Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz S500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking and reading for a few weeks but have a few questions that I have not found complete answers for, but first let me give you some background and what I have found before randomly throwing my questions out. I will also state this early, I am a car guy but my experience is from the Japanese market and currently don't know what I don't know to know what to search for or look for.

So I just got my 2002 S500 a few months ago from my mother who passed early this year. She bought it new in 2002 and has since only had about 40,000 miles on it. It was not her daily driver and over the last 8 years saw very little to no driving. I have been in the process of getting it back to what it should be. That even included using a ozone generator to kill the mold that had colonized the cabin. Being a car guy myself with multiple other expensive hobbies/addictions I was able to get bluetooth and iphone connectivity setup in it while keeping the D2B command system intact.

One of the things I have been familiarizing myself with has been the vacuum system for the locks and soft close and such. The reason for this was that I was noticing the rear passenger side door was not unlocking which was odd but then the rear drivers side started having the issue a weekish later and then the passenger side. So tonight I was playing/troubleshooting with the car, using the remote and internal lock button on the dash, and as I played I could hold the buttons down and they might or might not lock or unlock all doors. Tested with the car on to also make sure it was not a power issue but still seemed to be an issue. Eventually after 20 minutes it appears to stop responding. Now back when I first recognized the issue with the first door I started using the google box and looking at different forum posts, but wasn't till tonight that I really dug down and found this post PSE Pump that caused me to dig a little deeper into the pump burning out and came across people mentioning that there might be a leak at/in the pump that can cause it not pull a good vacuum and as it progresses cause the pump to fail completely. So my question is how can I tell the pump is going bad and or failed if it is still making noise like its working? Are there also leak points I need to investigate for it besides the lumbar bladders? Also any other good info I should know about this system or posts I should look at please tell me.

Another thing I have started to notice is that the airmatic pump seems to be kind of loud. it works and gets the car up and fills things up but seems to be kind of loud, as I can hear it in the cabin when the engine isn't running loud. Is this something I need to look at replacing?

And finally what are other things I should be paying attention to? What posts do you suggest I read? Are there any posts or issues that are critical but might not be obvious or apparent?

Thank you to everyone who reads and especially responds. I am eager to start a new collection of car knowledge that will inevitably cost me more time and money as I learn more and want more from this car.

Sincerely,
Jason

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,022 Posts
First, my condolences. My Dad left us in October of 2015, and I thus inherited his car much as you did your Mom's.

To answer your questions, there's a lot. I'd start with the "Sticky" posts at the top of the W220 forum. I read through that before I took on my first-ever W220 job, exchanging the transmission fluid on Dad's car. Next job was the entire front suspension on the wife's car, a.k.a. the project 2000 S500. The Sticky posts were very helpful there as well.

As for the mold, that sounds like water got into the interior via the infamous "clogged-up reed valve" problem. That's going to take some work to properly deal with. But it can be done. After all, it's your Mom's car.

You've got some reading to do. And as you do and try things out, we will help.

·
W220 Moderator
7,230 Posts
My condolences too :(

@cowboyt 's post tells you some great info (as ever) :)

Here's my contribution for now ....

PSE may be OK atm, but won't last long with air leaks, the trick is to label and carefully disconnect the Pipes and use a hand held Vacuum Pump to check each circuit for leaks.
The functions of each Pneumatic PSE Circuit are labelled on the PSE's plastic Casing where each pipe goes in, for example :-

FoR Rear Right Door
FoL Rear Left Door
BFT Front Left Door
FT Front Right Door
MKL Multi Contour Backrest (Lumbar Support Bladder all seats)
SK Rear Seat Head Restraints
HECK Boot/Trunk Catch Actuator and Handle Retractor
TD Fuel Filler Flap Lock

A loud Airmatic Compressor can often be attributed to worn rubbers and or broken springs on it's mountings causing noise / vibration, remove the Wheel and Plastic Wheelarch Liner
to get at it, also check the Inlet / Exhaust Hose, (it splits where you can't see it) that Hose goes from Compressor to the Filter which should be pushed into a grommet in the Chassis above the Compressor

HTH, now, please ................

Moderator Request ....

Welcome to Benzworld.
Please update your user CP info....

click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
go to Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make and model YEAR ---->
Add your Territorial Location ---->
click save

TIA :)

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,790 Posts
Dave wrote,
"check the Inlet / Exhaust Hose, (it splits where you can't see it) that Hose goes from Compressor to the Filter which should be pushed into a grommet in the Chassis above the Compressor"

Excellent advice, as always. I just wanted to add a random fact that I found interesting.

The description matched exactly the installation that I found on my first W220, a 2003 S430.

The system on my next W220, a 2003 S500, was slightly different. The filter on the S500 was held by a bracket that was mounted to the side of the radiator support, and had a boot with another hose that disappeared into a small cavern in the radiator support.

This installation was the same as I found when I had removed the complete system from a 2004 S500 in the You-Pull-It yard.

Minor difference, but interesting that the continuing improvement by Mercedes Benz goes to such lengths.

·
W220 Moderator
7,230 Posts
@wallyp

Thanks for letting me know that :)

I take it that was Pre and Post facelift cars ?

I'll remember that for future advice :)

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,790 Posts
"I take it that was Pre and Post facelift cars?"

No, that what was interesting. That was two different installations on three 2003 W220 cars. The S430 had the filter up in the chassis, the two S500's had it on the radiator.

·
W220 Moderator
7,230 Posts
Ooo err ;)

Maybe the two 2003 Cars with it on Radiator were fitted with the improved ones prior to facelift launch, perhaps after the 430 with early type, they ran out of the old parts so started on the new stuff, I'm just guessing, who knows ;)

IDK ;)

Reactions: Deplore

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz S500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks guys!
I definitely have some reading to do. I will have to get the trouble shooting worked into the weather and other project cars that are going on.

Thanks again and I will be sure to come back when I get stuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts