Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06 S55; 08 R350
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking to replace my wife's ML with an 08 R350. I've read a number of threads here about maintenance issues, including the 39k fluid change. My question is, where is that requirement documented? I'm close to pulling the trigger on a CPO vehicle with 42k, and I asked the sales person to confirm that the transmission service has been performed. She said that she was unaware of such a requirement. I just want to be able to point her in the right direction.

TIA for the response. I look forward to joining the group.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
Point her to the owners manual where the maintenance schedule is listed. Also tell her to go sell purses or something else.

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
X2 on looking at the service schedule in the maintenance book. To be fair, sales people in general won't have that info. I think it is the sales dept job include the service records for your review, but in general their job is to sell cars just like a service advisor will not know much about sales questions.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I agree that the salesperson might not know. They do know the number of a service advisor to call though. She shouldn't have dismissed the question like that.

·
Registered
06 S55; 08 R350
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up. . .what do you think of this. She called back and confirmed that the transmission service was due, but says they will not perform the service unless I agree to pay for it separately. In other words, they won't perform the service as part of the certification process. What? I called MBUSA and was told that maintenance does not need to be up to date in order for the dealer to certify the car. That's lousy, IMO.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ask them the exact cost for the service in writing. Then subtract that figure from your offer and submit it saying that you will pay for it yourself. If they already have your original offer then state to them what your requirement is. This service is a $400 job (your cost) If they play hardball about it then their practices are suspect. I don't know of any dealers that would refuse a sale for $400 (probably half that is their cost).
Ask to see a complete run down of all work history. There should be other maintenance items there such as brake fluid replacement every two years ($85 at my dealer). Then you will get a complete picture of what you are looking at. If not... there are plenty of Rs out there!

·
Registered
06 S55; 08 R350
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Documented A service at 13k, B service at 42k. They are offering to to the tranny service for $275.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Make sure they really do it though... They may pretend they did it and you will have old ATF thinking that it was done. Get them to reduce the price and then take it and get it done in another dealership or something like that...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am starting not to trust these guys. Mitaka is right IMO. If you are happy with everything then buy it and consider taking it elsewhere for tranny fluid and brake fluid replacement. Unless they are selling it at a very attractive price it makes no sense they would not perform these real quick.

·
Registered
06 S55; 08 R350
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
They're stuck on $28,995 (4Matic, Capri Blue, P01, iPod, 7 seat, heated seats), with new tires and brakes being part of the CPO work. With a just completed B service, I think that's likely about as good a deal as I can find for a comparable CPO vehicle. This month's auction sales for comparable 08 R350s ran $26,500 +/-.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My R-Class just hit 80k and I have never done the transmission fluid change. I plan to do it when it hits 100k. I have done it on my ML and S-class myself, need mercedez benz synthetic transmission fluid for the job. very expensive liquid!

·
Registered
437 Posts
My R-Class just hit 80k and I have never done the transmission fluid change. I plan to do it when it hits 100k. I have done it on my ML and S-class myself, need mercedez benz synthetic transmission fluid for the job. very expensive liquid!
Expensive? not really (about $150 or so), but not nearly as expensive as a new tranny would be. (approx $7K). IMO you should get it changed asap. Just because you haven't had issues does not mean you are not damaging your transmission.

·
Registered
2007 GL450; 2012 E350 Wagon; 1995 E32000 SL500 sold sad!); 1999 CL500 sold sad;
202 Posts
Expensive? not really (about $150 or so), but not nearly as expensive as a new tranny would be. (approx $7K). IMO you should get it changed asap. Just because you haven't had issues does not mean you are not damaging your transmission.
Not for nothing does MB recommend anything. They are very precise transmission and the 39K removes any fine particles from the original mfg, plus the filter that may have trapped any fines. After the replacement the fines are gone and the filter is clear. Do it now, then do it at another 100-150k miles, if you like.

If you can verify that true MB full synthetic ATF fluid is used, then service life should very extended, as agreed with factory. Mobil One engineer once told me that life of high quality synthetic is 20 years on the shelf and many years in field service, if not abused.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts