as it wasn't spitting out whole bunches of smoke (black, gray, white ext) i would say it could probably be pepped up with a little bit of TLC. Cleaning out a few vac lines, swapping out filters, and tightening up the throttle linkages can make a world of a difference in a lot of cases, and if you're feeling mechanical, a valve adjustment might really help bring it back. especially because many owners never bother with them, since it takes about an hour if you know what your doing and others are afraid to do it.

Was the engine cold when you went to check it out? How it starts from being dead cold can give you a pretty good hint as to what you're dealing with.

Also being a wagon, you might want to check the rear end of it for little leaks. The wagon has a hydraulic rear suspension system so if a couple of things are shot back there, it could get moderately expensive.
The engine was cold (South Florida). It started right up. No smoke at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts