·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About damned time.

Commentary: Why we need an obesity tax - CNN.com

By David Paterson
Special to CNN

Editor's note: David Paterson, a Democrat, is governor of New York.

ALBANY, New York (CNN) -- Like many New Yorkers, I remember a time when nearly everyone smoked. In 1950, Collier's reported that more than three-quarters of adult men smoked. This epidemic had a devastating and long-lasting impact on public health.

Today, we find ourselves in the midst of a new public health epidemic: childhood obesity.

What smoking was to my parents' generation, obesity is to my children's generation. Nearly one out of every four New Yorkers under the age of 18 is obese. In many high-poverty areas, the rate is closer to one out of three.

That is why, in the state budget I presented last Tuesday, I proposed a tax on sugared beverages like soda. Research has demonstrated that soft-drink consumption is one of the main drivers of childhood obesity.

For example, a study by Harvard researchers found that each additional 12-ounce soft drink consumed per day increases the risk of a child becoming obese by 60 percent. For adults, the association is similar.

If we are to succeed in reducing childhood obesity, we must reduce consumption of sugared beverages. That is the purpose of our proposed tax. We estimate that an 18 percent tax will reduce consumption by five percent.

Our tax would apply only to sugared drinks -- including fruit drinks that are less than 70 percent juice -- that are nondiet. The $404 million this tax would raise next year will go toward funding public health programs, including obesity prevention programs, across New York state.

The surgeon general estimates that obesity was associated with 112,000 deaths in the United States every year. Here in New York state, we spend almost $6.1 billion on health care related to adult obesity -- the second-highest level of spending in the nation.

Last year, legitimate concerns about links between consumption of fast food and the prevalence of heart disease prompted New York City to ban the use of trans fats in restaurant food.

No one can deny the urgency of reducing the rate of obesity, including childhood obesity. Obesity causes serious health problems like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It puts children at much greater risk for life-threatening conditions such as cardiovascular disease and cancer.

We must never stigmatize children who are overweight or obese. Yet, for the sake of our children's health, we have an obligation to address this crisis. I believe we can ultimately curb the obesity epidemic the same way we curbed smoking: through smart public policy.

In recent decades, anti-smoking campaigns have raised awareness. Smoking bans have been enacted and enforced. And, perhaps most importantly, we have raised the price of cigarettes.

In June, New York state raised the state cigarette tax an additional $1.25. According to the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, this increase alone will prevent more than 243,000 kids from smoking, save more than 37,000 lives and produce more than $5 billion in health care savings.

These taxes may be unpopular, but their benefits are undeniable. Last month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that, for the first time in generations, fewer than 20 percent of Americans smoked. Lung cancer rates have finally begun to decline. As a result, we are all healthier.

Just as the cigarette tax has helped reduce the number of smokers and smoking-related deaths, a tax on highly caloric, non-nutritional beverages can help reduce the prevalence of obesity.

To address the obesity crisis, we need more than just a surcharge on soda. We need to take junk food out of our schools. We need to encourage our children to exercise more. And we need to increase the availability of healthy food in underserved communities.

But to make serious progress in this effort, we need to reduce the consumption of high-calorie drinks like nondiet soda among children and adults.

I understand that New Yorkers may not like paying a surcharge for their favorite drinks. But surely it's a small price to pay for our children's health.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of David Paterson.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,177 Posts
Can internet use be governmentally(?) tracked for time useage so we can all be taxed by our time spent online. Imagine the bandwidth that could be freed up if people weren't uploading untold hours of video to YouTube because of the hit they'd take in taxes. Think of how much more efficient and productive America would become if all of the people with access to the internet were actually working instead because they couldn't afford to surf the a$$ thread.

Taxes of this nature should be applied as liberally as possible, no?

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Think of how much more efficient and productive America would become if all of the people with access to the internet were actually working instead because they couldn't afford to surf the a$$ thread.

Taxes of this nature should be applied as liberally as possible, no?[/QUOTE]

:twak:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
Moderator, please whack his peepee!!!!

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
Can internet use be governmentally(?) tracked for time useage so we can all be taxed by our time spent online. Imagine the bandwidth that could be freed up if people weren't uploading untold hours of video to YouTube because of the hit they'd take in taxes. Think of how much more efficient and productive America would become if all of the people with access to the internet were actually working instead because they couldn't afford to surf the a$$ thread.

Taxes of this nature should be applied as liberally as possible, no?

This guy is coming over to sit on you while you are sleeping.......

YouTube - Fatman Deadlifts his Stomach

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
QUOTE=Digmenow;3214696]I can't afford to watch it. I bought a regular Coke in Brooklyn.[/QUOTE]
:yelrotflmao:
Hey Dig, I just noticed you have an 81 380 (I'm sharper than an egg, huh?). Any hints or suggestions? Stuff I should look for?
Let me know, I appreciate the input!
Bandit

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
I agree with this tax. I also believe that people who smoke NOT be covered for illnesses resulting from tobacco use such as lung disease, heart disease, cancers, high blood pressure, etc. Any disability claims filed due to illness as a result of smoking should be denied. Same goes for obesity as a result of over eating and not exercising, (excluded should be medical and genetic reasons for obesity). Also should be included in this category , people who are non compliant and then they suffer even more complications of their disease. One example is an amputation of a foot of a NON COMPLIANT diabetic patient. His surgery should NOT be covered by his health insurance. THESE are the people who are the main cause of rising health care costs for the rest of the nation although not the only cause but a significant cause.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I agree with this tax. I also believe that people who smoke NOT be covered for illnesses resulting from tobacco use such as lung disease, heart disease, cancers, high blood pressure, etc. Any disability claims filed due to illness as a result of smoking should be denied. Same goes for obesity as a result of over eating and not exercising, (excluded should be medical and genetic reasons for obesity). Also should be included in this category , people who are non compliant and then they suffer even more complications of their disease. One example is an amputation of a foot of a NON COMPLIANT diabetic patient. His surgery should NOT be covered by his health insurance. THESE are the people who are the main cause of rising health care costs for the rest of the nation although not the only cause but a significant cause.
So after we kill all these people we can bury them in a mass grave, thus not cutting down any trees for individual gravesites, coffins, etc and lowering the greenhouse gas emissions (because they won't be breathing, either) in addition to lowering insurance costs for the rest of us.
I would think in your line of work that you probably deal with actual doctors at some point. Maybe you should ask THEM - I know several personally and ALL agree the main cause of rising costs are insurance premiums (can anyone say BAILOUT?). Actual insurance payouts are a minimal part of the equation.
It's a vicious circle.
Oh, and I'm sure the diabetic WANTED to have his foot chopped off. Moron.

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
This type of stuff is why politicians need to STFU at times. The Law of Unintended Consequences [apparently the only law besides gravity to actually work in the past eight years] is going to provide surprises and ramifications.

As an example:

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?

Just google diet cola weight gain and you will get the picture.

·
66,894 Posts
What is overweight anyway? Shit based on BMI bullshit I would be considered obese. So now what? I get taxed more because I am beefy. this is bs

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
This type of stuff is why politicians need to STFU at times. The Law of Unintended Consequences [apparently the only law besides gravity to actually work in the past eight years] is going to provide surprises and ramifications.

As an example:

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?

Just google diet cola weight gain and you will get the picture.
Hooray Bear!
I second that one. This country wouldn't be in half of the shitstorm it's in if politicians actually did their jobs and ran the government in the best interests of the friggin PEOPLE THAT ELECTED THEM!!
Bandit

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
What is overweight anyway? Shit based on BMI bullshit I would be considered obese. So now what? I get taxed more because I am beefy. this is bs
As I have stated before, the years that I rode 5000-7000 miles per year on my bike and weighed 220# and could easily ride 200 miles in any given 15 hour period, I was still considered 33 pounds overweight by the BMI charts and my insurance company.

It was only after I threatened to ride from Lex to Indy, come to their office and strip down and let them find any fat that they left me alone.

While I couldn't make that same threat now, the BMI charts are still based on averages and don't take into account different body types or muscle mass.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Learn to read dumbass.

So after we kill all these people we can bury them in a mass grave, thus not cutting down any trees for individual gravesites, coffins, etc and lowering the greenhouse gas emissions (because they won't be breathing, either) in addition to lowering insurance costs for the rest of us.
I would think in your line of work that you probably deal with actual doctors at some point. Maybe you should ask THEM - I know several personally and ALL agree the main cause of rising costs are insurance premiums
(can anyone say BAILOUT?). Actual insurance payouts are a minimal part of the equation.
It's a vicious circle.
Oh, and I'm sure the diabetic WANTED to have his foot chopped off. Moron.
Not only do I deal with "actual" doctors, I AM A DOCTOR:eek: And I will be a DOCTOR IN TRAINING soon. :eek: I am doing Cancer Research in order to publish a paper so as to increase my chances of a fellowship in Hematology/Oncology.
Not only do I deal with "actual" doctors, I come from a family full of them and now let me educate you on EXACTLY what the real problems are:

1. One problem, and like I said, "not the only cause but a significant cause" of increasing costs is the fact that insurance companies have to pay out increasing amounts of money for people who are non compliant. EXAMPLE: If a diabetic is not taking his pills, not trying to achieve a good glycemic control then he will be up shit creek. Just taking his pills will cost his insurance company JUST $10-$30/month:eek: Now if he is not compliant, add atherosclerosis which will lead to hypertension, which will lead to a heart attack. Microscopically, without proper glycemic control, his nerves will be damaged at an accelerated rate as well as poor wound healing which will eventually lead to an amputation and this list can go on for several pages but I am not here to teach you medicine. Can you see how much more the insurance company will be paying out? Do you think that they just absorb the costs? NO! It gets spread to all of us. "An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure"

2. DEFENSIVE MEDICINE: Doctors order extra tests in order to just cover their own asses. We are actually NOW TAUGHT this practice in Medical Schools! EVEN if the doctor knows that he doesn't NEED the test, he WILL order it just for documentation to cover his ass. This added cost is made up by insurance companies by passing them along to the rest of us.

3. LAWYERS: They are the cause of the above (#2). There is an alarming rate of mal practice suits filed in this country. A very very few of them actually go to litigation but even fewer are won by patients. These 'ambulance chasing personal injury lawyers" do a great part of the damage and cause doctor to do #2 above.

4. MAL PRACTICE INSURANCE COMPANIES: These are the companies that doctors pay to yet even if the doctor is innocent they will still "SETTLE" because it keeps them from going to court and most of the time the doctor usually does NOT have a say so in the matter. MOST OF THESE ARE USUALLY NOT DESERVING.

The first 3 DIRECTLY affect the whole population, the last one affects the doctors. There are several other reasons but I have listed the most important ones. And yes, although the FIRST one that I listed is NOT the ONLY problem, it IS HOWEVER a significant one.

Now I will tell you, MORON, print this out and show it to the doctors that you know. If even one says otherwise or doesn't agree with all of the above then I will publicly apologize to you. Ask any final year medical student in this country. Ask any resident physician in any one of the residency programs at teaching hospitals.

AND NO, the definition of obesity is NOT a correct one or at least how it is measured today. As Drew said, he would be considered obese but he is all muscle and is probably in perfect health. The obese that I am referring to is a fat ass pig who everyone else would also consider to be a fat slob as well. By the same standard I would be considered underweight but I am in perfect health and I DO HAVE diabetes but have perfect control, although it went out of whack a few months ago to the point that it swelled my nerves and my eye site was affected for a little while. All is normal now. It was a change in meds because I joined a trial that was trying to find a cure for diabetes. I had to be taken off the meds and had to go off the trial. I WILL volunteer my body again for experiments should another trial pops up that interests me. I am not knocking diabetes as I am one. I am knocking the people who are not compliant. It is OK for a person to have any disease but it is NOT OK for a person to not do anything about it and let society pick up the tab for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts