Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Swiss 404 - 1977 Porsche 911 S
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a few pics of my 404 with a set of brand new XMCL radials on it. These are the replacement for the XM-27.

Size is 340/80R20 (12.5R20), 41.2" diameter.

They will be getting very dirty soon.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1969 404.1, 1987 300SDL, 1999 C230K
64 Posts
Michelin recommends an 11 inch rim for these tires. Did you find some 11 inch rims to fit your 404, or did you use the stock 9 inch rims? Did the tire shop insist that you use tubes, if your rims did not meet the recommendation? Do these tires have a speed rating, and do they have a DOT number? I'm asking these questions because it appears that you have mounted agricultural tires which may not be legal on the road.

Michelin AG - Products - Tire Name

·
Registered
1972 Pinzgauer 710m, 1989 JDM Toyota Landcruiser BJ74 RHD
195 Posts
Wow:eek: The new tires look great!! Makes me wish I would have went with the ag style tread. How stiff are they? Are you able to get any buldging out of them when you air down? I bet you are noticing a significant power loss with the 41" diameter? Post some more pics when you are getting them dirty!

·
Registered
'62 Swiss 404
145 Posts
Michelin recommends an 11 inch rim for these tires. Did you find some 11 inch rims to fit your 404, or did you use the stock 9 inch rims? Did the tire shop insist that you use tubes, if your rims did not meet the recommendation? Do these tires have a speed rating, and do they have a DOT number? I'm asking these questions because it appears that you have mounted agricultural tires which may not be legal on the road.

Michelin AG - Products - Tire Name
I was under the impression that the XMCL was road legal. At least I know my XM27 comes in a speed and non-speed rated version. I have the non-speed rated version, but even then it has a stamp on the sidewall "Approved for highway use in North America and Australia" :cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
those look great
how do they ride?
were did you locate them and how much each
thanks
lou
They seem to ride just fine so far. I've only run them a few km though.
On a full lock turn on pavement you can feel the cleats but straight ahead is very smooth.

I ordered them in at the tire shop. It took all of 3 days for them to arrive.
$645 ea. installed.

Including 4 new brass valve stems and tax it was just shy of $3000 for the set.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Michelin recommends an 11 inch rim for these tires. Did you find some 11 inch rims to fit your 404, or did you use the stock 9 inch rims?
Stock 9 inch rims.

Did the tire shop insist that you use tubes, if your rims did not meet the recommendation?
No tubes, no problem.

Do these tires have a speed rating, and do they have a DOT number? I'm asking these questions because it appears that you have mounted agricultural tires which may not be legal on the road.
Michelins specs don't go past 25mph but that is with a considerable load.

No DOT number that I can find on the side wall, but there are some numbers here and there that I do not know the meaning of.

They are 'high speed ag tires'. I feel that if a farmer can run his tractor down the road with a wobbly old trailer full of hay with impunity I should be ok in my 3000kg Mog on these tires.

My tire guy felt that they would be fine at the top speed of my Mog with any load the Mog could carry so I believe I won't be a safety hazard or anything.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How stiff are they? Are you able to get any buldging out of them when you air down?
So far I've only had 35 PSI in them. I could see a little bit of sidewall flex when playing in the yard so they likely will flex ok at lower pressure. Plus the narrower than recommended rim may help resist debeading at lower pressure.

I bet you are noticing a significant power loss with the 41" diameter?
The jury is still out on that one, I haven't driven it enough yet. We'll see.

Post some more pics when you are getting them dirty!
You know it!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find that the BFG 37x12.50R20 km2 goes for $2899np ($276 US dollars) at Costco here in Baja... any opinions on that tire?
I've always been very satisfied with BFG All Terrain and Mud Terrains on my pickups. Good all 'round performance and very tough sidewalls.

I can't see why the KM2's wouldn't be worth trying on a MOG. I considered it myself.

If you do try them let us now how they work.

·
Registered
404.1 ragtop Doka
324 Posts
those are awesome XMCL radials! :thumbsup:

I will be making a couple 500 mile highway commutes a year from below Sea Level to Mile High so I think the 37x12.50R20 BFG KM2 is the choice for me

some day I do plan to run with you big dogs... :bowdown:

·
Registered
78 Posts
those are nice tires but at 3g's thats alot of cake. i just put on a set of irok 39.5's it cost me 1100 after tax. the concern i had with the michelins was if they dont have a D.O.T. and you're rollin down the highway and crash into a busload of nuns insurance may not pay for it. yes tractors drive on the road with hem but tractors have farm plates and usually dont get past 50km/h

·
Registered
404.1 ragtop Doka
324 Posts
got my set of km2's at Costco last week... darn they ride smooth and quiet!
did a bit of rock wheeling over the weekend, they grip very well, way better than the MIL SPEC that came on it.
I am quite pleased here for less than $1500 for a set of 5... Viva La Mexico!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I thought I might bring this thread back alive. Twotone now that you have had some driving time on these tires, I would like to know your current impressions. I was originally going to go with the AG tires myself, but due to price, availability (xm-27) and the fact I was going to be doing a lot of my wheeling in the Rockies and wanted a tire that would flex more with the ability to air down, I went with the Super Swamper Iroks 39.5x13.5x20. It turns out I spend a lot more time in the mud and snow then on the rocks. I also learned the hard way, after blowing countless beads, that the advantage of being able to air down the Iroks is lost when mounting them on the stock rims. Needless to say I am considering switching to xmcl's, so I would like to hear your thoughts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
XMCL's on a 404:

I thought I might bring this thread back alive. Twotone now that you have had some driving time on these tires, I would like to know your current impressions.....
Hey minimog 401, good to hear from you.

My overall impression of these tires is that they are excellent.

Steering: Fine, entirely manageable with the manual steering. Driving with these tires on the road is very stable and predictable, no nasty traits at all, even in a 4 wheel drift on a gravel road (I won't call it a powerslide...)

Size (340/80R20): This is max for the stock 404. The tires will just rub the underside of the front fenders at full articulation and will also just rub the shocks a bit at full lock. This is not severe at all though and rarely happens at all. It's just enough to mark the paint. The rears make little or no contact. This is also max power wise. If I'm aired down, 6th gear is not guaranteed. If I'm at 40 psi, top gear is no problem unless there's a head wind or the slightest of grades ( I'm thinking of naming it 'Hill Finder'). On level ground with 40 psi and no wind and warmed up gear oil I have no trouble maintaining 85 - 90 kmh (GPS) which shows as 65 on the speedo. The brakes are not overwhelmed at all with this size, at least with light loads. Stopping power a-plenty. The next tire size down would still be a great choice I think.

Ride: Ride is smooth and softer than with the previous Conti MPT MIL radials. During full lock turns on pavement you can feel the individual cleats hitting the road but other than that you would never know that you're running AG tires. Ride is stiff at 40 psi, but is fluffier than my Duramax at 20 ish. Everybody comments on the ride quality when they go for the first drive in the thing.

Traction: Mud and Soft ground: Almost as perfect as a tire could be. If the truck isn't bottoming out then it's going on through. Places that were challenging with the old tires are now 'non-events'.
Hard ground / pavement: Definitely no worse than with the Conti's. Hard to say if it's much better either because traction in this department just hasn't been pushed.
Snow: At 40 psi on hardpacked snow these tires aren't great, especially if there's no weight on the truck. The Conti's were better. At lower pressure, say 20 or lower, there is a marked improvement but they aren't any better than the Conti's were. In deep snow there is no comparison at all, the Ag tires have something to grab now and they work very well.

Airing down makes a huge difference, especially in snow. I usually air down in soft ground too but a few times I didn't bother and traction was just as good. I'm sure it would make a big difference at the limit however.

I now run aired down at 17 psi front and 15 rear. This produces a noticable bulge and allows the tire to flex but I still wouldn't call it a flexy tire, after all it's designed for a much heavier load than this.

I've had zero trouble running at these pressures so far, no debeads or rim leaks. I've been in what I'd call some fairly extreme terrain too.

So far no damage to any of the tires either, after running over lots of sharp boulders in areas of outcrop.

These tires increase the capability of the truck by a very large amount.

It's been questioned whether these tires are legal for the road. I still don't know and I don't really care. I feel they are perfectly safe and that's good enough. It passed MVI last Friday with yellow brakelights and these tires installed FWIW.

Ask away if you have more questions.

I still don't have any good offroading pics with these tires on. Will post when I do.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the thorough review but dam you for posting those pictures in the other thread and getting me excited, lol. Their is nothing like an AG tire to make a Unimog that much more impressive. :eek:

Just got back from Kirks Tire, $750 a piece plus tax and 2 weeks wait to bring them out of Montreal. I wish I had never turned the computer on today. I guess I should take a day or two to think about this one. I am also considering going with the 10.5R20 which measure 37.7" to avoid losing any power

For what its worth, the guy at Kirks said they are definitely not DOT approved.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Thanks for the thorough review but dam you for posting those pictures in the other thread and getting me excited, lol. Their is nothing like an AG tire to make a Unimog that much more impressive. :eek:

Just got back from Kirks Tire, $750 a piece plus tax and 2 weeks wait to bring them out of Montreal. I wish I had never turned the computer on today. I guess I should take a day or two to think about this one. I am also considering going with the 10.5R20 which measure 37.7" to avoid losing any power

Montreal, you said ?

Where's that place you called ?

I called so many places in the province and all didnt know what is a Michelin XM nor XZL.

Dont worry, its XM47's Im interested in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ouch! That's pricey! Any chance you could get them through the company you work for? They must get a good tire discount.

I'd really like to see somebody try a set of the 10.5's. I'll bet they'd work really well.

Re. Dot approved: are you worried about that? Do you have a yearly MVI in Alberta? I suppose you could always try it with the ag tires on and if they notice you could go back to the swampers just to get it passed.

If you can swing it I would go for it. The difference is something else!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Montreal, you said ?

Where's that place you called ?

I called so many places in the province and all didnt know what is a Michelin XM nor XZL.

Dont worry, its XM47's Im interested in.
The place I used is kirkstire.ca - Offline

As for the DOT approval I am not really worried about it either, my mog is licensed for the street but hardly gets any on road time. Their is no yearly inspection required here in Alberta.

Good idea using the company I work for. We are currently buying Michelin's exclusively and Kirks tire is are primary dealer. I will be looking into that tomorrow.

Yeah the 10.5R20's might not be a bad option. seeing as they are only about 11 inches wide, I could probably still use the stock tire chains. If nothing else I would be able to modify the length of one of my other sets, which I am unable to due with the wider 12.5R20's or my current 39.5x13.5R20 Iroks

Another thought with tires under 39 inches, the local mud bog event would have to quit putting me in the super modified class

1 - 20 of 23 Posts