Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the new wheels and tires installed yesterday. I don't think the old original 15-hole ones had much paint left on them. They were pretty ugly. These are ASA 8-hole 16x7.5 with Bridgestone Turanza 225/55-16s. They came from Tire Rack of course and I got a set of 5 so I'd have a spare (good thing too since my spare turned out to be a more modern 15-hole with the wrong offset from a 124 or something). Center caps are silver to match the wheels with a chrome star, from Performance Products.

I've had good experiences with the Turanzas in the past and they feel great on the Benz. At first the ride was terrible, then I realized Tire Rack shipped them with 36-37 psi in each tire! Does anyone run with the 29 front/30 rear that MB recommends? I currently have them all set at 32.

Here are a couple of pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Very nice! I like the stock look, they are very clean and flat. I like it. Good stuff.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Looks great mike!! 32 should be Fine..I do tend to run a touch higher, esp. when doing a lot of highway/high speed driving, but that's another story;-)

Jonathan

·
Registered
130 Posts
Be careful with the recommended tire pressure...the factory is recommending the air pressure of the stock tire size. As you make changes, 15" to 16", lower profile or whatnot, you will have different parameters for the air pressure requirements. Follow the requirements of the TIRE.

Looks great.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Those look great! I wish my PO had gone for 16" rims rather than 15", they fill out the car that much better.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,255 Posts
Those look great! I wish my PO had gone for 16" rims rather than 15", they fill out the car that much better.
Looks great. Cascade has the same wheels from tirerack on his SEC.
I am partial to the Lorinser RS90 / AMG mono block look wheels. My 8 x 16's limit tire choices though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Car looks great, same color as my '90. Pressures of 32 all around, does that also apply to 15 inch tires? Does your car have pin stripes on the side by the door handles? I have been debating whether to add them since a repaint. Thanks

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Be careful with the recommended tire pressure...the factory is recommending the air pressure of the stock tire size. As you make changes, 15" to 16", lower profile or whatnot, you will have different parameters for the air pressure requirements. Follow the requirements of the TIRE.

Looks great.
I tend to use different pressure from front to rear like the label in the gas tank filler door recommends. I'd guess that MB knew their suspension geometry when they came up with the differential pressure recommendations. I've been playing with both cars that have identical tires sans size. The SD has 16" wheels and the SEL has 17". I don't drive the SEL much but the SD is my road warrior and get's about 450 miles a week, mainly highway. I run 32psi up front and 35psi in the rear of the SD and it seems to ride just a little firmer than 28/30psi and retains good handling for a four door sedan. I've found that I don't beat her as much in the turns since I've got the SEL. She now get's some rest and the AMG gives it up like the pro she is with a lot of satisfaction for me, even though she is a big girl :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Very nice. Almost the same as mine. Yours looks prettier somehow. I think it's the chrome emblem that really sets em off. I dig it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ohmygod! Where the hell have you been??
Took 6 months off to enjoy my hard work. I'm back now. With new ideas for the spring.

Thanks for the welcome. Nice to hear from ya Bruce.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Looks great. Cascade has the same wheels from tirerack on his SEC.
That's right. Mine also have the W220 center caps EXACTLY like yours.

I REALLY like the look of those. It took me months to decide on them and I got them in October. The ASA brand is a subsidiary of BBS wheels, made in Korea, for Tire Rack, and NO SPACERS are needed on them, they bolt right on.

Depending on who is asking, they MAY or MAY NOT have run to Los Angeles from Sacramento at 120-140 mph last October. LOL.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad to see you back! With Spring around the corner we could use a boost of your enthusiasm for the W126. Jim Alex

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Car looks great, same color as my '90. Pressures of 32 all around, does that also apply to 15 inch tires? Does your car have pin stripes on the side by the door handles? I have been debating whether to add them since a repaint. Thanks
My car does have a pinstripe right above the door handles, along the crease. I do not like it, but that 's just MHO.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's right. Mine also have the W220 center caps EXACTLY like yours.

I REALLY like the look of those. It took me months to decide on them and I got them in October. The ASA brand is a subsidiary of BBS wheels, made in Korea, for Tire Rack, and NO SPACERS are needed on them, they bolt right on.
Yeah, it took me many months to decide on these wheels. I wasn't sure I really liked the look of them on other cars, but it really sets off your SEC. Then I agonized over the center caps. Chrome star or the blue grill logo style? In the end, I couldn't be happier with both choices.

Where did your get your caps?

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Yeah, it took me many months to decide on these wheels. I wasn't sure I really liked the look of them on other cars, but it really sets off your SEC. Then I agonized over the center caps. Chrome star or the blue grill logo style? In the end, I couldn't be happier with both choices.

Where did your get your caps?
Feh, I got them off ebay. New OEM Mercedes Benz W220 ones, I think they cost about $26-$30 shipped right to the door. They are on ebay all the time, in many different original Mercedes benz OEM styles to choose from.

I liked the idea of the chromed star and ring. Suits it perfectly. It was an easy choice to make

1 - 18 of 18 Posts