Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just bought myself a 1995 W202 C200 last month. The car is running fine but I am abit worried about sudden parts failure so could someone recommend me the necessary repair and parts replacement for this model. Car has clocked 210,000 km on the odometer

Also,my speedometer needle jumps up and down below speeds of 40 kph,anyway I can get that fixed?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Do you the car's service history?

Search the website for common problems.

Turn your radio down and always listen to your car.

Any changes mean a trip to the shop, or your garage.

·
Registered
C220 1996, C300 2010, E240 2005
56 Posts
Maintenance for 7+ years cars without maintenance history

I would do the following (DIY):
- Replace thermostat, coolant and pipes.
- Replace main belt
- replace brakes liquid (all of it, not only in the resovior).
- Use K44 to clean head, etc. (leave about 6 liter of fuel, put in 2 cans of K44), start car and leave it on for about 8 hours. put fan in front of the car to prevent from the car to turn on its fan all the time. Secure the car.
- check tires and including the spare.
- replace oil & filter and put MOA addetive
- replace air filter
- replace plugs
- check battary
- consider replacing the air-condition drier
- ensure there are tools in the car for replacing flat tire.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
- Use K44 to clean head, etc. (leave about 6 liter of fuel, put in 2 cans of K44), start car and leave it on for about 8 hours. put fan in front of the car to prevent from the car to turn on its fan all the time. Secure the car.
Sorry, but not on my car mate!!!!!!

Oberoi

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
I'm not knocking the product "dude", just the stupid advice to run (idling?) it for 8 hrs. Geez, why wouldn't you just drive the bloody thing???????

Oberoi

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,599 Posts
NEVER LEAVE A CAR IDLING FOR MORE THAN WHAT IS NORMAL IN TRAFFIC LET ALONE 8 HOURS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys.I could not find the official service record book for the car but the owner was kind enough to list down the things or parts he changed together with the invoice receipt.

Brake pads,spark plug,timing belt,radiator fan all have been changed recently not more than a year ago.

What I am worried is the water pump failing while I am travelling on the highway.Temperature looks normal for now.I have tested it at highway speed,temperature needle stays at slightly below half mark.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,599 Posts
don't start fiddling with parts before they start failing. you will see leaks, noise etc when they actually fail. now, ofcourse, if you are loaded then go ahead and change stuff unnecessarily or you could have just bought a newer car!

what's up with the jumping needle? does it rev up when it jumps?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
don't start fiddling with parts before they start failing. you will see leaks, noise etc when they actually fail. now, ofcourse, if you are loaded then go ahead and change stuff unnecessarily or you could have just bought a newer car!

what's up with the jumping needle? does it rev up when it jumps?
No,the speedometer needle only jumps(fluctuates) up and down at speeds below 40 kph irregardless whether the throttle is pressed or not.

·
Registered
C200 Classic 1997
110 Posts
Additives

Hi Scheinert. Agreed on all points except the additive.

I have, over decades, collected info about additives and the best summary I have heard was from a technician at Wearcheck, who are independent oil analysis experts.

They call engine oil additives "snake oil" because you never know when it is going to bite you! Modern engine oils are carefully formulated in the best labs worldwide. If you add an unknown substance, nobody can tell you how it is going to interact with the oil formulation that you are using.

The only really safe way to improve lubrication is to buy better oil. It's cheap at the price.

I would do the following (DIY):
- Replace thermostat, coolant and pipes.
- Replace main belt
- replace brakes liquid (all of it, not only in the resovior).
- check tires and including the spare.
- replace oil & filter and put MOA addetive
- replace air filter
- replace plugs
- check battary
- consider replacing the air-condition drier
- ensure there are tools in the car for replacing flat tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts