Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am considering purchasing a '92 SL500 from a local dealer.

The BIGGEST concern I have is mileage. The car has 130,000. Its VERY clean, and seems pretty solid.

They are asking $19,900.

What kind of problems can I expect to have with this car? Other than the normal fit/finish/wear and tear issues. I am new to Mercedes, and am looking for some advice.

Thank you.
Dawn.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Hello. I am considering purchasing a '92 SL500 from a local dealer.

The BIGGEST concern I have is mileage. The car has 130,000. Its VERY clean, and seems pretty solid.

They are asking $19,900.

What kind of problems can I expect to have with this car? Other than the normal fit/finish/wear and tear issues. I am new to Mercedes, and am looking for some advice.
Dawn, I think for $20K you can find a newer SL500 with about the same (HIGH) mileage. A 1995 or newer SL500 would have more features and possibly be more reliable.

Note that in 1992, the SL500 was called "500SL" and was available only in a two-tone color scheme. The pictures you've posted show that the car has had, at a minimum, the lower body moldings repainted red. Although some people have this painting done just to improve the appearance, many times it is done because the car requires body work anyhow, and it's cheaper to paint it one color. Also the model lettering on the back may have been replaced to "SL500" for similar reasons. Otherwise it would cost $50 or so to replace those badges.

I base my recommendation on the newer car in that I've seen plenty at dealers around here, as well as cars.com and autotrader.com, in those price ranges. I just looked on autotrader and found 33 listings for 1995+ SL500s under $25K, including a 76,000 mile 1996 car for $22K. I expect similar results on cars.com.

Good luck!

-s-

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So ALL '92 had two tone paint?? What year did this stop? What year did they go to mono...

So ALL '92 had two tone paint?? What year did this stop? What year did they go to monocolor paint?

I have looked on Autotrader.com like you said, and a LOT of them have the bottom painted the same color. This must be a common thing to do to this particular year.

Thanks for the input

Dawn

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: So ALL '92 had two tone paint?? What year did this stop? What year did they go to mono

So ALL '92 had two tone paint?? What year did this stop? What year did they go to monocolor paint?

I have looked on Autotrader.com like you said, and a LOT of them have the bottom painted the same color. This must be a common thing to do to this particular year.

Thanks for the input

Dawn
Yes, all 1992 500SLs have two tone paint. This continued on the 500SL/SL500 models until 1995. 1996 was the first year of monotone paints on the SL500, it also had a slight redesign of the body panels.

I am not 100% positive, but PRETTY SURE that that color red was not available in 1992 on the 500SL. The two reds were metallic dark reds. You can check this by looking at the paint code plate under the hood, or in the driver's door jamb.

-s-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts