Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this gem up the other day, transported back to my childhood watching Jurassic park the lost world, fully original inside down to the Bose cassette player.

Took it on it’s maiden bimonthly trek to visit family cross county (600mile round trip) had a minor scare, the car lost power round a roundabout (low speed <20mph) managed to limp into a car park, it had a rumble whilst stationary in drive, persisted after putting in park and back into drive. Turned it off and on and all was fine again.

this happened again on the return leg this time at 50mph when accelerating and attempting an overtake, lost power, it did down shift but no increase in speed despite being on the accelerator. Pulled in to a lay-by and the rumble was back. Switched off and on and lt was fine again

Booked into a garage on thursday for diagnostics - I don’t have a scanner Any recommendations

no lights on the dash on any of these occasions,
Has full history
last engine service 5k ago
last gearbox service 8k ago

any ideas what I’d be looking to repair/spend to fix this, other than that a very tidy car and pleased with the purchase hoping to get many years use out of it

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is it normal for only the drivers door to unlock after a drive?
The car auto locks above 6mph but only opens the drivers door unlocks when I pull up and switch the engine off.

Radio appears to power off after a few hours driving, is this normal? Or some electrical gremlin?
Loathed to replace the original as it looks the part and is easy to use. Are there any good aftermarket double dins that are worth looking at for modernising or is this a can of worms best left unopened? Other than that happy to use my phone for sat nav etc it sits nicely in front of the cubby in front of the gearstick.

Any recommendations for Side steps to make it easier for my toddler to get in and out of?

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
725 Posts
The CPS (crank position sensor) failure can cause symptoms such as yours.. Misfires when warm,... If you shut down engine and let it cool off a tad.. runs fine... There are lots of videos on you-tube dealing with CPS replacement.. Look up,.. ML320 CPS.. Replacing CPS is the easiest and cheapest thing you can do for a fix... IF IT'S NOT A FIX.. then you move on to the more expensive components...

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,414 Posts
TBenz93,

Sounds like you wish to take this into an indie vs. DIY?

As for estimates, no idea, until you buy or borrow a scanner to see what codes are pending or saved.
You may not necessarily get a CEL in these instances, especially for a CPS issue.

Borrow a scanner and post any codes saved.

As for the other issues like the radio, etc, post on a separate thread is best.
There are lots of options for a replacement double din with your Bose system and a good DIY thread discussing this.
Recently performed an upgrade last year to replace the antiqued Bose system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Picked this gem up the other day, transported back to my childhood watching Jurassic park the lost world, fully original inside down to the Bose cassette player.
What stunning picture! Awesome. No technical advice from my side but I'm sure you'll solve it with expertise we have on board here. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
1999 ML320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your responses, I was thinking of taking to an indie due to time constraints but diy is something i would prefer unless it’s a bigger/ heavy lifting job

The CPS (crank position sensor) failure can cause symptoms such as yours.. Misfires when warm,... If you shut down engine and let it cool off a tad.. runs fine... There are lots of videos on you-tube dealing with CPS replacement.. Look up,.. ML320 CPS.. Replacing CPS is the easiest and cheapest thing you can do for a fix... IF IT'S NOT A FIX.. then you move on to the more expensive components...
Thanks Bobby, I’m sure It’s not a misfire engine sound is normal- I’m experiencing a loss of power and ability to accelerate/ or apply the power to the wheels (even with foot to the floor) as well as a rumble when brought to a stop until it’s taken out of drive and put into park. It does up/downshift. It’s just concerning when you go for an overtake and nothing happening

Recommendation for scanner.

43sqd Thanks for the link, I’ve found a mb star c3 system for a similar price, would this be a better option

What stunning picture! Awesome. No technical advice from my side but I'm sure you'll solve it with expertise we have on board here. Enjoy your car!
Thanks Sven took it yesterday whilst out exploring with the little one, just getting into hobby photography, forgot the camera so taken with my phone, love the car and only a few years before it becomes an historic vehicle in the uk

Cheers all

·
Registered
1999 ML320
123 Posts
Congrats on the car. Welcome to the family. I strongly suggest you spend some time on this forum and learn how to do most of the work on the car yourself. Learn from our mistakes. And the same way a certain gay car movie had a motto like "I live my life at a quarter mile at a time" you new motto in life from now on will be "whatever it takes to avoid taking the car to the stealership". Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,123 Posts
T Benz another scanner that has been recommended is the Foxwell in the states it is 159.00 they are sold in the UK. 127.05 L

·
Registered
1999 ML320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so it’s been a couple of weeks, here’s an update.

got a Benz star clone, worked for about 5 minutes so now in the process of a laptop rebuild and checking the electronic connections inside - bugger

as for the acceleration issues I was having, in the 5 minutes I had the clone running, it was throwing codes left and right but didn’t get chance to take note... may well be the clone wasn’t very healthy after it’s trip through the post

having been driving the car the issues were only showing under harder acceleration so I’ve dumped some cataclean through which has nearly solved the problem, will be giving another treatment or 2 to see if it gets solved completely. The cats are original so I guess 21 years of crud build up. Will be looking to replace them once the weather improves, living rural and cleaning up after storm Dennis- thankfully avoided the flooding but was cut off for a few days

waiting service parts in the mail, set of Bosch iridium sparks, new filters. Piece of mind that it’s been serviced myself
Gearbox service to follow. Unsure yet whether to replace the conductor plate and connector as matter of course - currently on 120k miles thoughts on this appreciated ??

started on a few minor upgrades, picked up a used steering wheel on fleabay as well as few minor trim upgrades to treat ‘rex’
Yes I named the car but hey it’s nice to finally settle on a car I like that’s practical for me and my son with the extra seating for family and friend outings

got a lift kit on the way and was wondering if there’s any build info for wading kits and breathers for diffs etc

·
Registered
1999 ML320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope you did Not purchase a multi tip plug, with 2 plugs per they cause confusion, simple is better here a lot of us just use Bosch 7422
Thanks for the heads up, I’ll change the order as won’t be shipped until Monday

1 - 12 of 12 Posts