Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1982 SEC and have a few questions. The speedo only goes up to 80mph, and the temp wheel is in C instead of F - is this normal foir a US spec car? I ran the VIN and it was originally sold in the US.

Is the hood and trunk lid aluminum or steel, as it does not seem like the usual steel I have seen on my other MB's.

Does the interior pieces from all years fit or did something change in the model run?

The engine has been replaced, not sure of the shape, could be either a fun project or a money pit?

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
85 MPH was the max any car was allowed to display in the early 80's. Celcius is the only option that I know of for temp. The hood and trunk are aluminum. The door panels changed in '86 as did alot of other things.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,271 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve.
Without pictures and VIN, it's hard to tell whether you have a Euro, or US version.
The hood, and trunk lid are aluminum. Is it a 380, or 500?
The door panel and upholstery design was changed in 86, the Gen II leather looks perforated, but will be interchangeable between Gen I or II SEC's.
The Welcome to the Forum announcement / tutorial sticky on top, will show you how to complete your profile with a location, to make it easier for members to offer advice.
It will also show how to search the Forum, to post pictures etc.
The FAQ sticky has a link to the Russian MB club with a good VIN decoder, to get info to where (Country / Dealer) your car was delivered, which options were included etc.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
You have clearly a very early "Gen I" car. Alln is correct on all points. "Gen II" Started Model Year '86 and ran to '91 as mine is one of the last off the line. Hood and trunk are Aluminum, Take care with them, they are a FORTUNE to replace unless you get a salvaged one. Check and watch your oil, make sure you are not burning any excessively. Check and monitor to see if you have any other leaks. It's better with a car like this if you are mechanically inclined, otherwise, unless you have a trusted mechanic in the family, they can get pricey. Remember, we have all been through it, so if you have a question, o concern, ask here. I have completely rebuilt my SEC from the ground up, as others here have. So you can usually find the answer here.

Good Luck with it! There's Nothing like a great running SEC and In my humble opinion, it's one of the most beautiful cars ever made!

M

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You can get fahrenheit for the inside and outside temp display, or celsius. I have both.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
To add to everyone else's comments I would probably not get it if it were a 1982 US 380 SEC even with a replaced engine. Insted, I would opt for an 83 84 85 500 SEC euro version or even an 84/85 US version 500 SEC over the 380. Reasons behind that line is that you will get the extra horse power (although minimal) with the US 500 and much more with the euro (plus just the general "cool" factor of the euro model).

That said, I have a 1984 500 US version. If I were to do it all over again I would wait for a 1990/91 560 SEC to play with. I like the interior of these models (changed in late model year 89 IIRC). You get the center burl roll top, the rear between the seats roll top, and dual airbags upfront with these. And the door panels changed to a "rolled" look insted of the flat perferated door panels.

If you are simply looking for a fun project with a low initial price, ease of working on it and lower maintenance costs due to it's simplicity, go with the euro 500 or us 500.

Just my 2 cents (now worth 1.18 cents)

Have fun with whatever you choose. If you fill out your info with what area you live in someone here may be able to steer you towards a car you may not be aware of.

Greg

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
To add to everyone else's comments I would probably not get it if it were a 1982 US 380 SEC even with a replaced engine. Insted, I would opt for an 83 84 85 500 SEC euro version or even an 84/85 US version 500 SEC over the 380.
Greg
I don't understand, what's wrong with an earlier 1982 500SEC? And what's wrong with a later 1986 500SEC?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I don't understand, what's wrong with an earlier 1982 500SEC? And what's wrong with a later 1986 500SEC?
Nothing wrong with any euro 500 sec no matter the year. I would jump at any year, however it is very difficult to find a 1982 euro 500 sec and next to impossible to find any year euro after 1985 here in the US that is reasonably priced (or at all for that matter).

Since the original poster said that the car he was looking at was delivered here to the USA I presume that he is located in the US. That is also why I suggested he fill in his location.

Good point that you brought up, just a different market here.

Cheers,
Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts