Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 230 SLK Sport
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of today I am now the proud owner of my yellow SLK. And already, I've got some problems!

The fuel gauge is all over the place, including sometimes the needle rests on the temp gage! If I shut off the car and turn it back on, sometimes it resets to normal. I'm trying to figure out if it sounds more like the gauge or the sending unit in the tank? Because it's all over and then resets, I'm leaning towards the gauge but it's an expensive guess! Anybody have this same issue?

Also, for a car with 38K, it seems to have a premature steering/tracking problem - when I hit a bump or uneven payment on the Highway, it goes where it wants to! I guess I'll have a pro look at it but it seems like low mileage to have worn suspension parts already!!!

Jaye
[:)][8D]
99 Sunburst 230 SLK Sport
98 BMW 740IL

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jaye. Don't have any sugesstions reagrding your fuel gauge problem, but the tracking could be out because the previous owner hit a curb and knocked it out. The steering can be quite lights sometimes anyway, I always take care when riding over speed bumps etc. The large tyres can "tramline" giving the impression that the steering has a mind of its own.
Have fun with the SLK.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
WTTC!, Fuel sender unit is known o go bad on SLKs. but usual indication of it - it shows only 7/8 or 3/4 when tank is full. I suggest you start with master reset of your car - unplug the battery and leave it for 10 minutes. (but first - make sure you got the radio code).

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Welcome!! Welcome!! like Kirill said try to unplug your battery first... wont hurt if you try.. but will save you money if it works.. :)

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
MrLan1 - 3/3/2005 2:55 AM

Also, for a car with 38K, it seems to have a premature steering/tracking problem - when I hit a bump or uneven payment on the Highway, it goes where it wants to! I guess I'll have a pro look at it but it seems like low mileage to have worn suspension parts already!!!

Jaye
[:)][8D]
99 Sunburst 230 SLK Sport
98 BMW 740IL
Tracking problems are usually caused by wheel alignment problems and the stiffness of the tire sidewalls, and exacerbated by inflation variances (try inflating to the factory pressure settings before doing anything else). Then start with a 4 wheel alignment, at which time the alignment guy will tell you if you have problem with any joints or bushings in the suspension and steering links; there shouldn't be any if the mileage is accurate. Be sure he checks out the steering "damper" which adds resistance to any steering movements the suspension might try to do for you. Some brands/types of tires work better than others; if you use the "search" feature, you can find several types that others have used successfully with this car.

When everything is working "right", the car tracks very nicely with slight "tramlining" when you cross longitudinal ridges (parallel to the direction of travel)due to road patch height irregularities. It should not "jump" around under any circumstances. I drove a few that were out of alignment while we were looking for the car we eventually bought and they wandered around a bit on rough test roads, but I can assure you that once you get it set up right, you will find the car to drive very nicely and stabily.

Welcome to the herd, Jaye.[:)]

·
Registered
190E 2.3 & SLK230K
403 Posts
good choice in colour...[:D]

·
Registered
2000 Slk230 Sport
144 Posts
I see you have a sport too. I don't think you have a problem with your suspension. My car does the same think and I have had my car from new. Low profile wide tires do that on bumpy uneven roads. Some tires are worse than others. If you car wonders on good smooth roads then I would worry.

·
Registered
SLK 230 yellow
200 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jaye[:)] Sunburst rules![:D]

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
No way! Magmas are way better!!! And more rare....i think....hmmmm

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Like Kiril suggested start with a master reset. Remember that you will also have to calibrate the ESP. It is a simple procedure of turning your wheel from lock to lock. If the reset does not work I am guessing it is you sending unit. Very rarely do the gauges themselves go bad.

Let me open a can of worms here. Part of your steering issue is the Mercedes recriculating ball it just does not provide the feel or feedback of a rack and pinion unit. That said the first thing to check is tire inflation. Next is to take it to a decent shop and have them check the alignment.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Your stearing problem could be your not use to driving a rear wheel car. When im breaking hard my car wants to go all over alone with bad roads the car doesnt take nicely to them.

Or alighnment just something to consider.

If you need to get behind the instrument cluster pm me I have detailed pics.

--Deathy

·
Registered
99 230 SLK Sport
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies...and I agree, SUNBURST RULES! I get soooo many looks in my car. The steering is far from normal, going to take it in this weekend for an alignment and see what they say, I suspect worn ball joints.

I found something new with the gas gauge, if it's less than half a tank, it works great! Since I'm always driving around on empty anyways, this should be no problem for me. Yeah, I'm guessing it's the sending unit..the steeler says its a $105 part and I think I can do it myself.

Two other fun things I found, on my powerLESS seats (YUK!)the "height adjustment" levers on both seats are dead. Guess I'll be pulling the seats out this weekend to see whats up with that.

And lastly...my electric cooling fan never comes on! Car runs great, but I don't recommend a long wait in a drive-thru with the engine running. So much for ordering extra cheese on that double-double!

Hey, I got a sport model in the color I wanted with 38K miles for $18K so I knew there would be minor issues to fix. I just hope after these things are resolved I won't keep going through this much hassle or my new yellow car will be looking for a new home.

BTW - COULD THE SEATS BE ANY MORE FIRM???? LIKE SITTING ON A ROCKS!!!!

[:D][:D][:D]

Any 230SLK Owners in SoCal? We should start a group like the SoCaL7 club for BMW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts