Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
R129 1991 500SL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to save a 1991 500SL that is in running condition but has a truly sketchy past. It was well stored but the last title and Carfax dates to October 2011. I'm mechanically inclined but mostly a detailer by trade. My current needs are a sticking turn signal (Left parek signal always on) and yes, I will be tackling the leaking top hydraulics. Then the cosmetics will be addressed. The "easy" projects are replacing the hood pull cable/lever and the center brake light. I also have a replacement hood pad and lots of decent interior trim parts. The seats and rear window will be done by locally by a friend. Wish me luck, and I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for letting me be apart of the the R129 community

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,384 Posts
I am trying to save a 1991 500SL that is in running condition but has a truly sketchy past. It was well stored but the last title and Carfax dates to October 2011. I'm mechanically inclined but mostly a detailer by trade. My current needs are a sticking turn signal (Left parek signal always on) and yes, I will be tackling the leaking top hydraulics. Then the cosmetics will be addressed. The "easy" projects are replacing the hood pull cable/lever and the center brake light. I also have a replacement hood pad and lots of decent interior trim parts. The seats and rear window will be done by locally by a friend. Wish me luck, and I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for letting me be apart of the the R129 community
Welcome.
The forum sections are grouped according to chassis. Please check the sticky on top of this welcome section to navigate the forum, search the archive, find your section, and fill out your profile with 1991 500SL, so its right next to every post of yours.

·
Registered
R129 1991 500SL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.
The forum sections are grouped according to chassis. Please check the sticky on top of this welcome section to navigate the forum, search the archive, find your section, and fill out your profile with 1991 500SL, so its right next to every post of yours.
Dear Teutone, I'm afraid I don't know what a "sticky" is but I shall try my best! TY!

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,384 Posts
Dear Teutone, I'm afraid I don't know what a "sticky" is but I shall try my best! TY!
Not to worry, I am an old fart who was dragged into the computer age by his son 25 years ago.

The first threads in a forum section are usually advice, 'how to' DIY's etc, and are 'stickied' to remain on top of a forum, and not move down like older threads do for newer ones.
The third forum you see in the benzworld forum index, is a 'Welcome.....' section, the first thread on top shows how to use all forum features, find the correct section for your car = R129, which includes all versions from 300 - 600SL, and how to complete your profile (with 1991 500SL). The forum archive contains a wealth of information accumulated over 2 decades, the sticky also shows how to search.
Or just click FIND YOUR FORUM SECTION, COMPLETE PROFILE, Navigate...

·
Registered
R129 1991 500SL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to worry, I am an old fart who was dragged into the computer age by his son 25 years ago.

The first threads in a forum section are usually advice, 'how to' DIY's etc, and are 'stickied' to remain on top of a forum, and not move down like older threads do for newer ones.
The third forum you see in the benzworld forum index, is a 'Welcome.....' section, the first thread on top shows how to use all forum features, find the correct section for your car = R129, which includes all versions from 300 - 600SL, and how to complete your profile (with 1991 500SL). The forum archive contains a wealth of information accumulated over 2 decades, the sticky also shows how to search.
Or just click FIND YOUR FORUM SECTION, COMPLETE PROFILE, Navigate...

I believe I've got it! Or a good start on it at best. Many thanks Teutone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts