Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this Forum for this Model 560SL 1988. Just purchased from original owner, breaking in after it sat for 10+years. Runs like a new car, after a trip to the Mechanic. original 30K miles looks like it was driven less than stored. Keeping as an weekender.. need to get used to cassett's again though! probably wont last long but trying to stay committed to that original flavor. we'll see how long that lasts. anyway great information that I have found thus far on this site. Invaluable asset to have. helped a lot with my other autos..

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Like yours, my '89 had only 26,000 miles when purchased 6+ years ago. It has just turned 32,000 on the odometer. Also, like yours, mine was driven by the original owner an average of approximately 1,000 miles per year according to thorough maintenance records.

Even so, as you begin to enjoy your new find, bear in mind that although your car may only have 30,000 miles, most of the mechanical parts, and much of the fluids, could be original and as old as 30 years. In addition, the car sat for 10 years, so there may be some surprises as you begin to drive the car more regularly.

Enjoy the new ride and, as Nobby mentioned, pics would be real nice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first thing i did was take it to my local MBZ mechanic who went thru it, changed all fluids, filters brand new tires that were put on it two years ago had to be tossed and I put new tires all the way around. AC unit was not blowing cold so fortunately was able to recharge the system with the old R12, surprising no leaks. its going to be a test locally for awhile to make sure all is functioning well and no huge hose explosions. I am pretty impressed with this Machine nice to have a Basic Classic after driving new SLC43, SLK55, S550's ... having more fun probably cause its new to me. was thinking of changing the Becker radio but keeping it for back to 100% stock, just want more music options, thinking about it, we will see i probably will keep the miles off it and just drive it enough to keep it working properly, only probably is my office is three blocks away!

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! It does look like it's in gorgeous condition.

Don't be afraid to take it out and drive it hard. These cars love that.

I'm surprised the personalized plate stayed with the car.

I saw this same Car in Town today, not sure how she sees out the rear Windows though.
I'm mildly surprised her car hasn't gotten torched.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
first thing i did was take it to my local MBZ mechanic who went thru it, changed all fluids, filters brand new tires that were put on it two years ago had to be tossed and I put new tires all the way around. AC unit was not blowing cold so fortunately was able to recharge the system with the old R12, surprising no leaks. its going to be a test locally for awhile to make sure all is functioning well and no huge hose explosions. I am pretty impressed with this Machine nice to have a Basic Classic after driving new SLC43, SLK55, S550's ... having more fun probably cause its new to me. was thinking of changing the Becker radio but keeping it for back to 100% stock, just want more music options, thinking about it, we will see i probably will keep the miles off it and just drive it enough to keep it working properly, only probably is my office is three blocks away!
Congrats on your beautiful 560SL. You may consider contacting Becker Auto Sound https://www.beckerautosound.com/ about options for your OEM Becker radio. They can install bluetooth capability and/or iPhone cable into the unit at a reasonable cost.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
going to check into this, great advise keeping it stock appearance as much as possible unless its behind the scene.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Totally surprised also, hopefully they don't torch the wrong Car! I have considered several banners for my Back Window all of which I cant parade around in public with though.

I scored on the Plates.. it is non operative for 10years or probably longer the tags on the plates were expired in December 1989? not sure how they did that? DMV surprises me all the time.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I'm mildly surprised her car hasn't gotten torched.
The sign does say to take the Alt route. Maybe she is already on it? :)

I was about to add something, but stopped myself. This forum is non-political, isn't it? Good thing too!

PS: Great looking car. Must be great to be able to find low mileage examples like that that are still somewhat affordable.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Congrats on the car... A great specimen, and your location is a great place to enjoy it.. Taking a cruise on a nice day along the 17 Mile Drive must be sublime.

I don't think there is anything wrong with pulling out the Becker and putting a modern radio in the car... Just hold onto the Becker for future reinstallation or heirloom needs.. At least that is what I have done with mine..

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with pulling out the Becker and putting a modern radio in the car...
Agree with that.

The 560SL is the youngest of 107s. 16 years younger than my 72. It will be a long time before anyone worries about originality of our radios. (I put a nice Sony in my car along with better speakers. Finding one that is not garish and that has simple controls takes some research! So perhaps an upgrade to Becker would be another option?

I think someone may have suggested it, but you can have Becker modified to accept aux input and in some case Bluetooth streaming.
They also have complete radio systems for the 107 that use original radios.
Nice car - enjoy it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think to agree with you it will be a long time before it is close to selling it for profit, I have looked at these threads with great interest, seems like the sky is the limit to what can be done along with your wallet to have the means. My history of keeping cars long enough to make my investments worth while are long gone... its almost a hobby but an expensive one at that. I am hoping that I will stay the course and enjoy this roadster for awhile. I think i am leaning towards the Continental German Replacement seems to have all updates that I am looking for and will probably work with my local guy on the Speakers situation, that part is just so overwhelming trying to determine which is the best for a small 4" diameter front replacement and how far one needs to go to actually benefit from the modifications to the rear for higher quality sound. I looked into the Becker options as well and almost feel its better to just replace than modify.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
16 Participants
donfenn
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing