Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985, 500SEL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Here comes another newb question:

I drive a euro '85 500 SEL. Does it hurt the tranny or anything else in the car if shift while driving? I'm not talking about going 60 and popping it in reverse or park, haha. While I have it in "D"rive and step on it while going 60-70 on the freeway, it doesn't downshift quick at all. RPMs go up a little with little speed gain. But, I can shift it to "3" and it downshifts on the spot, which then I can zoom by those lousy American cars. Does this hurt the transmission at all? I don't mind it not shifting on it's own that much (I think it's just getting old); I enjoy the manual feeling it gives me haha. Just curious because I want to not have to junk it because of a tranny being shot.

Also, is it okay to start in "1B" and go to "2" then "3" etc.? Basically trying to stick shift from a standstill to get most pickup. I see that many people do this and was just curious.

For reference, I don't have any FGS fancy equipment or anything, I don't think. I know if I have it in "D" it will skip first gear, but if it's in "3" it will go 123 but not shift into 4 unless I put it in "D." It shifts a bit rougher while in "3" but more pickup. There are 200,000 miles on the car.

Sorry for all the newb questions. One day, my Mercedes Jedi powers will be strong!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
1) Shifting while driving is OK as long as you watch your RPMs.
2) it's bad to put it from N to D while driving
3) it's OK to downshift for braking
4) you don't hurt your tranny by putting it in 1B in any way - but there is of course a much larger wear because of power demand :) but hey - it's a car, it was built for 6000 RPMs, the engine was built to RUN!

·
Registered
1980 380 SE (Euro)
756 Posts
although i do notice quite a bit more wear, it's too fun to stop!

i try my hardest to rev-match, upshifting and downshifting... it helps smooth it out (and is better for the tranny i suppose)

i downshift quite a bit... and for such a heavy car like this, it helps a LOT!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts