Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks again Don for your input, Plenty of great Road Trips ahead of me here for sure, took the hardtop off in anticipation of our "Indian Summer" weather coming up. hope to at least break in those lost miles that the vehicle sat for 10+ years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was amazed at the miles and how one keeps this in their Garage for so long without enjoying it more, My gain I guess.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I was amazed at the miles and how one keeps this in their Garage for so long without enjoying it more, My gain I guess.
This is surprisingly common for these old 107s. They were expensive enough that fewer people owned them as primary transportation, mostly summer drivers or just for fun and snob appeal. I found a bunch of low mile garage queens before I bought my 1987, that was stowed away in an airport hanger by a retired pilot. Even so he kept all the service records and the dealer did all the right stuff, like the timing chain and subframe bushings.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cassette tapes are part of the fun! Think of it as a time machine. Roxanne by The Police was the first song to be played on my restored Becker cassette player, and then I purchased some retro Vans to go along with my '85 😎

·
Registered
23 Posts
Casette in Old MB

I still rock out to cassette's in my 1999 e320 wagon as well. Although I admit I did do the mod which add's a line in to the cassette deck, and allows me to play music from any phone or iPod with a headphone jack...

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
When I got my SL it had been crapped upon and some turd neon flashing Sony system installed to keep the really old school Cellular One carphone company. It was hideous, so it all had to come out. Did not work anyway.

The wrong becker went into the butchered hole the Sony came out of. When the local MBCA had a Preservation class judging event, many points were deducted for screwing up the audio selection. I might as well have tossed a Kmart 8-track in the hole. The speakers in a big box on the parcel shelf cost me the badge and certificate. It seems that the proper audio set up matters to valuation as well as collectability.

·
Registered
457 Posts
When I got my SL it had been crapped upon and some turd neon flashing Sony system installed to keep the really old school Cellular One carphone company. It was hideous, so it all had to come out. Did not work anyway.

The wrong becker went into the butchered hole the Sony came out of. When the local MBCA had a Preservation class judging event, many points were deducted for screwing up the audio selection. I might as well have tossed a Kmart 8-track in the hole. The speakers in a big box on the parcel shelf cost me the badge and certificate. It seems that the proper audio set up matters to valuation as well as collectability.
Back in the 80's a bunch of butchering was done in the name of high fidelity, and most of these cars has old-school cellular phone installations too... I had to clean up cellular wiring and antennas on a couple of SLs.

Certainly if you are taking your SL to judged shows you would want to keep things clean and original, but most of us just want modern conveniences and decent sound in our cars. Sliding a single DIN unit in the spot where the OEM Becker sits is easy-- and so is putting the Becker back if you ever want to do so... I have my old Becker's handy if a downstream owner ever wants to go back to OEM.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
16 Participants
donfenn
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing