Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just added a '92 600sel to my stable of cars. It's black on black with the grey lower panels (beautiful color combo IMO). Only has 34k miles on it since new! Anyway the car is giving me so much grief right now: the a/c rumbles, the water pump went out, the vacuum system that closes the doors needs work, needs new shocks, etc. I can say though that I am truly in love with the V-12. I drove two of my mothers V-8 W140s and found them very lacking in the power department… This car is the cure! :D Loads of power whenever you need it!

Anyway I will use the search dealio and see if anybody has asked this before, but I'll ask anyway:

Does anyone know where I can buy an AMG suspension, AMG bodykit, AMG steering wheel, and AMG Aero II wheels (18" or 19") for my car? I am basically trying to replicate the S73, including stroking and boring the engine out to 7.3L. I'll be going to Renntech as well as my engine tuner to see what they can do to help me get roughly 550hp and 575tq out of this car. If any of you have suggestions/know where I can find these parts it would be a great help!

Also: my a/c is making a very odd deep, rumbling noise when I turn the fan on high. It also makes a slight squeak/squeal at the medium and low fan settings. I have already replaced the heater blower motor but it did not fix it.

Also: I would like to upgrade my brakes… I was thinking about a 4-6 piston setup with rotors around 14-15"? Any ideas?

Cheers!
Ricky

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
You have a first-year issue of not only the first commercial V-12 MB produced, but you have it in a favorable color combination. Most '92 Black 600SEL's came with a butterscotch interior that has definitely not withstood the test of time. That's historically significant.

You're going to get a diverse set of opinions on your plans. Some, like me, will encourage you to return the car to 'as new'. Others will embrace your plans. Since I'm a fan of original, I don't see the sense in turning it into something it's not.

That said, welcome to the clan, buckle up, and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320 Cabrio
970 Posts
Who could say a V12 Benz is ever a bad purchase but be careful. I hope what you aspire to is backed up by a substantial check book. Otherwise, this car will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Either way, good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much! I did my research before i acquired it, and I am well aware of their problems. Money won't be an issue, I just hope to get it to a point where it will be a reasonably reliable car. I would imagine once I change enough of the parts it will be. I don't see any reason it would continuously break down/have issues/etc with enough of the original parts replaced.

Stryker: I also have half a mind to keep the car completely stock. I am debating all of the mods. Yes, I love the S73 but to have a stock 600sel with such low miles as mine is a rarity. Before I go buy a bunch of AMG parts I want to make sure I'll be able to go 100%. If I cannot make it an "exact" replica S73 (with some Renntech upgrades) I doubt I'll go that route at all. Instead, I would just keep the car in the factory configuration. I don't do anything half a$$ed. It bugs me when people take an S350 and instal an S63 bodykit and badge it as such. I would never be able to do that to my car. If anything, I would do the AMG bodykit, Aero II wheels, and suspension and label it as a 600sel AMG (a car that MB did sell [mostly in Europe and Japan though from the research I've done]).

--Ricky

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 600SEL. I'll try to address some of your questions. I've done no research myself, but whenever I've seen anyone ask about AMG body kits, no one has any answers. Seems like these were much more popular outside the US particularly in Japan. You may need to look for a Japanese source. You might PM "Haku" and "S666". They're in Japan and may know something. Used Aero II wheels are around (ebay, etc.). New ones may still be available from Mercedes.

Close assist system:
Repairing the Close Assist Pump in a W140 Mercedes

and more DIY stuff on v12uberalles.com.

About your AC noise... Where is the sound coming from? If it's from the blower area, then it's the blower. Something's rubbing or poorly lubricated. Not much more to say without more information.

As far as stock versus mod, whatever floats your boat. I don't think I'd let unmodified value creep into the equation, unless you want to leave it in the garage for 20 or 30 years. If you look at the S600's equivalent from 1969, the 300SEL 6.3, these are just now seeing good appreciation after 40 years (I've seen asking prices above $40,000.), but mostly for clean, original examples as is always the case. Driven cars needing a bit of work are asking only $10,000 to $20,000.

So, you've driven only 2 of your mother's W140's. How many does she have? LOL

Good luck with your AMG parts hunt. Could be a right pain in the ass to find what you're looking for.

Brett

·
Registered
Jaguar STR-sold,mercedes s500L-sold,c36 amg-sold,s500 coupe-sold,cl420-sold,s320-sold,s280-sold
541 Posts
Nice.Please keep us posted rgds your job progress.I'm all the way with your ideas.Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 600SEL. I'll try to address some of your questions. I've done no research myself, but whenever I've seen anyone ask about AMG body kits, no one has any answers. Seems like these were much more popular outside the US particularly in Japan. You may need to look for a Japanese source. You might PM "Haku" and "S666". They're in Japan and may know something. Used Aero II wheels are around (ebay, etc.). New ones may still be available from Mercedes.

Close assist system:
Repairing the Close Assist Pump in a W140 Mercedes

and more DIY stuff on v12uberalles.com.

About your AC noise... Where is the sound coming from? If it's from the blower area, then it's the blower. Something's rubbing or poorly lubricated. Not much more to say without more information.

As far as stock versus mod, whatever floats your boat. I don't think I'd let unmodified value creep into the equation, unless you want to leave it in the garage for 20 or 30 years. If you look at the S600's equivalent from 1969, the 300SEL 6.3, these are just now seeing good appreciation after 40 years (I've seen asking prices above $40,000.), but mostly for clean, original examples as is always the case. Driven cars needing a bit of work are asking only $10,000 to $20,000.

So, you've driven only 2 of your mother's W140's. How many does she have? LOL

Good luck with your AMG parts hunt. Could be a right pain in the ass to find what you're looking for.

Brett
Brett,

Thanks much! I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time, and finally joined :D

I have seen some pictures and videos of Haku's W140s, and needless to say they are quite impressive! I will definitely get in touch with him as well as S666.

V12uberalles.com has already been a great help (changed out my fan clutch as well as water pump by following the directions given). And thank you so much for the info on the pump! I am going to get to work on that right now. Staying up all night to get the car ready for pictures tomorrow. LOL!

I am not considering resale value at all. I plan on keeping this car for many, many years to come. When I'm done with this car it will be ready for the junkyard due to parts no longer being available or just too many miles. The W140 is my favorite Mercedes. Yes, I hate some of the maintenance issues and whatnot, but I feel it is the last true "German Mercedes" that MB made. But that's a whole discussion in itself and I'll spare you from starting in on that argument. So as for mods, it all depends on what I can find and how much this whole project is going to cost. I don't want to dump $100k into this car in mods alone. I could use that amount of money and use it towards an Italian sports car ;)

My mother actually has four W140s. She has a '92 500sel, a '93 600sel, a '96 S600 and a '98 S500. The '96 S600 is her daily driver, the '92 500sel is her winter car, the '98 is her backup car when the others are in the shop (it only has 40k miles), and the '93 I'm actually stripping out for parts b/c it was crashed by the previous owner, and despite having only 75k miles, is worth more in parts than as a whole at this point in its life. All of her cars are smoke silver over tan interiors (champagne over tan)… its the only color combo she likes no matter how much I try to persuade her to try another color when she buys her next W140. She's currently looking for another (couple?) of V-12's. Sounds crazy I know, but if you knew her and my father you'd completely understand.

Anyway, I'm going to go tackle the door pump and see what I can do as well as do some finishing detailing touches so I can post up some pictures tomorrow! :)

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice.Please keep us posted rgds your job progress.I'm all the way with your ideas.Good luck
Thanks much! I see your in the UK. Do you know where I can find a Euro instrument cluster (speedo in KMH instead of MPH)? I would like to buy a new one with 0 miles on the odometer, rather than one out of some car that was driven 200k km.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright well after working since yesterday morning until now, I have solved the water pump leak, and I have three doors that now auto close as well as the trunk. The front passenger door still wont suck shut. I do not know why though… I think I'll send it to the shop to have them check it out and deal with my a/c noise.

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
Brett,

My mother actually has four W140s. She has a '92 500sel, a '93 600sel, a '96 S600 and a '98 S500. The '96 S600 is her daily driver, the '92 500sel is her winter car, the '98 is her backup car when the others are in the shop (it only has 40k miles), and the '93 I'm actually stripping out for parts b/c it was crashed by the previous owner, and despite having only 75k miles, is worth more in parts than as a whole at this point in its life. All of her cars are smoke silver over tan interiors (champagne over tan)… its the only color combo she likes no matter how much I try to persuade her to try another color when she buys her next W140. She's currently looking for another (couple?) of V-12's. Sounds crazy I know, but if you knew her and my father you'd completely understand.
This sounds like the perfect family! Good luck with everything on your W140! Personally, I'd stay at least near stock... although Hakku's mods are first rate.

Keep up posted and enjoy!

:D

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts

Anyway, I'm going to go tackle the door pump and see what I can do as well as do some finishing detailing touches so I can post up some pictures tomorrow! :)
Do your parents want to adopt a 40 year old? LOL

Good luck with the passenger door. Does the pump run when you close the door? If not, then the pump is not getting a signal from the door, and there is possibly an issue with the microswitch in the door.

Glad the v12uberalles articles helped out.

Brett

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do your parents want to adopt a 40 year old? LOL

Good luck with the passenger door. Does the pump run when you close the door? If not, then the pump is not getting a signal from the door, and there is possibly an issue with the microswitch in the door.

Glad the v12uberalles articles helped out.

Brett
Haha next time I see them I'll ask them for you LOL. No it does not run. where is the microswitch? I bet that's what is causing this issue. Also, I don't know why but it appears somebody has already taken the non-working passenger door apart before :confused: --Hope its not something that is going to cause me grief in the future...

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Haha next time I see them I'll ask them for you LOL. No it does not run. where is the microswitch? I bet that's what is causing this issue. Also, I don't know why but it appears somebody has already taken the non-working passenger door apart before :confused: --Hope its not something that is going to cause me grief in the future...
Microswitch is in the latch. A few months ago, I communicated with a fellow who ended up replacing a latch microswitch to solve his non-functioning door problem. First case of a bad switch that I had personally heard of, so it does happen. I believe the switch was available from Mercedes as a separate part.

If someone has been in there before, then it could be anything. Maybe the switch just didn't get plugged back in.

Brett

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Microswitch is in the latch. A few months ago, I communicated with a fellow who ended up replacing a latch microswitch to solve his non-functioning door problem. First case of a bad switch that I had personally heard of, so it does happen. I believe the switch was available from Mercedes as a separate part.

If someone has been in there before, then it could be anything. Maybe the switch just didn't get plugged back in.

Brett
Thanks! I looked at one of the doors I pulled off the '93 600sel parts car and it looks like an "interesting" job... I think I'll have the mechanic do it. I'm sick of fighting with electrical stuff on this car for the moment. Is it easier than it looks?
Thanks!
Ricky

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I have no idea. I've been fortunate that I personally have not had to dig into my doors for a door latch (yet). Good luck,

Brett
The handle on one of my back doors was loose - it took my mechanic about half an hour to get in there fix it and put the door card back on. Can't be that much extra for the micro switch.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The handle on one of my back doors was loose - it took my mechanic about half an hour to get in there fix it and put the door card back on. Can't be that much extra for the micro switch.
Oiy :( If it took your mechanic that long, I think I'll let mine go to war against my micro switch. :p

Thanks!
Ricky

Also, on a bit of a side-note, I bought the AMG Aero II wheels I had been looking for, and they will be here shortly after new years!

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Also, on a bit of a side-note, I bought the AMG Aero II wheels I had been looking for, and they will be here shortly after new years!
OK... With that kind of teaser, I trust you'll be providing more info like new/used and source? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

Brett

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a link to the pictures I've taken of the car--don't know if the link will work or not: Flickr: rickyw90 Just go to my photostream that's where the pictures are.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts