Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I finally reached a point where I want to buy a Unimog. I would like to get some advice on what to look for? Problems to watch out for? I think I would like to find a 406 or a 421. I would prefer a closed cab. I'm probably going to use it for trails here in the sierras and just around town. So what is the best way to buy one? Thanks

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
If you have the extra several thousand dollars to bypass a 404 for a 406/416 then GO FOR IT. Otherwise a 404 will do for what you describe except you'll have to most likely make a hard top for it cause closed cabs are hard to come by. A boat shop that is struggling for income during the winter might take on the task of building you a fiberglass one? Maybe they would modify a fiberglass hardtop for a jeep orrr?

Off topic thought. Stop by at American Sports Acrobatics (19825 Seaborn Rd in Sonora). Say Hi to Ken and Patty for me (owners). Pass on my email. [email protected] I've called several times of the years but somehow they and I just can't seem to link up.

Good luck in your Mog search. I'm sure others will chime in with more ideas on what to look for etc.

Off topic thought- Stop by at American Sports Acrobatics (19825 Seaborn Rd in Sonora). Say Hi to Ken and Patty for me (owners). Pass on my email. [email protected] I've called several times of the years but somehow they and I just can't seem to link up. They are GREAT PEOPLE. (even though they are not Moggers LOL)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi and welcome to you John!

Well the quandry with a Mog is that when you decide to get one, most of us can't just run out to the nearest lot and get it. So the temptation is to buy unseen, saving time and travel costs, after all you can apply that savings to fix a few things. I did it this way, and will never do it again. The sellers idea of excellent may not be by normal sales standards, he might mean excellent for a 25 year old truck. My truck for example probably looked good to the previous owner, but the California importer that sold to him did some quick and dirty stuff ie. rather than stop water from coming in the doors from the outside he taped over rust holes on the interior doors and then painted it, trapping water in there.

Having been a Mog fan for so long you probably already know many of the details, if not, learn as much as you can first. Take your time, find a perfect candidate and then go see it even if it's in Germany. If you absolutely can not go see it then get an independant Mog mehanic to look it over and give you a report. I would also budget for unexpected repair.
This would might make the search longer, but unless you are looking for a cheap complete rebuild project, I would use time there, rather than in correcting things afterward .

Hopefully you can find one near.

Daniel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts