Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1993 400E
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The W124 has always impressed me, so when seeking out a practical German sedan to put to work, it immediately came to mind. We picked up this car for just $1500 from a friend who had bought it a few months ago from the original owner who lovingly maintained it for 24 years. It is a 1987 260E. I would have rather had a 300E in a more modern color combination, but for the condition and price, I couldn't pass it up.

The records on this car are nothing short of amazing for a vehicle this old. It even included the the new vehicle inspection form, every service receipt including break-in at 1092 miles, as well as every registration card since 1987 (including the temporary new car one!) The previous owner was obviously meticulous. The air conditioning works better than any car I have ever owned.

Oddly, the only other Mercedes cars I have owned were also 87s - a 420SEL, and a 190E 2.3. I am more of a BMW guy usually (we also have an 840Ci and a supercharged 330Xi) but the timeless quality and durability of a classic Mercedes-Benz is always a pleasure.

Now for a few pics:

Original windshield!

Tight seat-back nets...

24 years of service records for every little thing. Of course the owners manual, Becker Grand Prix radio manual, and service booklet are in the car as well.

Overall...An amazing little car that narrowly escaped being dumped at a wholesale auction.

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
16,455 Posts
Great find. How many k? Pics look like you just drove it out of the showroom. If looked after it's examples like this that will be seen in another 20 years time at vintage MB rallies. There are few enough 260's left now.

Well done.

·
Registered
1993 400E
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great find. How many k? Pics look like you just drove it out of the showroom. If looked after it's examples like this that will be seen in another 20 years time at vintage MB rallies. There are few enough 260's left now.

Well done.

Thank you! It has 136,100 miles, so around 219,000km...

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,650 Posts
Very well done there Olin. Welcome and good luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,969 Posts
Looks to be in very good condition.. Take care of the car...

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Nothing wrong with "diamond blue." a great color if you ask me.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
5,432 Posts
Something interesting....You are telescopic wheel and electric seats which my 87 260E does not have!

I'm jealous! Great find!

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,186 Posts
Stunning condition, beautiful car! Gives us hope that there are cars like this still lurking somewhere.:D

This is how a LOT of older people used to take care of their precious 124 MB's. But unfortunately, many of those folks have died and the cars were sold to whomever. At least in my case, I'm going to wear mine out first and/or wreck it.:rolleyes:

Kevin

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
I've tried a few times to pick up a car w that color. Classy, I think. And you can playfully modernize the look with a few of the common upgrades you'll see all over these boards.

·
Registered
1993 400E
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is how a LOT of older people used to take care of their precious 124 MB's. But unfortunately, many of those folks have died and the cars were sold to whomever.
Not surprisingly, this car was owned by an older man. According to the records, he paid cash for it new in 1987. The car was nearly sold to "whomever" when it was sold to CarMax just a few months ago. An enthusiast friend who works there as a buyer saved this car from being sold off at a wholesale auction. He did not really need it, so he was just its "foster home" until someone like me could take it. He was nice enough to replace some of the vacuum lines and put a brand new set of Continental tires on it though.

The only pressing issues that I would like to address with the car right now is a leaky oil filler cap, and a funky idle. One recent record shows recommendation to replace the idle control valve due to "internal malfunction," but I was going to try and clean it out first and see what happens. The new ones are more expensive than I thought.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,969 Posts
Something interesting....You are telescopic wheel and electric seats which my 87 260E does not have!

I'm jealous! Great find!
My 260E didn't have those options too.
The 88 300e had them tho power seats & telescopic wheel... You need them?

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Not surprisingly, this car was owned by an older man. According to the records, he paid cash for it new in 1987. The car was nearly sold to "whomever" when it was sold to CarMax just a few months ago. An enthusiast friend who works there as a buyer saved this car from being sold off at a wholesale auction. He did not really need it, so he was just its "foster home" until someone like me could take it. He was nice enough to replace some of the vacuum lines and put a brand new set of Continental tires on it though.

The only pressing issues that I would like to address with the car right now is a leaky oil filler cap, and a funky idle. One recent record shows recommendation to replace the idle control valve due to "internal malfunction," but I was going to try and clean it out first and see what happens. The new ones are more expensive than I thought.
could also be the over voltage protection relay. search "OVP."

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
5,432 Posts
Since you have all the history for the car, scroll through, if you don't see OVP at all, or in the last, let's say...80k miles. Replace it. It needs no introduction if you do a quick search.

If you have the ABS light on too, bingo!

Glad to hear you will be cleaning the ICV. It can get bugged up from dirt entering past the filter for the last 20 years. Just shoot carb cleaner and watch dirt fly out. You can also use a 12V battery and listen for a "click" when applied to the terminals. That'll tell you if the valve moves or not.

·
Registered
1993 400E
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, with new tires!

My friend told me that the original owner had died, so his kids had just brought it to CarMax for the quick cash, and he never planned to keep it, but could not bear to see it go to auction.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
dear god i wish i lived in a warm weather state!!! You just can't find pristine examples like that for under $4k up here. awesome find and good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts