Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C220
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I need some advise i have owened a 4 jeep grands since they came out in 93 but they use alot of gas so ive found a 1996 c220 with 150,000 miles for $4995 it looks great runs great the keyless entry doesnt seem to work and the gas gauge doesnt work correctly it goes to emty when ya hit the brakes then back to full i have no idea if it was over full or not so if this would be a fuel sending unit bad are they had to get to so i can replace it ?
and i think i can get the price down a little
i need a reliable car and i need it for a long as possible without a lot of expinse other than mantaning it
ive never owened a MB ive also read about faulty wiring and a bad MAF
does this 96 C220 suffer those problems ? or any other and are those good engines with high miles all of my jeeps have got over 250,000 with nothing more than alt,batt or starter being replaced 1 of them even had over 300,000
on it so is it safe to expect this of the MB aswell ??

i have never had as good of a ride as i had out of test driving this MB btw
could be the start of an adiction

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Skip it. It's overpriced for the mileage and condition. It's also a base model entry level car. Someone who does not maintain their car clearly owned this one. You could get a 94 or 95 E320 with lower mileage for the same price.

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
I'm with X. If you're going to break into MB ownership, the base version of the baby car in the range probably isn't where you start. And in my experience with several used MBs, faults are rarely ever simple to repair. They are not necessarily breathtaking in either the expense or the time it takes, but they can be. MB doesn't construct simple vehicles, so be careful to understand what you are buying and what will be involved to make it right if it isn't. The E class series X mentioned was among the best vehicles MB ever produced--I had one that had 150k on the clock when I sold it, and I never did more than replace expendables and keep it clean.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Regardless of whether its a C-Class or E-Class . . . with most used Mercedes, the safest choice are the cars at or near the end of the chassis production run when most of the "bugs" and production defects have been corrected. For the C-Class that you were looking at, that would be the 98-2000 model years.

A bigger Mercedes doesn't necessarily mean a better maintained car, since most, not all, Mercedes original owners pamper their purchases. If a used car has had multiple owners, buying them at ever lowering price points, that's when maintenance gets neglected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts