Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just heard from the garage doing my V230 service...

Here's the list:
•New water pump - they recon it could go at any point!!! (huh? how can they tell?)
•New silencer - which is understandable as it's been blowing a bit...
•New pads and discs for the front - which I'll sort out

Does this sound like a car with just over 50k on the clock - the water pump is going to cost £171.70 from Mercedes (they can't get a no name one) PLUS 3 hours labour!!

So much for a simple service... :crybaby2:

·
Registered
V220 CDI 2003
848 Posts
AndyA. said:
I've just heard from the garage doing my V230 service...

Here's the list:
•New water pump - they recon it could go at any point!!! (huh? how can they tell?)
•New silencer - which is understandable as it's been blowing a bit...
•New pads and discs for the front - which I'll sort out

Does this sound like a car with just over 50k on the clock - the water pump is going to cost £171.70 from Mercedes (they can't get a no name one) PLUS 3 hours labour!!

So much for a simple service... :crybaby2:

Hmmm, If I was you then I would tell them to leave it (water pump) as its not a usual part to fail at that low mileage

Replace it WHEN it fails.

Also I would tell them to leave it WHILE YOUR at the garage, incase they decide to 'help the pump along to its death' .... it's been known to happen!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup!

I considered telling them 'thanks, but no thanks'. But we're off to France for a week's driving and camping next week and I don't really want to sit in a smelly village workshop listening to a bunch of old frogs going at it with a shifting spanner...
No offence to all mes amis out there!

So I'll go for the hole in my pocket, unfortunately...
Although looking forward to a quieter wagon! :thumbsup:

What's the average for a service (V reg. petrol V230, manual) - I called around and the lowest one was £225, anyone got a better price?

Cheers!

·
Registered
V220 CDI 2003
848 Posts
Sorry mate, I got a diesel so can't say.
Ask our friends, Punjabi or Smifster, on the forum they both got V230's

·
Registered
Bandwidth
3,256 Posts
There may be some wisdom in the "water-pump" change - I bought my V230 when it had done only 31K miles but was surprised to see on the service history paperwork that Merc had replaced the water pump at 27K, rather low mileage for water pump failure but maybe this is one weak component in this otherwise very robust, reliable motor (engine only!).
My SAAB has done over 150K and is still on the original water pump!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts