Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always loved Borbet Type A's, though I've never come accross them in a Mercedes fitment (bigger than 16"), so I had some made and shipped over from a friend in Europe. 17x10 et20 and 17x8.5 et13, filled and re-drilled to 5x112. They obviously need a refinish, but that's what I do for fun, so no worries.

Here's a pic to show the wheel off, but ill add more as I start working on getting these back into pristine shape. Oh man, I'm excited about these! Cheers.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
...and what's gonna happen to those uber-sexy AMG 3-piece rims you have now? I hear you on the way the Borbets look, but IMHO they can't hold a candle to those AMGs- especially the way you have set them up!

·
Registered
1990 560SEL, Optimus Black Pearl baby !
554 Posts
I've always liked the type a as well. The 3 piece may be the holy grail but I have preffered the uninterrupted fat lip on the type a.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I can't wait to see how they look on the car. As for the AMG's, I love em on the w126, but as of lately there is a surplus of people with them as well. I like to be different too much. So the AMG's will go in my stock pile to wait for a future build I have in mind.

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
My mechanic has Type A staggered on his W116, seriously hot.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Borbet wheels FTW !!!

Great looking wheels !!!

I like Borbets a lot.

When I was married I chose a set of Borbet type E's for my wife's 1991 charcoal Volvo 740 sedan.

They looked very spiffy, those type E's, on that car, even though they suffered some of the inevitable San francisco curb rash over the years.

The wife, Volvo and the Borbets have been gone now, more than five years.

I do miss the Volvo and those Borbets, I admit.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,340 Posts
just curious, how does someone make u custom wheels but they come unfinished,? isnt that part of the process in making a wheel

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
new and improved, the 2010 AMG/OZ...
Those are pure sex, and that was also my intention to make for the W126 since im already running 25mm spacers in the rear, I knew I had some room to expand...but then I wanted to go with a different wheel all together. Man those are hot though. I plan on keeping the AMG's forever, so maybe in a few years Ill make my own perfect sizes out of them. Id love to have 9.5 front and 11 rears if I go that route.

My mechanic has Type A staggered on his W116, seriously hot.
What size is he running? Ive never seen a set of 17's on a Benz, though I have seen 16's and those look great.

just curious, how does someone make u custom wheels but they come unfinished,? isnt that part of the process in making a wheel

Made in my bolt pattern from the origional BMW bolt pattern that they were 'born' with. I had the option of a polished lip or full wheel polish or paint or polish and paint for extra cash, but I wanted to refinish them myself, put my own elbow grease into whatever I could. I dont have the equipment to fill and re-drill bolt holes.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great looking wheels !!!

I like Borbets a lot.

When I was married I chose a set of Borbet type E's for my wife's 1991 charcoal Volvo 740 sedan.

They looked very spiffy, those type E's, on that car, even though they suffered some of the inevitable San francisco curb rash over the years.

The wife, Volvo and the Borbets have been gone now, more than five years.

I do miss the Volvo and those Borbets, I admit.

You really cant go wrong with any style Borbet, those type E's are a geat looking wheel as well. Im also partial to the type B. Such a simple old school design, in all the right ways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
17x8,5 ET 13 & 17x10 ET 14 on W126. Now they look different - black center with polished lip - but unfortunately I don't have any photo.

Badwayz - what are your plans for them? What color do you plan? :)

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
17x8,5 ET 13 & 17x10 ET 14 on W126. Now they look different - black center with polished lip - but unfortunately I don't have any photo.

Damn, there goes my hope of being the first one with this size on a Benz, ha. At least now I know theyll look great.

Im planning on going either color matched, off white, or oem silver, fully painted, no polish. Im keeping it simple.

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts

Czesc spychal...

Welcome to BenzWorld;)

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,075 Posts
The 17 inch are rare even here in Germany, but you can get them with 5 x 112 bolt pattern anyway. They are out there, but mostly you will find the 16".

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Witam Doktorze ;)

Thank you. I have registered a few months ago, but you have such a big knowledge that it is hard to post something new :)

BADWayz - I have some photos of W126 on 17' Borbets. I can PM them to you if you like. Maybe you will find some inspiration :)

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anyone that's interested in 16" Borbet type A's, they are still available:

Tunershop - Wheels - 16 inches - Borbet A - tuning - german wheels and tires - spacers - coilovers
To anyone considering replica wheels or modern looking wheels, please go this route instead. Old school look in the perfect offsets and a great german wheel.

Witam Doktorze ;)

Thank you. I have registered a few months ago, but you have such a big knowledge that it is hard to post something new :)

BADWayz - I have some photos of W126 on 17' Borbets. I can PM them to you if you like. Maybe you will find some inspiration :)
You can post them in this thread, id love to see them. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts