Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

W163 and General M Gremlin
khomer2, hard to say. My current tank cracked a few days days ago when I put a little hand pressure on it. Did not take much pressure and currently, I have Gorilla tape on it till the new one arrives. I would guess the outside of the tank takes the worst beating and with my new one, I am going to start applying 303 protectorant to the outside on a regular basis...that should help.....
Why not some other aerosol clear rubber seal coating like flexcoat or similar?

edit:
Our oem mats for the minivan have a spongy foam underside that deteriorates over time and flakes off. I used a cordless drill with a brass or ss wire cup brush to remove the stuff and then applied black flexcoat over the entire backside area of the floor mat. Still holds up today with no wear tear on the underside. Topside of the oem is good still (because we still keep our all weather rubber mats on top of it all year round)

Premium Member
1999 ML430 and 2003 ML55
Discussion Starter #22
Feel free to try anything that you have had good success with.....I use 303 on all sorts of plastics and it is my go-to for many plastic and rubber parts....
What do you currently flexcoat on.....never heard of it but i like the name !!

Feel free to try anything that you have had good success with.....I use 303 on all sorts of plastics and it is my go-to for many plastic and rubber parts....
What do you currently flexcoat on.....never heard of it but i like the name !!
Sorry, flexseal.

Registered
1998 ML320
Khomer:

Theyre made with the wrong kind of plastic for high temp resistance.

Looks like blow molded HDPE or LDPE but should be PETE or PVC probably ABS would be best.-

I'm no plastics expert BUT clearly the current one isnt enough in hot climates.

Isnt Germany a cool Northern Clime like Canada ?

So maybe thats part of the picture ?

Not enough German MB engineers live in Alabama year round ?

Or drive 10+ year old MLs to know...

David
Wasn鈥檛 the M-class engineered in the US with this market in mind?

Missouri can swing from brutally hot and humid to fairly cold, and it looks like the washer tanks have held up OK around here, judging by my 鈥98 and various junkyard carcasses.

Registered
96 S420, 00 ML55
Local junkyard got a ml in and I saw the tank was still white, not yellowed like most. I rubbed my thumb across the top of it and it left a line of cracks behind it! A few weeks later another showed up missing some external and trim parts, but I went to look anyway. Somebody had been working on this one before giving up. Under the hood were all new hoses, still with their oem part# labels AND and new reservoir with labels attached. Squeeze, poke, it was still nice and flexible. I took that one home and somehow even remembered to install it when I had to replace a leaking radiator and had the front end off anyway. I hope I get a year or two out of it.

Mike in ABQ

Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
Khomer your payback for having to shovel snow is NEVER having a cracked washer tank.

Hope you think its a fair shake...lol.

My tank MAY be original.

Only an Indy Shop or MB dealer in the Hot South or Southwest could say if they're capable to survive 20 years here.

The w210s isnt cracked nor is the 1997 Ram or 1986 Samurai (!) so its a unique set of factors at work on w163s !

Of late I checked ABS Pump module below tank & saw NO evidence of leakage. But I'm keeping level at 1/2 way as cracks are worse at Top of tank than bottom.

David

Registered
Mike in ABQ (Albuquerque, yes ?)

When you referenced moving AC Condenser did you mean just loosening its mount bolts to make removal space ?

Thx - David

Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
So out of curiosity, do the tanks fail from the inside or the from the outside? Primarily due to the heat issues? common in your region?
I reckon it鈥檚 not external heat - and they deteriorate from the inside. Mine failed across the top, and the fender side was equally as brittle as the engine side exposed to the radiator and exhaust manifold. The top section disintegrates while the bottom remains intact.

My hypothesis is that water vapour and ionic surfactants attack the plastic polymers. The immersed lower section remains unaffected.

Doesn鈥檛 mean much except these tanks will fail with age and require replacement.

Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
I reckon it鈥檚 not external heat - and they deteriorate from the inside. Mine failed across the top, and the fender side was equally as brittle as the engine side exposed to the radiator and exhaust manifold. The top section disintegrates while the bottom remains intact.

My hypothesis is that water vapour and ionic surfactants attack the plastic polymers. The immersed lower section remains unaffected.

Doesn鈥檛 mean much except these tanks will fail with age and require replacement.
You鈥檝e put a lot of thought into that DrX, and you guys aren鈥檛 even in lockdown up there.

Premium Member
1999 ML430 and 2003 ML55
Discussion Starter #30
Local junkyard got a ml in and I saw the tank was still white, not yellowed like most. I rubbed my thumb across the top of it and it left a line of cracks behind it! A few weeks later another showed up missing some external and trim parts, but I went to look anyway. Somebody had been working on this one before giving up. Under the hood were all new hoses, still with their oem part# labels AND and new reservoir with labels attached. Squeeze, poke, it was still nice and flexible. I took that one home and somehow even remembered to install it when I had to replace a leaking radiator and had the front end off anyway. I hope I get a year or two out of it.

Mike in ABQ
Right place at the Right time !!

Registered
You鈥檝e put a lot of thought into that DrX, and you guys aren鈥檛 even in lockdown up there.
Yes he did.
Many of us are having a 'slow season' due to this baloney and its fallout:
My income is down 50% and I know 20+ out of work - but not a singe 'Covid Death' or even pervasive sickness anywhere - very odd, no ?

Truth be told - no need for lockdowns Matt, here or there.

Did you see the Finance minister in Victoria Australia who crunched the #s and told the truth about the BS "Non Pandemic" ?

He was asked to retract his statements by Higher Ups but declined to do so & resigned so he could speak Truth freely:

His name is Sanjeev Sabhlock & Sky News Austraila - Alan Jones did the report on Sept 16th.

"Australians must know the Truth - there is no pandemic"...

Pandemic defined:
kills 1-3 % worldwide

Spanish Flu killed 2.5 %, or 50 million of 1.8 Billion population (in 1918)

To be as bad today & qualify to be a 'Pandemic', we'd need 210 million dead, (as world population is 4x greater).

But what has Covid done ?
Not even 1 million worldwide yet just 0.9 million.
A modest Flu year actually.

So this is 210 times LESS deadly than the last "real" Pandemic of Spanish Flu 1918.

Thus it is NO pandemic - nor remotely close, even.

We've - Aussies & Americans (and much of the world) have been "played'" by lying elites yet again.

Lots of questions we should ve asking...some humor helps here.

Look up 'Awaken with JP' (comedian JP Sears) on Youtube for his uproriously funny "Blue Pill People" &
"What happens when you believe EVERYTHING the Media says...."

You know the hour in our Civilization is late when the only guys speaking the 'whole Truth' are the Court Jesters & mechanics under their cars or in the break room (so to speak...).

When the People lead, the Leaders will follow.

Be well my friends...

David

Reactions: mattml430

David,
It would be best to keep these discussions that are not w163 or similarly related in the off topic forum.

Registered
Khomer,

With all due Brotherly love & respect:

I didnt say an overt political word, who to vote for or which (if Any) party deserves your support - nor would I.

I just did urge that we all seek Truth wherever, and not blithely accept lies uncritically ("Mercedes are junk") or one sided perspectives (Scotty Kilmer).

With vast swaths of humanity now suffering under a scheme that is largely illusory - all except their job loss, family stress, suicides on the rise - those are VERY real - isn't it time for Truth to raise its voice ?

Our Pastor here is from Brisbane Austrailia & due to that we're maybe more informed than other Americans on the extreme Australian / NZ lockdowns.

So we've been praying now for weeks for Courageous Truth tellers to rise up against the forced Narrative.

I respect courage from whatever source and highly respect a man who would lose his High Paying & High Government position, to make sure others, perhaps many less priviledged than he, are more fully informed & don't suffer longer under false pretexts.

Such a man is a Hero in my book.

So when my Sky News Austraila feed brought us this "breath of Fresh Air Report" (thats crazy metaphorical) from Down Under - I was wanting to share the good news as widely as possible.

We cannot live without Truth - not well & not for long.

But yes I can begin a thread in the Off Topic forum for any who wish to follow this discussion further.

I didnt intend a "Thread Hijack"...lol

David in Texas

Reactions: khomer2

Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
It鈥檚 ridiculous this lockdown. I don鈥檛 doubt for a second that this is a very dangerous virus but we need to adapt and learn to live with changes to keep ourselves safe and well. But we also need to continue to live and work a semi normal life.

Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
I鈥檓 happy to discuss it here.

The lockdowns are overdoing our response.

HIV/AIDS was invented less than 40 years ago. Has claimed over 30 million lives, over 35 million (probably 40 million) infected. But we didn鈥檛 shut down the economy to try to control it. Maybe we could have chained up a few bathhouses, public toilets and nightclubs.

It鈥檚 not going away. We need to find a better way to live with it.

Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
Glad to see the some people are finely coming to their senses, The whipped up hysteria is tiresome to me.. Death, destruction, mayhem,.. has been with us since the beginning of time.. People need to get over it, move on with their lives..

Registered
Ml55 2002
I've recently fixed my washer tank. My one had a crack around the area where it bolts to the radiator support. This is quite common. It then drips down and affects your abs module like what I'm going through.

Mercedes in the UK wanted over 拢100. So I removed it, and used plastic resign glue. Took me 2 days to do multiple layers. I then used PTFE tape and LSX silicone around the 3 pump nosals and left them to dry over night.

When installed crack was sealed, and the 3 nosals are dry too... However I have another crach underneath lol. Typical. So once empty I will re use the glue on that crack.

Sbk

Registered
96 S420, 00 ML55
Sorry, David, I didnt see your question earlier.
Yes, ABQ is Albuquerque.
The AC line into the top of my condenser is what kept the big tank from fitting through that opening. Of course you cant just take that line off to get it out of the way, but if you remove the radiator support you can flex the radiator and condenser out of the way enough to slip the tank in. L35inColorado has a great youtube for replacing the big tank, but she removed the fusebox screws so she could move it back a bit and get it in from the top.I had the fan and radiator out anyway so flex forward on the conderser/dryer and slipped it in easy.

Mike in ABQ

PS I spent some time south of Ft Worth going to school and made it over to Jefferson one time. You around there?

Premium Member
Current (2002 ml320, 2002 ml500, 2005 ml500 sport 2006 bmw 525xi)
Living in AZ now. But remember it's dry hate :) With 100 days over 100F, is why Ford built a testing ground here. Batteries last 3 years, not much longer because of the same heat issue. Have no idea what the under the hood temps are, but you can keep a burrito nice and hot on the intake manifold.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts