Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Case 406
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:)]Hello I am a newbe I bought a 1975 case 406 last spring looks the same as Von's,(did) was owned by the City of Montreal Canada new after 5000 Miles and 935Hrs they broke the transmission and the 406 sat in a garge for years, I bought and payed for it after seeing only some pictures of it that the second owner that basically just had it in storage for years (WELL) [:0]after it arrived on a flat deck trailer the fun started it would not start with out using a screw driver on the starter body was ruff to say the least, but I wanted one any ways so, the good thing maybe is low Hrs and low miles due to the many years of a broken transmission, anyways it did arrive with a working transmission and also a damaged transmission for parts if I ever need them, I also fix the starting problem.
the 406 has been sitting here at the farm now for 8 or 9 months this winter I drove it in my shop to keep it out of the weather and it just is still just sitting there. well I have been reading every Unimog post and printed every picture that Von has posted and last week decided to flip the cab and see what was under there, also I have started to order parts, I was lucky to get two extra doors with mog which I have today plasma cut door skins off of so I will be adding 18 -20 inches of lenght to the cab,( If any one has any sujection on this look forwad to them) plus I will be replacing orignal cab for a better Cab I have found. Anyways reading all of your post have finilly got me started
Thanks Ken

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078, 1995 M1079, 1079box for sale !!!
5,857 Posts
welcome aboard Kenny. Look forward to seeing you and your Mog become ready for the road/trail.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,684 Posts
Ken, Welcome to the never ending world of "Unimog fever"! Once you get bit by the bug you can't help yourself![:0] And yes it is contagious! I got mine from looking at Andrew's photos![:D]
And look what it has done to me, I have spent all this money and time working on this truck. I now have blurry visions of trail riding in distint lands, and hunting in spots that I never would have dreamed of before this infliction! But there is light at the end of the tunnel, they say your vision clears up as you get closer to the end of your project, but I'm too far away from that point yet to see if its true or not!
Any way we need photos to show just how bad off you really are infected by "Unimog fever" so please post lots of photos of your cab extention. I for one would love to see them. Von

·
Registered
1975 Case 406
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi everyone
I am getting to the point of no return with the unimog, cab is up , fuel tank is off, air tank off ,case body is off ,battery box off,wheels and tires off, back brake drums off,front shocks and springs off, rear shocks off ,still trying to get rear springs off no luck yet,I built a stand that supports frame high enough to drop suspension .
I was first thinking of NOT pulling motor and transmission both out and only painting some of the frame but the more I get it apart the more I think I should pull them both out to do a better job,I guess I have been reading to many of Von,s post,I would be interested in anyone,s thoughts on to pull of not to pull pros and cons , also I would like to know if I can pull both motor and transmission out in one piece, I have a drott crane so wieght is not a problem but my manual does not say it can be done on a 406 unimog if any body knows please let me know.
I will be posting some pictures soon
Ken

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,684 Posts
Ken, I don't see why you can't pull both the motor and tranny as one if you have a crane handy. I know I had a heck of a time getting the motor and tranny lined up when putting it back together. I wished I could have done it as one, but I was by myself and my cherry picker was a bear to move with just the motor on. Want to bring that crane over when I need to put my cab back on?[:D] Please post some photos to show off your hard work! Von

·
Registered
1975 Case 406
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Von
Thanks for your response , hope to put up some pictures by the weekend,first how I recieved it pink primer,2nd my quicky paint job to keep my wife happy ,it looked pretty bad ,and 3rd were I am at now.
Ken

·
Registered
1975 Case 406
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Von
One question I also had for you was , where have you been buying parts like brake cables and the rubber boots for drive shafts etc.
Ken

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Ken, I got most of the parts I needed for this outfit in England.
http://www.unimogs.co.uk/
This is where I got my DoKa cab from. So I got the parts I needed and had them ship them with the cab. This way I didn't have to pay shipping. Plus they gave me good prices on the parts. And I needed alot!![:0]

·
Registered
78 416 seismic truck
71 Posts
Congrats Ken, You"ll have lots of fun with a Case 406.
I get most of my parts from Jim Ince at Eurotech Services www. eurotech_services dot com. You'll need to type that in of course. They are here in Oregon. Expedition imports can help you as well.
Kelly

p.s. wherever you get your parts have all you vin #, engine #, axle # blah, blah, blah ready in advance. They'll need them.

·
Registered
1975 Case 406
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone
Thanks for your reply Veggiemog, just finish tonight pulling both engine and tranny out all in one piece, also removed rear axel, it was a lot of work but it is done now, tomorrow will just try to clean up shop , I did take alot of pictures about 60 ,this may help me put it all back together later that is the hope anways,after talking to a my buddy about sand basting frame I think I will just send it out and have a company that does this all the time do it, I will be painting frame with par15 paint heard it really good ,I will let you all know .
Ken

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld Kenny1. I look forward to seeing pics of your Mog as the work continues. My brother and I were recently playing with the idea of restoring a mog back home as well, and some of the ones here really inspired us!

Just out of curiousity are you also registered with http://www.landrovernet.com? because there is someone there doing something very similar to what you are describing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Kenny, Welcome aboard,

I see that you have been infected by the Univirus M94, literature reports that it affects the cerebral cortex, inner psychological disturbances are experienced by the victim, it manifests itself by obsessive desire to fanangle a Mog, delusional dreams of personal beautiful Mog, superiority vehicle complex and such, it resolves itself with favorable Mog conclusion leaving the victim in an elated state when driving the culprit in question.

Wish you the best with your Mog, you did the right thing by pulling the engine and transmission together and you are doing the right thing by blasting the frame, the sand blaster will get all the difficult places the result will be very pleasing.
If you are going to sand blast the axles too cover the end of the torque tubes with a bleach bottle and tape the end with duct tape, after that wrap on top of it an old towel and go over with duct tape, stuff the double U joints and breather holes and brush lightly at indirect angles so you don’t get sand inside.

Come here at any time for inspiration, many Mogers went thru the same path you are just embarking, you will do good,

Good luck,
Andrew

·
Registered
1975 Case 406
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi thanks for your reply
know I am not on http://www.landrovernet.com/ I just bought the mog because I thought it was a very interesting truck/tractor , I have only own it for about 8 months, I bought it after seeing it on Ebay , it did not sell there, I made a deal with owner and had it shipped to me here in Ontario Canada, the main reason I wanted this unimog is that the original owner was the city of Montreal and after only 930 hrs they broke the transmission some how and the 2nd owner I bought it from has just been storing unimog for a future project he never had time to take on , but he did install good trans mission in mog just before shipping to me, when I recieve 406 the project seemed even overwhelming to me, so it has just been sitting here at the farm for 8 month, i think we put 10 miles on in only. I have seen lots of unimogs that have been restored and I have always been impressed with how they turn out, I have been reading all posts here and just thought it was time to do what needed to be done,also my unimog is the same one as Von,s the Case model and he has diffinetly motivated me to get started, I am gad I did, because when I am done it will be a unimog that I will want to keep and I will understand what really makes it tick.
Thanks again Ken

·
Registered
419 Posts
Storm, a little surprised to find you around in this parts but good to see you.
Someone with such a fine herd as yours needs to cap it of with a nice Unimog, an English fellow in the list just got himself a nice 416 in Germany, drove it back to England, if I am not mistaken he even got on the Autobahn, he sure got more pelotas than I do, he is quite happy with it.

·
Registered
1975 Case 406
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Andrew
Thanks for your reply
I will be sand blasting the axles myself here at the farm and the bottle idea sounds great will do that, but where is the breather ? I should be watching for , have not seen it yet, but will look much closer be for blasting, I do want to keep axles as one complete piece when blasting, other than cleaning up brakes do not want to disasemble , this is my first attempt at restoring a mog /truck or car so have to be carefull what I do, I have been very lucky so far every thing seems to be coming apart fairly easily so far , not bad for a 30 year old truck in about a week I have pretty much total disasembled the whole truck only thing left is to take off cab and front axle.
Ken

·
Registered
1975 Case 406
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All of these pictures are of the mog after my son and I did a really quick paint job on it the week we recieced it to keep my wife happy , it was recieved with different implemetes hanging off it and painted all over with pink primer , thoughs pictures I will try to post on the weekend so you will get a real start to the story, also some on where were at now
Ken

·
Registered
bug,nova,rabbit,sub
22 Posts
This is just a question out of left field but do hte 406's have more roomier cabs than the 404's? I have only seen the 404's in person. If so about how much? I'm 6'2" and when riding in my buddies radio box it's cozy to say the least. [:D]

·
Registered
1975 Case 406
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi thank for your question
I do not really have an answer , I find my 406 very small inside and I am only 5 foot 8" tall when I bought my 406 I recieved two extra doors with it and I have alreadly cut the doors apart for the door skins ,when finished I want it to look like that is the way it was oringinly built there is a company in the U.S. that does this and they do a good job at it will post there name when I find it or a picture I will be adding 18-20 inched to cab, like an extended cab for more room inside for thing like extra heater in back more leg room better sets, more windows,
Ken

1 - 20 of 62 Posts