Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1987 W124, 300D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Well, I am new here but not to vehicles and forums lol. I stumbled on a pretty clean 87 300D for cheap, at least I can scrap it and break even if needed. After doing some internet searching, I found this website and thought it would be a good place to be for this car. What I have found is somehow this car survived all this time with the trap oxidizer before the turbo. My interpretation of the old campaign 96-1211, namely this part
1987 Model Year cars it extended our warranty indefinitely
leads me to believe the possibility of this still being covered under warranty? I called the local dealer, they said the campaign was closed on this car, or that it did not pull up with the VIN. The problem is the trap is still there and is a problem, I verified that. The dealer said they would need me to bring the vehicle to them and they would look into it, whatever that means, I'm skeptical they can do anything at all about it. Anyway does anyone on here have any recent experience on this old campaign, what to expect, is it possible they still honor this, etc?

Thanks, for taking time to read and respond.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,395 Posts
The campaign is still in place AFAIK. The recall consists, at a minimum, of a brand new turbo and a full exhaust from the turbo to tailpipe with the trap oxidizer being replaced with a oxidation catalyst.

Also, if they determine the engine sustained damage due to breakup of the trap oxidizer, then you qualify to get a complete replacement engine as well.

Your dealer doesn't have the right info re. this recall. As an example, MB is still honoring front subframe replacements on the early R107 SL cars. And that is a vehicle which hit the road 50 years ago.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,868 Posts
Thats definitely the Trap ox and unless something has changed they are still honoring the recall on that part. I would take it in and be prepared to have to escalate it up thru Mercedes and potentially use a different dealer. The vast majority of their techs who would be familiar with this engine and repair are long since retired.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all. I bought that '87 300SDL that was up on the boards here for a few days. I'll put some pictures up soon. Has a few areas for improvement, but was a really good deal. As Jim had mentioned in the post, it has the Trap-oxidizer still in place, even with 274k miles. So, I'd like to get the obligatory freebie fix. I did a search and got a lot of info on this, but not the HOW? So, Those of you who've been through this, have you had to provide any documentation to the dealer? Or did you simply call and have them run the vin number? I've tried looking up the recall and cant find the actual recall document- anyone have it?
Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
You take the car to the dealer and they verify vin# and then determine if the vehicle is eligible.

·
Registered
1987 W124, 300D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will get this car to the dealer, probably within a week or so, it is not a big priority right now. I will update this post as new info from the dealer rolls in. Thank you for the wisdom and replies.

·
Registered
1987 W124, 300D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Minor update, The car is at the dealer now, dropped off today (saturday). The guy was very relucatant to say they could do anything at all, and he did not want me leaving the vehicle with him either which I am clueless why. Anyway their records show the campaign was closed (he didn't show me this or provide a date when). I have a record from previous owner where the trap-ox was replaced back in '92 or maybe '91, and not sure if that would close this campaign out or not. Anyway the service adviser said he would get the shop foreman involved Monday to investigate. I left the car with him, letting him know the fact is this vehicle still has a trap ox, and the oxidation catalyst (per campaign) is not installed, it will need a turbo too. I did not tell them yet, this trap ox has been verified to have come apart and it has destroyed the turbo. These engines are true turds when trying to breath through a locked up turbo with trap-ox chunks in the turbine housing. I will update again when I get more info.

·
Registered
1987 W124, 300D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I am not sure how this is going to go after today. Dealer said they can't do anything ( recall closed) there is no possible way to "re-open", and told me to call the 1800 for-mercedes, I called them and got the same spill, just a little more brash about it. I have been accused by both of just wanting free stuff on a car that is over 30yrs old. Honestly the guy from the 1800# was pretty rude about it. The dealer acknowledges this car does not have the campaign parts on it, but cannot provide a reason why the campaign was closed or when it was closed.

I am now waiting on the service mgr to contact whoever it is that he needs to speak to about making a decision with this. I think it's a regional rep or service rep, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,868 Posts
Well, I am not sure how this is going to go after today. Dealer said they can't do anything ( recall closed) there is no possible way to "re-open", and told me to call the 1800 for-mercedes, I called them and got the same spill, just a little more brash about it. I have been accused by both of just wanting free stuff on a car that is over 30yrs old. Honestly the guy from the 1800# was pretty rude about it. The dealer acknowledges this car does not have the campaign parts on it, but cannot provide a reason why the campaign was closed or when it was closed.

I am now waiting on the service mgr to contact whoever it is that he needs to speak to about making a decision with this. I think it's a regional rep or service rep, I'm not sure.
Many dealers have zero knowledge or desire to help in any way on these older cars so your experience isn't really any surprise. Thankfully mine has always been quite helpful but I only deal with the parts department. I had been given a few sideways glances by the sales staff when Ive pulled up in a former beater W123 but whenever I show up in my current E420 or 240D they usually come look and comment on how these were so much better built than the new ones.

·
Registered
1987 W124, 300D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another update, vehicle is still at dealer, and their hands are tied, it's not their problem, its between mercedes and I. That's understandable that to a degree but I would have imagined they could contact someone who with a little information about my vehicle could make a decision, or at least steer them (or me) in the direction of who needs to be contacted. . It is totally up me to find an answer to this problem, and the 1800 mercedes number has not been any help so far, they have told me they will look into it and call me back, I have called them back several times after not hearing anything and it's like I have start all over, nothing has been done. They are good at offering generic/vague answers, opinions and a little rudeness.

Here are a few answers I have received so far,

This is a 30+ year old vehicle, ( so what )
Campaigns close after 7 years, (No, they dont )
You should ask the previous owner why, (Sorry, I can't speak to dead people ).
Are you just wanting free repairs. ( Can you define what "extending our warranty indefinitely" means )

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
You need to call MB HQ @ 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372) and explain the situation. Don't waste your time explaining 3 times, ask for a manager or someone who can actually make decisions on the spot.

Tell them you suspect the trap oxidizer was replaced (as part of normal maintenance as outlined in the manual) but that the recall which eliminated the trap oxidizer was never performed on your vehicle.

·
Registered
1987 W124, 300D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is the number I have called. They won't let me speak to anyone above them or a manager.

The trap ox was replaced, before the recall, they have record of that, no record of the recall being performed.

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Well if they have no record of the recall having been performed then it should be a clear cut case IMO.

·
Registered
1987 W124, 300D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is where I get theie generic excuses, and opinions like,
Car and recall are too old, recall has expired, parts unavailable, previous owner should have taken care of it...

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Sounds like they are trying to blow you off, welcome to the new gen MB era where we treat our customers like Apple treats its customers with a out of factory warranty safety defect a.k.a. "why are you bothering me with this old junk when you can buy a brandnew model". I've known several '87 diesels that had the recall performed all within the last 5 years. AFAIK, since this is a emissions related campaign there is no end date but you've got to complain and complain hard. The idea is to make it clear to them you will not "just simply go away".

Shove these pages under their noses and see what they say. If not, you may want to hit up some legal "help". That is when MB usually gets really proactive.

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Here is the PDF version in case you need/want to make a hard copy

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts