Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the fourm i am looking at buying a 300d. I really want a fun cheap daily and i really want to run it on veg. So I think i hade found me a winner but i am a little nervous. Because i know you can buy one and it can become a money pit. This is what i found.

1985 Mercedes 300D Sedan Diesel

So after looking at the car and test driving it .
ITS A 300D with a 240D motor and trans with vegs setup.
No antenna " i know that could cost around 100-200 for the universal one.
rear passanger power window doesnt work"80 bucks"
rust under passenger back seat floor board not horrible but it needs to be cut out before it spreads.
driver side rear 1/4 pannle underbody 4 inch strip of rust. .
leak" i believe its oil between engine and trans. rear main seal?
also after market headunit is finnikey should i check if its hard wired? could this be really bad like in vw ? let me know what you all think. I have already got him to lower the price to 2100 i think 1700-1800 is fair . let me know if i should buy or pass thanks !

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
If you know how to work on cars that is a plus. If you plan on taking it to a mechanic, it will cost you.

·
Registered
5 Speed "85" Euro TD , 5 speed "85" Euro 240D, "79" 5 spd 240D, 5 spd "94" Dodge/Cummins PU
664 Posts
Looks like a nice car but X2 on the DIY. If you have to pay someone to work on this car for something like an antenna you had best forget it no matter how cheap it is, especially with a rust issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on doing most of the work only think i might take it in for is that leak but i am sure my buddy who was a mechanic could help me out. Also do i need to buy some special tools for this gem. i know mercedes hace some fancy tools or is that the newer ones .

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Go for it but remember there's no such thing as a cheap Mercedes.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
The rust under the back seat is probably a result of a problem under the battery tray.

Most regular metric tools will be fine.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
If you can work on them yourself and know what you're doing it's a lot cheaper. The dealer charged $150.00 an hour to work on the E300 to tell us we had a bad head gasket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts