Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1982 500 SL AMG
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Board

I just purchased a nice 82 300 CD and I would like to make a few changes to it. I tried the search function but did not find the answers I am looking for so hopefully you guys can help.

Where can I purchase euro lights in new or near new condition and how much are they selling for?

I would like to use these wheels in a 17" diameter, will they fit without mods/spacers?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=AMG&wheelModel=Aero+II+Monoblock&wheelFinish=Silver+w%2FMachined+Lip

If no what would I have to do to make them fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
I don't know anything about wheels but you can find euro lights over on ebay. Are you looking for the old style round ones or the newer square ones?

You can buy new lights made in Tiawan for around $200+ shipping and most people who have bought them have been happy.

Bosch and Hella euros are a bit harder to find and good pairs do run from $150 to $300. Vacuum adjust is something you probably don't need for a US spec car but does make them a bit more valuable.

I happened to get a decent pair of Bosch non-vacuum's for about $180+ 20 or so shipping. You just have to look on ebay and be patient for a good used pair. Good Luck.

Just curious, where are you located? If you are in a state with Pull-it yards sometimes you can get lucky and find a euro with a good pair.

·
Registered
Mercedes 600
1,171 Posts
Welcome. Post some pics before you mod it out.

·
Registered
1982 500 SL AMG
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I am located in San Antonio, Tx. I should have some pics soon. When looking for the euro lights on ebay what keywords should I enter for the search.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Try "w123 euro", "w123 h4", "mercedes 123 euro", "123 euro". There are 3 sets on ebay right now.

Looks like this one may end at a good price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-W123-Hella-H4-Euro-Headlights_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8056115891QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You will need 6 plug sockets when you get the lights. There is a guy on ebay selling them for 5 or 6 dollars plus shipping but really you can just use tail light plugs and they can be removed and had from any parts car for cheap. Good luck in your searches.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Well, yes, they came standard on the 280CE, and was an option for 300's, but from what I hear the 300CD wasn't available in Europe?

So, I guess it's true that all European 300CD's came with the "flat" lenses. It's just that the number released was 0.

I like that "flat" or "rectangular" Euro set on e-bay. The fogs still look round under the glass. If you could tint the fog bucket amber somehow, you'd be sitting pretty.

·
Registered
84 300D Turbo
56 Posts
I've seen other posts talking about replacing the original (14" I suppose) size wheels with larger ones. Thought I would ask what might be a dumb question: does the larger wheel diameter change the accuracy of the speedometer?? seems it would to me but I've never heard it discussed as a consequence of making the change.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Not if you lower the profile of your tire, but there's only so "low profile" you can go.

As far as "offset" goes, I think the originals are 25mm? If I remember correctly, I think you can go up to 35mm without problems. Maybe someone can confirm that.

·
Registered
1986 300E, 1978 280CE
68 Posts
RE: san antonio

Hey - I'm in San Antonio too - let me know sometime and we can get a San Antonio get together going :)

John

·
Registered
1982 500 SL AMG
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just picked up a set of euro lights on ebay. I just need to get some clear corner lights next.

Is there a good market for the factory US spec headlights and factory amber corners? I may put them on ebay after I swap to the new stuff.

Also what do you guys use to polish your headlights?

Kris

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Congrats on those lights, you got a great deal. Post some pictures once you get them on the car and wired up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts