Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a SLK for a fun car/almost daily driver, and from what I can find it seems that they have a ton of electrical issues. Is this true ?
What years are the best to look at ? Anything in particular I need to make sure has been done or checked ?
How are the generally on maint ?
Are there any other gremlins that abound with the SLK's ?
Thanks SO much !

John

·
Registered
83-300D
116 Posts
Welcome

First let me say I am very much a novice when it comes to cars but I think I know I which SLK's are better. I would suggest getting a 2001 or later and if possible a 320 or 32 instead of the 230. I have had good luck with maintenance so far and would defer this to question to someone else on the forum. I have had no electrical problems at all. Where do you live? Are you willing to buy out of state? Also you may even want to get a car still under Manufacturers Warranty so this means you need a car built after April '01 and lower mileage. So you are probably going to want to lean toward a 2002 and the 320 will run you about 30K with lower miles. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
I love the car, don't let my posts scare ya, if its going to happen, its going to happen to me. My last car was a BMW that went through 5 sets of brakes in a little over 4 months. My first set took 48 thousand miles to wear. They tried to say it was me, so my wife drove the car for a set, then I let the dealer use the car untill he smoked a set, ( took a week). No friend, don't worry about my posts. Next you'll be reading how lightning struck me.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
It is full of minor problems.

The engines are tight and thats the main thing.

Trans goes at 100 k
Brake lights, fuel sending unit, top stuck, whistling, hissing , popping noises, door panels, creaking top, leaking windows, dash peel, cup holder, seat heaters, and a hundred other problems.

Keep it under warranty or learn to work on cars.

Neither of the above, you better have a high paying job to pay the mechanic fees.

It is a great car if you can afford it out of lease or warranty.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
No friend, don't worry about my posts. Next you'll be reading how lightning struck me.
Or how you tripped and fell into a volcano, right next to Deathy..... [:D] [:D] [B)] [:p]
Just kidding ............ !

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Hey I made it to hawaii and back without an issue. ha ha

I did however call my local dealer for the post author they have a 99 slk230 man trans 32k miles

they want $20,000 for it. 100,000 mile coverage

Shumacher Mercedes Benz in North Scottsdale. Talk to Michael Brignac tell em Brian sent ya.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are most problems I encounter gonna be covered under warranty ?

How well do these cars hold value ?

Also I have a 85 red/tan ferrari 308 QV for sell if anyones interested.

I wanna sell it and replace with a SLK, I think.

·
Registered
586 Posts
John,
Welcome to the Forum. Where are you located? It helps if you put your city/state/country, as members in your general area can sometimes be of great local knowledge (good vs. bad dealers/shops, parts availability, buying/selling/trading, etc.).
-HarleyB

BTW, we've had our '01 since 6/00 with no problems. I don't know if the 6-speed manual or the NA V6 has anything to do with it. Then again maybe it's our weather in AZ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts