Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this amazing car a couple days ago. Gen2 560SEC RUF300HP euro 1990. Beautiful car and now with 58k original miles I will take it to the next level. Inspired by KRH I have some work to do. This was on BaT about a year ago. Here is the link https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-mercedes-benz-560sec-16/ It will be for sale when my work is done.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,432 Posts
What a beautiful thing. I've always liked this colour. The wood is especially gorgeous too.
I always wonder how it's possible to find low mileage examples of any of these cars, let alone one of this particular model. The mileage is often high because they're so nice to drive.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,035 Posts
What a great catch that car is now, and promises to be in the future!

Ticks all the boxes, doesn't it though?

"The mileage is often high because they're so nice to drive." You are so right Ian.. I'd be driving it all the time [with my radar receiver on the dash].. :cool:

M

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,216 Posts
Gee what a rare find over your way and what appears excellent condition and real nice colour combo.
Interior also looks in superb preserved condtion which is also pretty rare these days.
It reminds me of a good friend of mine who i helped secure a very same or similar colour 300hp coupe but his interior is a super rare dark green/almost black that i have never seen before in lieu of the more tradional interior colour trim (see pics below).

As usual i can imagine once you have completed a full makeover it will present like brand new
I will assume it comes with the full package 3.65LSD diff ratio etc and be a real experience to drive

Attachments

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,015 Posts
Looking forward to the end result!

Sure has come a long way since I posted about it 3-4 years ago for $8k in SF Bay Area craigslist, I think you're the 4th owner since.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,094 Posts
so did u buy it from the winner on Bat?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the kind words. I bought it from BaT buyer indirectly (long story as I had no idea the car was now located in the Seattle area). He evidently spent some money during the last year by adding CoCo mats, had the metal bits replaced on the inside of the doors where the seat switches are located, I think the headliner was replaced as well. Making a list of what's necessary to take it to the next level. A lot of common items have been corrected by previous owners in the last few years so most of my work will be cosmetic and replacing rubber bits as a few are dried up due to age etc. One of the first items is correcting the condition of the rear hat shelf along with getting a proper head unit installed. Will remove the EZL and refresh the thermal compound with modern superconductor type. Leaning towards the new Blaupunkt period correct head unit. It is pricey but proper. https://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/products/car-multimedia/car-radio/products/single/19059/ The back-lit color can be changed to suite the install. Need to find a good spot in my shop which involves moving some cars around. Will pick up the SEC tomorrow morning for a long drive before parking it in-doors. This one may be hard to let go. Time will tell. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Yasin, it is obvious that MB at that time produced different cars for different markets. This car although a late Gen2 has a glove box, no coin tray under the dash and no door speakers like the US cars. Another difference is the vin # is stamped into the body panels instead of the white/grey stickers. Spent a couple hours with the car yesterday and aside of the cosmetic items the coupe runs, drives, steers and stops as it should. Over the years I have developed a comprehensive list of 50+ items for these coupes to check/test. As I am currently finishing up a restoration of a beautiful 84 w123 300TD this car will be on hold until the first of the year. I really like the way KRH had the front seats slightly overstuffed on his coupe that keeps originality but adds comfort for both the driver/passenger. May replace the front hides if I choose that direction.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
435 Posts
Looks like a dream come true Mike! Is the lower cladding satin, or the Euro option of same sheen as body color?

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
435 Posts
Gee what a rare find over your way and what appears excellent condition and real nice colour combo.
Interior also looks in superb preserved condtion which is also pretty rare these days.
It reminds me of a good friend of mine who i helped secure a very same or similar colour 300hp coupe but his interior is a super rare dark green/almost black that i have never seen before in lieu of the more tradional interior colour trim (see pics below).

As usual i can imagine once you have completed a full makeover it will present like brand new
I will assume it comes with the full package 3.65LSD diff ratio etc and be a real experience to drive
Kim, did you see the interior color code? I wonder if they considered it black from the factory, but over time some blacks fade to a very dark, dull green (a sort of green pigment is often used to make black paints over the years). Otherwise a very rare and desirable combination.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts